Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went by my local pawn shop to browse around. They had a good condition glock 17 varient. Talked the guy down to $282 out the door. Gun, one 10 round mag, no other accessories. Is it a good price. KT says it was made 5 of 2010, is there anything I need to look for? The mag fit a little loose and I said something about it. KT is sending a new mag real ease no questions asked. I love Kel-Tecs customer service.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would call it a good price.

I just picked up my first Sub 2000 (used) from a local shop for $260 out the door, Glock 17 version with 2 Glock factory mags, 1 hi-cap and 1 10 rounder. It was the first one I've actually seen for sale in a local shop, new or used, and about $150 less than what people have been asking at gun shows and classifieds.

I think if you can get a working one for under $300 you take the deal and run.

·
Registered
67 Posts
where are you located? i'll give ya $300 ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
I only wish that I'd had your opportunity. I gave my lgs a $75 dollar deposit 2 months ago just to get me one (at any reasonable price) . Frankly, I'd be happy to pay up to $350m out-the-door.

So far, no love.

·
Registered
27 Posts
New guy here, getting excited about the Sub2000. I saw a used Glock 9mm version yesterday at the gun shop for $229. I'm not even sure which version it is, the 17 I think. I walked away not knowing enough about them to buy it yet. I had heard of them and thought they were pretty cool. After researching last night and seeing prices and how hard they can be to find I called the shop this morning and had him set it aside for me. Going this afternoon to pick it up. Seems to be in good condition and from the sounds of it I got a half decent price. Anything I should look for or be concerned about before I close the deal?

·
Super Moderator
17,762 Posts
Anything I should look for or be concerned about before I close the deal?
Ask him if you can try a standard Glock 17 mag in it. If the mag fits flush that's what it is. If a little long it's a G19, but will still work with G17 and G18 mags. With the Sub open and extended take hold of the front sight and see if the barrel will twist any against the gun. Don't horse on it, just give it a twist. Older Subs have the barrel Loc-tited in the pivot block, and some can loosen the Loc-tite under heavy use. Remember it is a $300 carbine and not a $1000 AR and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nope, no twist in the barrel and it looked great until I got it home. I put a couple rounds in the mag and tried to see how it would feed by hand and it wouldn't. After removing the mag and looking around with a flashlight the little plastic feed ramp fell out, obviously broken off. Is this an easy fix or should I see if I can take the gun back?

·
Registered
27 Posts
The feed ramp appears to be broken off. It looks like it's actually missing part of it. I think there was enough of it left to feed with the force of firing it but it hung up trying to cycle it by hand. Actually it did feed a few times by hand, especially with the 30 round mag which seems to hold the round up a little higher than the 10 rd mag. But if it doesn't feed by hand I don't try firing it until I know what's up.

I know next to nothing about these guns but from reading posts here my theory is that the kid who owned it before probably pulled the trigger with the bolt out then pried on the feed ramp to reset it and broke the feed ramp.

I called Jimmy at the gun shop and he felt terrible and said he would pay for any parts and/or pay to send it back to Kel-Tec. He's a good guy, never had anything like this happen in over 25 years I've known him so I'm chalking it up as a fluke thing. He said the kid sold it cheap and left the second he got the money in his hand. Obviously the kid knew he had broken it and was just trying to get rid of it as quickly as possible for whatever he could get. Idiot should have sent it back to Kel-Tec himself.

Anyway Jimmy said Kel-Tec is really good and it should not be a problem to get it all fixed up at no cost to me and if they don't take care of me he will. So I will probably just have him send it back to make sure there is nothing else wrong. Hopefully this will still end up being a good deal, I'll just have to be patient.

·
Super Moderator
17,762 Posts
Carl in CT said:
Nope, no twist in the barrel and it looked great until I got it home. I put a couple rounds in the mag and tried to see how it would feed by hand and it wouldn't. After removing the mag and looking around with a flashlight the little plastic feed ramp fell out, obviously broken off. Is this an easy fix or should I see if I can take the gun back?
Call Kel-tec. They will probably just ask for an address and mail you one. It just snaps in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Their Customer service is what always keeps bringing it back to them. Great deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I will call Kel-Tec then and hope all else is well with the gun. It really looks to be in great shape otherwise. I got really lucky I guess as long as no other surprises pop up.

BTW, I know it's lame to join forums, ask a few questions then disappear so I don't intend to do that. I did post a quick intro on the Welcome Wagon Thread but I'll fill in more asap, just been a crazy day today.

Oh and Iceman, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, hope all is well with your new mag release.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just called Kel-Tec and spoke with Shawn. He said it's not a hard repair but any time the gun needs to be opened up they recommend sending it in :(. He said they probably won't charge even though I'm not the original owner and the gun shop said they would take care of it so I guess I'll just send it in. Hopefully it will just be the cost of shipping for the gun shop, nothing more. Honestly I may sleep better knowing they looked at it so I know there's not something else wrong that I didn't catch. The wait will probably be worse than the week before Christmas for a 6 year old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts