Just picked up a P3AT and.........

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rkammer, Aug 11, 2010.

1. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    While I've had several Kel Tecs (PF9, P11) before, I have a question about this P3AT before taking it to the range.

The slide is very difficult to retract. I've taken the pistol down and cleaned and lubed it. I've also polished the feed ramp and the barrel a bit. But, I can barely rack the slide without it slipping out of my fingers. The only way I can retract it regularly is to grab the slide with all my fingers, pull the gun to me, and rack it that way. I can't hold it with just two fingers. Is this normal for a new gun before being broken in? I've looked at some of the U Tube videos and the slide looks pretty easy to rack????

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    there are two forces to over come when racking the slide
    the recoil springs
    the hammer spring

put just the slide on the frame and try racking. try to clean/grease the sliding surfaces that make it hard to rack without the recoil springs. especially the hammer face and the center of the slide.

when installing the recoil springs, try to twist them as inserting into the hole in the slide so that the springs seat squarely and do not inter leave

good luck

3. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Well, that seems to have been the main problem.  When I first buffed it up, I concentrated on the barrel and the portion of the slide that was flat.  I didn't do the mating surfaces of both the hammer and the rear of the slide where the two meet when racking the slide.  After polishing those two surfaces a bit the slide is much easier to rack.  Thanks.   :)

4. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Took it to the range today.........

I had a chance to visit my local indoor range today so, took my P3AT and one of my Colt 1873 clones.  The Kel Tec performed flawlessly with it's first 50 rounds and groups were within about 3 inches at 10 yards. I'm pleased with that.  And, this little gun doesn't punish my hand like I thought it might.  It does kick a might but, no sore spots to fret over.  I'll put another 100 rounds or so thru it and then, think about a carry load.

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    give it a good cleaning, remove any burrs that are developing and lube it good

6. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Welcome to KTOG! What you're describing is normal and you've got nothing to worry about. The slide will be a little hard to rack for a while and then it will get easier. Try polishing the top of the barrel that the slide contacts as it is retracted. That will help make things a little easier for you.

7. rkammer

rkammer New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    I also smoothed out both the barrel top and the slide where they make contact with each other. This also helped. Since it feeds so well, I think I'll just let it wear in naturally from here on out. Thanks for the great hints, guys. ;D