Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the world changes around us, I decided to pick up a KS-7 (Black) for the home.
I love the size and the compactness would seem to make it very suitable for the Home.

That said, I don't like the stock site and handle. Don't understand why they didn't put a rail there instead.

Can someone suggest a rail to replace the handle? Does the rail from the KSG fit as a replacement?
Is there a cartridge holder that fits the KS-7?
Has anyone found a benefit from grip tape?

A quick search didn't find me much, so please be gentle if I'm being redundant.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As the world changes around us, I decided to pick up a KS-7 (Black) for the home.
I love the size and the compactness would seem to make it very suitable for the Home.

That said, I don't like the stock site and handle. Don't understand why they didn't put a rail there instead.

Can someone suggest a rail to replace the handle? Does the rail from the KSG fit as a replacement?
Is there a cartridge holder that fits the KS-7?
Has anyone found a benefit from grip tape?

A quick search didn't find me much, so please be gentle if I'm being redundant.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations. Use the search feature and the term "KS7". There is a thread here where everyone is showing theirs off. That should give you some ideas and be a good place to ask questions. This place isn't as fast as some forums, but I'm sure someone will be along to help you with your questions. I would, but I have a KSG25 so I have no clue.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have an excellent shotgun that is perfectly designed for exactly what you bought it for. Unlike a long gun the KS7 is almost impossible to lever out of ones hands.

Just a suggestion, cycle and dry fire the heck out of it to smooth it out or fluff and buff the innards. It makes a huge difference.

This rail fits the KS7. IDK if it's the same rail as the KSGs but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. It would be smart business.
https://www.keltecweapons.com/product/ks7-1142-picatinny-rail-kit/

Someone makes a longer one if you need it. Is it Hi-Tech? IDK, but it's a lot more $ for just a few more inches. Someone posted about buying a generic rail from ebay(?) and all they needed to do was add a second screw hole, properly placed, and they saved a bunch of money.

There's a KS7 picture thread stickied at the top of this subforum. Lots of discussion in the various threads too regarding mod's. Spend some time and peruse them and I think you'll find it's time well spent.

I haven't played with grip tape, but I did spend time shooting the firearm just handheld with 2 3/4" shells and had no problems. Shouldered it would be even less of a problem. If "grip tape" would be of value I'd like to see it available for the pump handle. Maybe skateboard tape would work on it, but I haven't tested it yet and might never.

Keltec makes a larger buttpad. It's worth getting. So too are Aguila 1 3/4" shells if your particular KS7 feeds them reliably. It changes the mag from a 7 rounder into an 11 rounder. Right now they can be hard or impossible to find, but that will change eventually. They are also reduced recoil. But they must be tested to see if they are reliable. You don't want any surprises if your loved ones are on the line.

But right now your "job" is just to spend some time perusing the subforum. I guarantee that you'll find lots of questions answered and possibly things you didn't even know to think of, and it will be painless.

·
Registered
238 Posts
"Probably" the best option for the KS7 rail conversion is the Kel-Tec factory version.
It's a direct drop-in change and includes a cover for the rear of the barrel.

Several sources sell stick-on grip material made specifically for the Kel-Tec shot guns, and you can install a commercial rubber slip-on grip cover made for other firearms.
You can even make a "Glock sock" like early Glock owners did by cutting a section of bicycle tube and stretching it over the grip.

As above there's plenty of posts on this site on how people have accessorized their KS7's and where to buy the parts.
Just be careful not to over accessorize the gun and make it overly complicated and slower in use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@dfariswheel
Thanks. I was looking at the Kel-Tec rail and the HiTech rail. I had a hard time trying to figure out why the HiTech version was more than double for a tad longer rail.

I'm not trying to overdo things, just want to make the gun more functional. I think a red dot or laser will prove more functional than the stock site on the handgrip

·
Registered
17 Posts
@dfariswheel
Thanks. I was looking at the Kel-Tec rail and the HiTech rail. I had a hard time trying to figure out why the HiTech version was more than double for a tad longer rail.

I'm not trying to overdo things, just want to make the gun more functional. I think a red dot or laser will prove more functional than the stock site on the handgrip
I just went with the Kel-Tec rail myself. I could not really think of what else I want to host on it other than a Red Dot (Sig ROMEO5)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Honestly the only reason to get the Hi-Tech rail is if you plan to also get their rail-mounted 7- or 14-shell carriers, but those are sized more for the width of the KSG so they end up very 'wide body car' on the svelte KS7.

Much like ya'all I just wanted a good red dot mount option, ends up looking like this over on the picture thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honestly the only reason to get the Hi-Tech rail is if you plan to also get their rail-mounted 7- or 14-shell carriers, but those are sized more for the width of the KSG so they end up very 'wide body car' on the svelte KS7.

Much like ya'all I just wanted a good red dot mount option, ends up looking like this over on the picture thread.
I ordered the Kel-Tec rail and extended butt pad. I decided on the butt pad because of our ages (65 & 69), and my wife already has shoulder issues.
Looking for a cartridge holder and red dot and that should do it.

BTW, if you have not noticed, this is now a $700 gun!

·
Registered
478 Posts
i found putting grip tape on the front grip kept my hand from slipping under recoil as well as leting you rack it with a lot less of a hard grip. when you put it on(i cut mine from generic pieces and used it on handguns too, really makes racking a little .380 slide a lot easier) a careful warm with a heat gun and it will actually mold into the grip pattern. makes it look really custom
front grip.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
"terry_tr6, post: 2503250, member: 110839"]i found putting grip tape on the front grip kept my hand from slipping under recoil as well as leting you rack it with a lot less of a hard grip. when you put it on(i cut mine from generic pieces and used it on handguns too, really makes racking a little .380 slide a lot easier) a careful warm with a heat gun and it will actually mold into the grip pattern. makes it look really custom View attachment 51828 [/QUOTE]

The grip tape arrived today. I ordered one of the pre-cut sets.
Their cut was accurate and I used a heat gun as you suggested to help form it to the gun.
I also used an X-acto to cut in the 4 screw holes in the pump section.
Pistol Grip Wrap.jpg
Pump Wrap.jpg
Wrap packaging.jpg

Wrap packaging.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts