Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
;D
Got the unit today.  Very nice!  Very clean molding on the body.  No sharp spots or areas that needed a trim or attention.  The bore looked very clean with nothing looking like it needed attention.  Just nice and clean and shinny.  The slide and body color match was better then others I had looked at.  My numbers start with J05.

I field striped it.  Cleaned it with gun scrub, and lubed with Rem Oil.  Hit the slide etc with a very slight tad of grease (Tri-Flow), as indacated on this board.  Cleaned the bore with a wire brush (one way) etc.

Put it back togeather and took it shooting with a bunch of Pumpkins (no that is not what I call my shooting buddies).

I loaded 3 mags up with UMC FMJ.  My first round with this gun hit a 6" steel plate at 60"

Who says you can't use the sights on this thing!

I ended up shooting 50 rounds.  I had one falure to feed at about round #20 something.  I do not know why?  Needs more brake in?  Cleaning?  Or I held it wrong ?  I do not know, but to soon and to few rounds though it to care.

I know my Glock 21 took about 200 rounds before it loaded a round every time.

So I will clean it tonight, and give it onother good feeding in the next few days.

I shot slow, and fast.  The miss-feed was on slow shooting.

The grips are better then I expected, but tonight I will be making a nice spongy but thin grip cover.

I have small hands.  I don't know how a big handed person holds the thing without a better grip on it.

In short, glad I got it.  Nicer out of the box then expected.  Looking forward to the addition of at lest 100 rounds though it.

Before I carry as my CCW, it will have to go 200 to 300 rounds without a hitch, or more.

I do feel that once I get us to it, and give it some break in time, I should have no problems.
My Adavice.....
What's to think about, just buy the little BUGer!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Congrats! I bought mine last week so it's new to me as well. I have put 500 through it(no, I haven't go that 7 yard 1" group yet) and just like the Glock, it has started performing even better than new. I haven't used the "sights" yet, I consider it more of a point gun, but glad to hear they do work! 8)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
;D The sights DO work! I tried them this morning at 7' and hit the 10 spot 7 out of 7! Looking forward to shooting some Gel this afternoon now that I know I'll be able to place shots exactly where I want em! ;D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congrats on the new gun!

224lps said:
I have small hands. I don't know how a big handed person holds the thing without a better grip on it.
Tight. We hold them real tight. ;D I have hands that are often described as huge. If I choke up real tight on my P3AT, I can get 1 1/2 fingers around the grip, but practically speaking, the only finger around the grip is my "sign language" finger. I can fire it without a problem, but I am not nearly as accurate with it as I am with some of my other guns, and I think that a lot of it has to do with my grip, or lack thereof. But, I figure if I am going to have to shoot a bad guy with it, he is going to be close enough that aiming is really going to be pointing.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

Gave the gun a nice cleaning from the range trip yesterday.  I "lubed" it this time with the stuff that came with it.

Hit the range with 250 rounds, and some clay pigeons.

I want to be able to just point this thing and hit a clay at up to 30 to 40 feet.

The good news is, I got to the point were I could point , fire, and hit the clay in 1 to 4 shots.  At ranges of 30 to 40 feet.

Bad new is my P3AT defiantly need to return to it's Florida home for a make over.

I could not go more then 20 round without a failure to extract or failure to feed.

I inspected the brass on the failure to extract, but saw no markings. The screw holding the extractor is tight.

Sometimes it would happen 2 shots in a row!  Or as few as 4 rounds between a jam.

It happened on slow fire and rapid.  Tight grip or loose.

First round on a fresh reload, or 4th or 5th round.

Every time I reloaded, or cleared a jam, I did it the same, chamber a round, and top off the magazine.  Fire till empty or next jam, then repeat.

On loading the mag, I would tap the mag after loading to make sure al rounds were lined up, and seated.

I used the same mag the whole time

On inserting the mag, I did not jam it in or hit it home.  I inserted it firmly.

I did fire and reload fast enough that the front of the slide got and stayed right toasty.

With over 300 rounds though it, it should be getting more reliable.  Not worse.  And boy do I need to get grips for this.  The webbing between my thumb and finger got a little chewed up.

Also I had one incident that really has me wondering.  I pulled the trigger, and it did not fire.  I’m not talking about a hang fire.  I pulled the trigger, all the way and felt a click, but the hammer did not move.  I released the trigger and pulled it again (I did not touch the slide etc.) bag, gun fired…….

I may repost this as a separate post to get responses?????

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Re: Update

224lps said:
Also I had one incident that really has me wondering.  I pulled the trigger, and it did not fire.  I’m not talking about a hang fire.  I pulled the trigger, all the way and felt a click, but the hammer did not move.  I released the trigger and pulled it again (I did not touch the slide etc.) bag, gun fired…….
Since that only happened once, consider that you may not have allowed the trigger to fully reset.  It must return fully forward (2 clicks) or the gun is snapping off the hammer block and will light strike.

Regarding the other issues, what kind of ammo?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Indeed maybe you will need to send her back, but I recommend running a few more rounds through her. Try some different ammo and give her one more good range trip. If the problems continue or get worse then I would send her back home for a bit.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It takes me more time to strip and clean the gun etc., then to go to walmart and then the range. And as I can't do anything about sending it till Monday. I'll get 100 round in the white box at Walmart and see what happens.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Be sure you clean and lube it first. And make sure that extractor screw is snug. Also keep your wrist locked and pivot at the elbow. Watch for limpwristing which is very easy to do with this gun.

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:eek:
It’s eating itself.

OK I bought a box of white box Winchester ammo from Wal Mart, and was going to go shooting this a.m. to see how it works with other ammo.

But first I needed to give it a good cleaning, lubing and oiling.  When I went to take the slide off the frame I noticed I could see daylight between the grip and the slide in the front part of the P3AT, but not the back.  Also looking at the gun with the barrel facing me, there was a large gap between the bottom if the slide, and the grip.

I do not recall this being like this when I got it.

Looking at the gun from the side, the gap is extreme at the barrel end, with no gap to be seen down at the hammer end.

It looks like the slide has an upward angel on the grip.

The gap on the front side is so bad, I can easily slip the corner of two credit cards (one on top of the other) between the grip and the slide.

I pulled the assembly pin and took the slide off the frame/rails.  Not good.  Lots of metal shavings all over the place.  The recoil spring guide, on the end that rests against the notch on the underside of the barrel, is no longer round.  It is getting squared off, and is cutting into the bottom of the frame, just in front of where the top of the trigger shows though.  Also on the front top of the frame, right at the beginning of the rails, I have about 1/8 of an inch of extreme wear on the inside of the start of the rails.

Yes, before every usage of this gun, it have been cleaned , lubed, and oiled as recommended in this post:
http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm.

Right out of the box I cleaned with “Gun Scrub” (synthetic safe), Lubed with Tri-Flow grease, and oiled with Rem Oil.

Took it to the range, fired at least 100 rounds.  Had the Failure to feed issue.

Striped and re-cleaned same as above but instead of Rem-Oil, I used the stuff that came with the gun.

Took it out for at least 200 rounds.  Had more issues as noted.  Failure to feed, and now failure to eject.

The frame seems to be tight in place.  The pins in the frame are in place and flush with the grip.   Obviously something is extremely wrong, and this gun may be becoming unsafe to use.  I’m guessing that it is out of specs due to the gap.  But as to why the gap is there?  Could be misplacement of the pin holes on either the frame or the grip?

There is no sign of wear on the barrel. Extractor screw is tight.  The slide looks good also, with no spots where the finish has been worn.

I will stop using it, and return it to Kel Tec.  At over 300 rounds, it should be broken-in, not broken

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
224lps said:
When I went to take the slide off the frame I noticed I could see daylight between the grip and the slide in the front part of the P3AT, but not the back.
The gap is normal, the failures to feed and failures to eject are not.

Wilson – who’s thinking a call to 1-800-515-9983 might be in order

PS I never put more than 50 rounds thru it without a clean & lub. I also use finger extensions during break-in, which helps with any tendency towage limpwristing :)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wilson said:
The gap is normal, the failures to feed and failures to eject are not.

Wilson – who’s thinking a call to 1-800-515-9983 might be in order  
ok so the gap is no big thing. What about the wear on the frame at the start of the railes, and in front of were the tringer shows at the bottom, and the damadge to the reciol spring rod?

·
Registered
11 Posts
224lps said:
ok so the gap is no big thing.  What about the wear on the frame at the start of the railes, and in front of were the tringer shows at the bottom, and the damadge to the reciol spring rod?
Mines doing the exact same thing, only 120 rds. fired so far. Only function problem I'm having though is the failure to eject, mostly on the last round in the mag.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
224lps said:
What about the wear on the frame at the start of the railes, and in front of were the tringer shows at the bottom, and the damadge to the reciol spring rod?
Every one of my P-3AT has the same wear as steel is harder than aluminum. The wear will stop when the slide is happy with the fit.

I have a few recoil rods with a flat side on the head. Call Kel-Tec and they will send you a new spring guide rod free if you ask.

Wilson – who’s no longer bothering with Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black :-[

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.