Just got back from Alaska

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by shottingcouple, Jun 24, 2011.

1. shottingcouple

shottingcouple New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    We went bear hunting and fishing. Fishing was not as good as I hoped but the bear hunting was great.
    [​IMG]
    300 pounds 18 inch skull and she had just come out of the cave her coat was perfect and claws long and sharp as hell.
    [​IMG]
    We did get into some salmon one day it was a lot of fun
    [​IMG]
    I can get a little crabby when I am away from home to long! LOL
    [​IMG]

2. mkamer

mkamer New Member

May 19, 2005
    Congrats on the bear. It's a beauty!

3. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
  4. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Looks like you had a good time up there! What rifle did you take the bear with? What were the details of the hunt?

5. shottingcouple

Aug 10, 2007

Rem 700 in 308, was shooting federal 150 grain softnose. Bear was about 50 yards away sitting with its back to me just behind a big log.
    I hit her right between the shoulder blades and she went right down. (no cubs) she was 2 1/2 year old about 300 pounds. Perfect coat, she looked like she just came out of hibernation.
    We were hunting the logging roads due to the bears hunting deer fawns that were all over the roads. Mine had 2 in her belly.
    Hunting was simple walk a logging road find a place with good grass and sit and wait, No bear, move along to next good looking spot. Mine was walking down the road as we came around a bend. She saw us and just ran off about 50 yards and thought she was hidden behind the log.

6. snyguy

snyguy New Member

May 23, 2011
    Looks like you had a great time and got a nice bear too!

7. shottingcouple

Aug 10, 2007
    I got my skull back yesterday and man did he do a great job!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. snyguy

snyguy New Member

May 23, 2011
    Your skull looks great! Did you have anything done with your fur? It looks in the picture like it would make a beautiful rug.

9. shottingcouple

Aug 10, 2007

Thanks here is the fianl skull mount I made a palque in the shape of Alaska and made a wall mount out of it.
    The hide is at the taxidermist right now I am getting a half mount done with it!

[​IMG]

10. mrtonga22

mrtonga22 New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Congrats, good looking bear. What did you do w/ skin?

11. shottingcouple

Aug 10, 2007

It is at the taxidermist I am getting a half mount done

12. mrtonga22

mrtonga22 New Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Sweet, shootingcouple...cant wait to see it. I'm going bear hunting next year in Wyoming. Hopefully it turns out like your trip to Alaska!

13. shottingcouple

Aug 10, 2007

I doubt you will see any whales out there but you sure will be in a great place for hunting!

14. btb601

btb601 New Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Wow, total jealous. I should have moved up there when I had the chance. Paradise