Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if everybody does this when they start, but I was going to keep a thread on my Kel Tec ownership. If the mods would prefer I just add info to other threads, PM me and I can.

I had discovered the Sub 2000 a while back and was very interested in it from the beginning. I finally decided I wanted to try and get one (probably to let my girlfriend [fiancé now] shoot more than myself). I started looking pretty earnestly and was having trouble finding one locally. I finally did, but it was priced well above retail, so I just wasn't willing to do it. Well, I was out killing some time yesterday and I dropped in the gun dept of a local store to look around. I asked the guy, you don't happen to have a Sub 2000 do you? As it turns out, they had just gotten a G17 version in and had it priced well below retail. I couldn't talk myself out of getting it! Bought an extra Magpul 17 rounder with it. I have a G19, but if the KT grip is much shorter, it seems like it would be a pain. I also have a Glock 33 round mag.

Haven't shot it yet, but playing around with it is basically exactly what I expected. I really like it and it should be a fun toy.

Of course, one of the main benefits to this thing is the foldability and the size. So I started looking around for something to carry it in. This bag works perfectly, an old briefcase from a place I used to work. It's pretty high quality and sized perfectly with good organization in it.

And in seconds:

As far as mods to the gun, I don't plan to do much of anything, but we will see. I can see that the padded piece for the cheek would be good. And one of those streamlight weaponlights with the integrated laser and flashlight would be very nice. as well. Other than that, not much else needed, I don't think. I'll report back when I get to shoot it to add further thoughts.

-Bart

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Bart, good snag. One suggestion for consideration. Look into putting a small laser on the forward end of the lower rail. That way you only have to move a finger on your left hand slightly when you aim to turn it on. It works great for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bart, good snag. One suggestion for consideration. Look into putting a small laser on the forward end of the lower rail. That way you only have to move a finger on your left hand slightly when you aim to turn it on. It works great for me.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe the streamlight with the light and laser.

I saw people posted prices on here as well. Mine was new and. $345. I was very surprised they had one, especially at that price.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
That's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe the streamlight with the light and laser.

I saw people posted prices on here as well. Mine was new and. $345. I was very surprised they had one, especially at that price.
You will like the Streamlight TLR-4 light/laser combo. I have one with a red laser and a TLR-4G with a green laser. The lights are strong enough to light up any target within 40 yards. The lasers reach far beyond the reasonable shooting distance of a sub2000. The green lasers seem to be more visible in the daylight, but cost twice as much as the red laser version.

I just ordered another TLR-4 with the red laser. I shopped diligently and, unexpectedly, found the cheapest price at Walmart ($108.98, plus tax - and I get free shipping)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a bit on the cheap side when I'm not sure if something will work so I picked up a green NC Star laser for 34 bucks and I love it. Good out to about 75 yds. Steady and so far holds its aim.

·
Registered
153 Posts

No man in his right mind would walk away from a new G-17 model Sub2k Gen 2 at that price. Use to be able to find them here at that price but for the last few years they go for much more than that.

I am on my 4th Sub having worked my way from a Sub9 up to my present Sub2k Multi-mag. I would advise a person to keep it simple as that is what the Sub is all about. Don't load it up with expensive "upgrades" that change a simple, light, handy carbine into a heavy expensive toy.

My Subs have all run great and never really gave me any drama. I just added a little reflex sight I had laying around to mine and a front sling mount and she is ready to go. Keep it light, keep is simple. Enjoy!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Tlr-4

I have nothing but good to say about the TLR-4, got mine online for $100 from Amazon. Had it mounted on an AK pistol for a year, that's a lot of recoil and muzzle blast, always held zero. When I got the SUB2k I wasn't sure what optic to use so I moved the TLR-4 over, so if my QD red dot doesn't hold zero I've got the laser.

For outdoor use go green, the red dot disappears in bright sunlight. I think the green tlr4 is about $200.

Streamlight has other models with higher lumens flashlights, they usually take the larger CR123 batteries over the smaller CR2s. I didn't need a light but have other stuff that takes CR2s and CR123s so I have spares. They have a much longer run time than the quarter sized CR2032s and smaller batteries.

My TLR-4 red laser has an 11 hour run time, nothing comes close to that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regarding the light, I have several CR123 lights and a stash of batteries - nothing with a CR2 at the moment.

Quick range report: Went out to shoot yesterday for the first time. It was freezing cold, so didn't stay too long or get too fancy. The plan was to let my fiancé shoot a group, shoot one myself and then if they matched to adjust the sights (BTW, made a front sight adjust tool using a spent 30-06 shell).

We started on a 25 yard target. She was shooting about 6" low, but grouping good. I followed up and put two in the bullseye and one just out. She doesn't have a lot of experience shooting, so I explained how I was using the sights again. She shot another group, still low. She was having trouble focusing and freezing temps and waterey eyes weren't helping. So we decided not to adjust for her until she could practice more on a warmer day. However, I kelp playing with it. I was rapidly ringing a 12x12 steel plate at 50 yards, shot a full great stuff can at 25, shot a ~6x3" piece of cinderblock at 50 with a first shot, 6-8" group at 100 yards (keep in mind, this is all with the factory open sights not adjusted and on a freezing day). My brother and I were both very impressed with this gun. No recoil, used everything from 147gr to 115g +P to 135 g subsonic with no malfunction, accurate, lightweight, simple...

Made a couple other quick mods at well:
- Added a Hogue rubber grip leftover from my G19
- Added a 1.5" pice of masking tape for base and a 1.5" strip of female Velcro on top of it for a cheek rest on the tube - doesn't pull out my beard hair now and much more comfy to shoot when it's 30º out!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just stuck a 1.5"x4" wide piece of self adhesive felt I found in my junk drawer on my tube, then wrapped the tube in a piece of moleskin and made a cutout for the charge handle groove. The felt gives just a bit of cushioning without rising too high and the moleskin is easy on the face. I wrapped the cheek piece on my High Point .45 carbine with moleskin and it was a big improvement over the textured plastic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice looking rifle and interesting bag too. I did an internship in NTN-Bower back in the 1980's.

Someday I hope to pick up a sub-2k. Been looking at them for many years. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice looking rifle and interesting bag too. I did an internship in NTN-Bower back in the 1980's.

Someday I hope to pick up a sub-2k. Been looking at them for many years. :)
Which plant? I worked at the Hamilton, AL one for 9.5 years.

If you find one at a fair price, you should. It's a load of fun!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.