Just Got a Scare

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by vinpar092, Jul 22, 2009.

1. vinpar092

vinpar092 New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    My wife and I were at a local shooting pit practicing some drills. We were changing shooting locations and addressing a metal object hanging off the ground at 15 yards. After 2 hits you moved to a new position in a somewhat tactical manner, as might occur in my home the way it is laid out. After my wife shot the small course with my PF-9 I addressed it with her P-3AT. On the last stage, I could not hit the metal object with my second shot (shameful) and kept addressing it. When suddenly something hit my thumb and struck my face. Man that was scary. The first thing that I thought was &^%$. Then I thought of the guy on you tube shooting the 50 cal and the projectile came back hit the ground then struck him on the top of his head knocking off his muffs (obviously not the same fire power, but still scary). Know I used to get struck as a kid with bb's all the time, but never something that could have really hurt me. Nothing happened to my thumb and I sustained some abrasion to my cheek (luckily, no penetration). At that point .... we chose to shoot aluminum cans ;D

Vince

2. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    angle angle angle

Angle metal targets downwards.

You'll shoot your eye out, Ralphie!

Glad you and your wife are both ok. Hope you didn't have to throw your underwear away. I would have.

3. vinpar092

vinpar092 New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    I'm a little surprised. I opened what I consider to be a big door about lack of safety on my part or lack of thinking of all possible safety issue's and only you bit (a little). I was very glad that it was me and not my wife. Thanks for asking. I was actually shooting the metal target at roughly 30 degrees. The projectile must have hit a jagged edge just right. Everyone that goes to that pit to shoot brings some kind of junk, an old TV, old propane bottle, etc. Everyone just shoots away and even I have never considered the safety precautions. So please, everyone be safe. Take a moment and consider safety and the safety of others. Yesterday I could have been getting stitches or worse.

Have a great day and Happy Shooting

Vince

4. oak1971

oak1971 New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Many people have a oh crap! moment. I know i have.  Not many admit it, and fewer learn from it. Glad you are ok.

5. old300

old300 New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    I was thinking about the same Youtube clip at the range the other day when I kept feeling little splatters on my face and hands. It would be nice if the target hangers had some sort of buffer or padding so the little fragments wouldn't scare the b-jesus out of me.

6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    At an old range with a metal angled backstop I had a friend's 40s&w fragment hit me in the right pinky finger. It hit hard and stung, to be honest I thought I would find my finger hanging but it just took the skin off. The backstop was pretty cratered and I would guess that's what caused the fragment to head my way.
    I haven't been back to that range even though it was free, maybe with some frangable ammo I would go back.

CJ

7. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 Member

Apr 24, 2008
    Glad you and your wife are OK, Vince.

8. DaveNC

DaveNC Active Member

Mar 7, 2008
    When your shooting metal targets I expect to get hit with some lead or copper. As long as your wearing eye protection there is no need to worry. I have a dueling tree that I have been shooting for years and there is always some fragmentation that occurs so I force everyone that I'm shooting with to have eye protection. It's pretty normal IMO.

Please note that my metal target swings so it takes a LOT of the energy out of the fragmentation. A solid metal target is a bit different and I don't think I would be shooting one.

9. vinpar092

vinpar092 New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    I went back to the pit where the fragments hit me and found the problem. Fragment had built up in this metal hollow target. The frament were stacked up so thick that I'm sure when I shot the metal the bullet struck the fragments and threw them back at me. I dumped all the fragments out so that doesn't happen again (Its so shot up that it shouldn't last long enough to happen again)

Vince