Just got a phone call

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by peorie1, Jul 2, 2009.

1. peorie1

peorie1 New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    I heard the voice, Mike, Your kel-tec is here.....Yahoo!!! Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow. I bought one from a gunsight and had it shipped to a FFL dealer here where i live and it has come in. I've been waiting on that rascal for over a week. I hope I have better luck with it out of the box than I have with my plr 22. I've heard of some misfeeding with this one too, but I can't wait and see how she shoots. It might be some extra fireworks on the 4th. :)

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Based on the nearly one year love affair I've had with my SU-22, I bet you are going to like that fun little rifle.

Congrats! [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Range report ASAP!

3. peorie1

peorie1 New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Good news about the SU 22. She is cycling like it is suppose to. I hope I'm not saying this too soon, but I cleaned her good and ran about 10 rounds thru without a problem. Waiting on the red dot scope to come in now.

4. peorie1

peorie1 New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    OK Tell me what to check on this deal.. It is not misfeeding, but it won't fire after one shot now. It is ejecting the spent cartridge and replacing it with a new, but the trigger won't pull. It is not recocking the firing pin.?? Can anyone tell me what to do or try on this?? Thanks in advance. It has been a heck of a day. I'm thankful to have 2 days in a row off, because I usually work 6 days a week from 8am to at least 6:30pm so I'm not going to complain too bad, but I got up and went out with both guns, pistol still misfeeding but rifle cycled about 10 rounds. I went back out later on and fired the rifle and it did as described above. I went back in and ordered me a red dot scope and a green laser. I looked at my email a little while later and optics planet is out of stock on both things I ordered...... :'(. I think I will just go to bed!! LOL :eek:

5. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    It sounds like the SU-22 isn't cycling fully. If so, the bolt is moving back far enough to eject the sent brass and strip a new round off the magazine (about 1/2 way back), but not far enough to c0ck the hammer (about 3/4 of the way back). You can confirm this by looking in the ejection port slot behind the bolt  as you start to pull back on the operating handle. If you see the hammer rise up as it arcs back with the back of the bolt, the hammer is resting on the back of the bolt, and it isn't c0cked. You can eject the magazine, slowly pull the operating handle back (don't grab the unfired round and eject it) and you should be able to pull the bolt all the way back to c0ck the hammer and then ease it all the way forward again. Do this with the rifle pointed down range any time there's a live round in the chamber, just in case. If the hammer is now c0cked, it's not cycling all the way. It's probably one of the following, or a combination of more than one.

1) Low power ammo.

2) Excess friction in the operation. Is it creaky when the operating handle is cycled? Difficult to cycle? Is it clean and well lubed (outside of bolt, inside of recoil spring tube)? Any burrs on the bolt, especially the bottom, or any stray bits of flashing inside the receiver where the bolt slides? Both halves of the bolt aligned and securely tightened?

The SU-22 is accurate, so the parts are precisely fitted. With manufacturing tolerance, some will have more interference than others. Maybe your SU-22 just needs to wear in a little bit to polish the surfaces that are rubbing against each other. You might try manually cycling the action with no ammo and no magazine a few hundred times, or maybe shoot some high velocity (high power) ammo to help with the break-in process?

6. peorie1

peorie1 New Member

Jun 29, 2009
    I'm ready for the red dot scope that I have coming. I got the federal ammo today and when I got home, I loaded 2 clips and went to the back yard. She spit out 26 rounds rapid fire without a problem. So now that I have 3300 rounds of the federals, i should be able to plink for a while. ;D