Just got a P3AT, some questions.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mgregg85, Sep 27, 2008.

1. mgregg85

mgregg85 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    So I bought a used HC/OD green P3AT, the serial number starts with the letters "HRU" and I've got a few questions...

The rear sight notch appears to be off center in it's groove, is this normal? If this doesn't sound right I will take a picture.

Is this serial number range subject to the guide rod problems that would require one of those washers?

Anything else I should know about this tiny little pistol? I'm carrying winchester ranger ammo in it right now, thats what the guy who previously owned it had and he passed the almost full box on to me. Anyone try winchester rangers out of a P3AT yet?

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You are well before the batch of bad slides so it shouldn't be an issue. But putting in the JFB washer never hurts. It could be a mental comfort thing for you. You can pull the guide rod out and look at where at goes through. If it's paper thin get a washer, if it's "dime" thickness you should be okay.

Show some pics of the sight please, it doesn't sound right.

-Scott

3. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

You might want to run a few rounds thru it and make sure it hits near point of aim and functions well before you depend on it. Used guns are a crap shoot--but likely we, or Kel-Tec can get it running if it doesn't function 100%.

4. mgregg85

mgregg85 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    I'm going to shoot it tommorrow, I'll try to get a picture of the sight.

5. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    [quote author=mgregg85 link=1222565652/0#0 date=1222565652]So I bought a used HC/OD green P3AT, the serial number starts with the letters "HRU" and I've got a few questions...

Hi mgregg85,
    My SS# HUExx, second Generation started with HHxxx.
    You got one of the first 2 gen.
    Should be good.  I have no troubles with mine.
    Welcome aboard. Have fun with the little guy.
    I love mine.
    Charlie.

6. sgelles

sgelles New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Where can I get more info on this guide rod and washer issue? My serial number stats with JMK.

Thanks,

7. mgregg85

mgregg85 New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    So then it looks like I have the old hammer block, would it be worthwhile to have Kel-Tec install the new version?

Also would it be worthwhile to get the new style extractor if I haven't experienced any problems yet?

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    There is no "new style extractor." 1st generation weapons have one style and 2nd generation (which you have) have one style. There are no updates to the extractor.

The new hammer block is something that only you can answer. Quite frankly it is one of those things that really wasn't a problem and no one "needed" it until all of a sudden it came out. If you fully release your trigger after every shot the trigger resets just fine with the "old" style. The new style is only beneficial for someone who just can't train themselves to fully release a trigger. Even with the "new" style you are still going to have to fully release the trigger before it will fire, but you won't have to slightly rack the slide to "reset" things if you try and fire after only a partial release.

Go shoot your new toy for a while and then see if it really needs anything at all.

-Scott

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    [​IMG]

I'd start in the P3AT section and look for "peening" and/or "JFB washer"  There are 10's of threads on this. JMK just might be in the range but even if it is only a few of those in the range had a problem, not every one.

-Scott