Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post so let me start off by saying Hi. I just bought a Used C.A (for $500.00) and have been reading some of the post on the rifle. I have been manually polishing the bolt with 600 grit. Have cleaned the recoil spring, piston rod (which had heavy fouling) and have cleaned the bolt and removed and cleaned (not the rubber) extractor with solvent. I bought an extra tension extractor spring and grommet and was wondering if any of you use them? I also cleaned the crap out (no pun intended) of the of the chamber as well as the barrel. A friend of mine said that Tetra gun lube would be a good thing to put on the underside of the bolt and on the piston rod and the bolt as well. What do you think?
I also was wondering if it would be ok to sand & polish the piston rod? I hope to go the the range this Sunday and try it. Bought some PMC ammo at primary arms and I bought some 20rd promags. What else am I missing?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome Arch Stanton. I am fairly new as well. Looks like you have cleaned the firearm well and are ready for the 1st outing. I am not familiar with Tetra gun lube, but I normally use CLP on my traditional firearms or good gun oil. Hoppe's and others mentioned here are petroleum distillates. Not sure if these are the best for use on a polymer based firearm.
I just try and keep contact with the frame limited. Let the iron insides drain for a while after oiling before complete rifle assembly.
On the Piston I might use a kitchen green scowering pad dabbed with a bit of Hoppes powder solvent for difficult residue, wipe dry as possible then coat with a very thin layer of quality gun oil. I would use any sandpaper as a last resort because that would remove metal as well.
Best of shooting experience expected Mr. Stanton :) Get back with us and let us know how it went.
Oh, I have found a bore snake works well on the SU-16. All the experts agree a rifle should be cleaned from the breach to the muzzle. This avoids rifeling/crown damage and such. Since there isn't a straight shot from the breach with a solid aluminum rod as used on a AR for example, this is the next best thing. I bought a Hoppe's bore snake in the .22/.223 size and it works well. I don't saturate it with CLP, but I do spray a short burst into the chamber and on the brass cleaning bristles of the bore snake. It's hard to pull through, but a nice shiny barrel awaits you in the end :)

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Arch, first off
enjoy that new gun..

I'm also a newbie to these SU's..fun little gun though...looks like Kent covered most everything..I too like the CLP put some on, wipe off most of it and reassemble..not sure about the extra tension spring...I'm of the thinking if it aint broke, don't fix it..if you have problems with that, give it a try otherwise not..but thats me..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, you new guys are awesome! You've done the research. That first cleaning no matter what you use is the best thing to make for a flawless running gun. Especially a good chamber cleaning. Thanks for doing your homework. If everyone did that we would probably hear fewer stories about jams. I'm tired of the posts of somebody buying a used dirty SU-16 that had 1000 rounds of cheap ammo shot through it before it was sold, and go direct to the range. Then they complain, and say the gun is junk.
I'm sure you guys will be satisfied, and surprised. Have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys for the warm welcome and the suggestions. I will let you know how it goes. I'll leave the extractor as is and Post some pics soon. Just bought a Y.H.M comp for it and sling from kel Tec also. I hope the sling works well. .Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Oooo... give a report on the sling...I've not gotten a sling yet..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts