Just doin the math

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by cherokeebd, Jan 29, 2011.

1. cherokeebd

cherokeebd New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Ammo Cost:

* $19.95 and tax for a box of 20 Win. Bonded Personal Protection .380 rounds.
    * $34.95 and tax for a box of 100 Win. Whitebox .380 FMJs.
    * $14.95-$24.95 for various other 50 round boxes of .380 ammo I see in display cases in my area.
    * A little elbow grease and about 11 bucks per 100 rounds by loading my own, including having to buy commercially cast bullets and once fired brass. If I recover most of the little devils, the cost of loading my next thousand rounds will drop significantly.

Accuracy:

Handloads seemed a little more accurate than factory ammo during about 6 months of shooting a PPK. Factory and reloads seem at least comparable after running 100 rounds through my new P-3AT.

Power: I haven't chronographed'em yet, but considering that the P.O.I. of my handloads and Win. factory loads are similar, I think I can assume they're close in velocity.

Function: Handloads appear to be at least the equal of factory loads in both guns. Neither has glitched in the Kel-Tec.

Hmmmmm........Unless discussion of handloads is a no-no on this forum, I'm a little surprised there is not more chatter/info ref. reloading for the P-3AT.

Am I missing something??

Cherokee    

2. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    My brother has been reloading for something like 40 years. I get a lot of my practice .44 mag, .44 special, 9mm and .380 rounds from him. The .380 has come in 2 flavors, 90 grain hard cast round nose and 100 grain (or is it 105 grain?) hard cast flat nose. Believe the .380s  use 3.2 grains of powder. I can check with my brother if you want as to type and grains of powder. I really like the FN rounds, playing around I found they will penetrate both sides of a steel water holding tank!

I've only used the reloads in my practice .380 not in my carry .380 - which has only shot jacketed factory ammo.

Take care...

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Nah, a lot of people here roll their own. I would too if there was more room in my apartment.

4. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    All forums seem to have a certain way they're slanted due to the interests of the users and reloading isn't it for this one.

I get my reloading fix from 5 or 6 other forums I frequent but if anyone asks something I know about on this board I'll answer it of course.

I've been reloading since Moses parted the Red Sea and I reload .380 ACP.  With what people are charging for it I can't believe a lot of others don't.  Maybe they just don't shoot as much as me or maybe they have more money...who knows.

My load is Berry's plated 100 grain bullets over 2.9 Grains of Unique with an OAL of 0.955".  Very accurate, mild recoil and cheap.

Did I mention they were cheap?

5. Walnut_Red

Walnut_Red New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I have not started reloading for 380 yet but it's on my To-Do list. Though for once I may buy factory cast bullets simply because I have enough trouble keeping up with casting for calibers I shoot a lot. Plan on using Bullseye at this point mainly because I have a 8lb keg of it I've been working on for a couple years. Given that most of the calibers I use BE in have charges in the 2.5-3.5 range I may never use that keg up.

6. cherokeebd

cherokeebd New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Thanks, but no need to ask your bro., BillK. I've found a pretty good'un.

Learned a few decades ago, when in Rome, do as the Romans. I'm with you Ka6otm, just go with the flow (and ignore that ol saw that claims even a dead fish can go with the flow :eek:).

Used to frequent the SASS Wire and they didn't 'llow no load discussions.

Got no sweat with the "slant" of this forum. Seem like good folks to me.

Just wonderin.

Thanks,

Cherokee

Psssst, Red...... 2.9 gr. BE and a 95 gr. cast RN out of my P-3AT groups tightly and hits right where the gallusses cross.

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I'd never make a good reloader... I'd round it off to 3 grains and be done with it. :)

8. cherokeebd

cherokeebd New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Been a shooter better than a half century. Still somewhat of a greenhorn reloader, sine I've only been at it for a little more than 3 decades. Believe it was on Day 1 that my loading mentor set me straight on the rounding off bit.

As a result I'm still above the grass, have my eyes, hands, fingers, and the hair that's missing wasn't burnt off.

I'm glad I am relating what still works, as this may have been a post of record length and variety of  :eek: :-? ::) :-X :-[ :-/ :'( used had I tried to detail all my parts that no longer work as intended. ;D

Cherokee

9. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Only 3 decades? You are still new at it. :)

My father started me off flying model airplanes, casting bullets and reloading when I was 9. It was an all out effort to keep me out of trouble as I was a bit wired in those days.

You're right about the rounding off, of course. It isn't something you want to do as you and I well know. I teach someone to reload around once a year every year. And I always tell them that if you are willing to do it right, it's very safe. If you aren't, it's extremely dangerous. It's the same speech I used to give back when I was an Assistant Instructor of Scuba Diving. And at the end of my little speech, I always hold up both hands and say "see, 8 fingers and 2 thumbs and I intend to keep it that way.

10. Walnut_Red

Walnut_Red New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks Cherokee, I'll give that a try. I reload but I'm not really much of an experimenter. The very first makarov load I tried cycled the action reliably, shot to point of aim and was more accurate than any factory load I'd tried. So that is the ONLY mak load I've ever tried. A friend who loves to experiment could not believe I stopped with one load. Even when I pointed out I'd achieved everything I was looking for with that load, so I felt it was time to go on to other projects.

11. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I've been reloading .380 with Winchester 231 powder, Berrys plated round nose, mixed brass and primers and OAL @ .970. I set the chrony @ 10' and got the following out of my P3AT:

3.0 grains Win 231 665 fps
    3.4 776
    3.6 834

I finally settled on 3.2 grains of powder. Didn't chrony that load out of my KT but by correlation it is probably around 725 fps. I shoot it out of several 380s for practice/plinking and that load is relatively soft and functions well. I don't use it for carry. Cost is about 13 cents a round.

12. cherokeebd

cherokeebd New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Possumgravy, a friend loads a 95 gr. cast RN and "about" your stoutest 231 load and swears by it. I noticed Venturino said he experienced vertical stringing in .380s loaded with Bullseye in an article in Handloader last summer. He more or less recommended a AA #2 load.

Kinda like Red, the first .380 load I tried was this Bullseye load, slightly reduced; it worked, I upped it a tad, and just stayed with it. I actually tried it on the say-so of an admittedly lying fisherman who swears he never stretches the truth ref. reloading.

Whether rumored good loads be b'arkillers or ducksnorts, even greenhorn 'loaders like myself who don't answer to "Lefty" or "Bad-Eye" INVARIABLY look'em up in a manual.

Cherokee

13. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    What bullet weight/type were you using? How much Bullseye did you use? I'm trying to figure out a good load for my 95gr FMJ's for my P3.

14. cherokeebd

cherokeebd New Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I rarely load FMJs, so I don't know enouigh about'em to advise.

My load is 2.9 gr. Bullseye, a 95 gr. cast RN seated to .945 OAL, and a Federal small pistol primer out of mixed headstamp brass in good condition.

Cherokee