Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI guys use to be a member her a long time ago plr16 and 22 and sub2000..now I'm back and brought a pmr new (not sure what gen it is) but it will load a round but it will not extract that round...do I have to send it back?or is it easy fix

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Want to add that I don't think it's a mag issue because I loaded a single round and its still not extracting the round from the barrel...it does sometimes but every other shot or so,it's failing to extract the case from the barrel

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm manually cycling the gun and its like the extractors are not grabbing the round thats already in the chamber so it can pull it out...i never fired the gun yet just manually cycling it when I noticed this..

Anyone have any ideals?maybe when I actually do go to the range and fire my pmr it will start extracting the rounds?..the range is far from me and I won't be able to go untill next week but it'll suck to get all the way to the range and then have to leave because the rounds are not being extracted out of the barrel ..

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Westbank...They usually work just fine when fired. Kel Tec shies away from fixing whatever that is unless it happens when firing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
To figure out gen look at the barrel. Fluted barrel = early barrel. Smooth barrel = later barrel.

Would you please pull the barrel off the gun and slide a cartridge into the chamber. Make sure it slides in really easy. Next check the notches on either side of the mouth of the chamber and make sure that the lip of the case extends over the little cut out grooves.

I guess I am asking you to make sure the ammo you are using hangs over the edge enough for the extractors to grab them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To figure out gen look at the barrel. Fluted barrel = early barrel. Smooth barrel = later barrel.

Would you please pull the barrel off the gun and slide a cartridge into the chamber. Make sure it slides in really easy. Next check the notches on either side of the mouth of the chamber and make sure that the lip of the case extends over the little cut out grooves.

I guess I am asking you to make sure the ammo you are using hangs over the edge enough for the extractors to grab them.
I will try that when I get home..i am useing recommended ammo tho..winchester superX 40grain

·
Banned
4 Posts
Ammo/Extraction

I have two PMRs and in both I have problems with Winchester Super X. They are so much hotter than other loads that they expand so tight they don't extract very well. Use them in my rifles, no problem. Federal and some of the ballistic tips work just great. These things are very ammo sensitive.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried this..it will hold the round halfway while I push the barrel out and then let go of it..i was hoping maybe when I do get a chance to fire it that it would extract the round out fully
I believe the case will *eject* but that doesn't mean it is being extracted - these are blow back guns and they can kick the cases out without an extractor. The question is, how reliably? The 2nd question is, what happens when you need to eject an unfired round by hand?

Given how many guns are showing this issue, this is an appalling mess on Kel-techs part - one (based on BS instructions on how to unload in manual) they've known about for sometime.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Back on track, any gun can be ammo sensitive...or not. It's up to the user to test the gun, clean the gun, and even do other other mechanical measures to prove it's reliability. Most function great out of the box, but some require some break in or tweaking. All brands are susceptible to this. Good luck, and shoot it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you haven't do this try first , before going to the range disassemble , clean and lube her up . Some times some filings or dirt gets into the works and mucks thing up . Whenever i buy any firearm new or used i always disassemble ,clean and lube before firing .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.