Just bought one today

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by Alwaysprepared, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Alwaysprepared

Alwaysprepared New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    I got a su22 at the gun show today for 350, new in box. is it possible to get a charlie stock with out the front end? do you save money that way?

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Congratulations on the new SU-22. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

When you say "the Charlie stock without the front end", I'm not sure what you mean by "front end". Do you mean the stock without the trigger group? If so, I think it's theoretically possible to get the polymer stock and replace the trigger group, but it's more of a gunsmith procedure than a simple stock swap. To my knowledge, Kel-Tec only sells the stocks with the trigger groups pre-assembled.

I had the Charlie stock (with trigger group) left over from my SU-16C that I converted into a pistol grip with collapsible stock, ala an AR-15, so it was a very easy matter to convert my SU-22 to an SU-22C.

Now that the 15 round Black Dog magazines have been available for a few months and the Charlie stock folds and unfolds with them in place, I would have expected Kel-Tec to be selling the SU-22C, so we don't need to buy an SU-22 and then buy the Charlie stock with trigger group.

3. Alwaysprepared

Jan 19, 2009
    Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. I meant since the 22 has the short front end, I am assuming I do not need the bipod forend from the su 16. In other words, I don't want to pay 148 for the 2 pieces when I only need the stock portion. :)

4. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Congrats on the new gun. :) They are a blast to shoot. :cool: I need to get out a put a few hundred more round through mine before winter gets here.

5. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I'm pretty sure the bi-pod forend from the SU-16 won't fit on the SU-22. The bi-pod is a clever concept, but the implementation leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion. It has its place, but I think most people consider the short railed forend to be an upgrade on the SU-16 and I think most people were glad that the short forend was offered as the stock forend on the SU-22.

If you want the Charlie butt stock, all you need is the Charlie butt stock. The forend is a completely independent issue.

6. Alwaysprepared

Jan 19, 2009
    so i guess i am not being clear enough, i realize that all i need is the buttstock but when i called kel tec today, the accessories lady didn't know if she could sell me just the buttstock and not the entire kit that is listed as the charlie conversion. anyone have any experience or maybe a part number just for the buttstock??

Anywho here is my range report, went this morning to an indoor range here, pretty only 55 feet. i tried the following ammo with the following results:

Winchester Wildcat = jam every 3rd or 2nd cartridge
    Winchester Peters = jam every 4th cartridge

Federal game shock = fairly reliable, maybe 1 out of 25 ftf

CCI multiple types = i don't need to tell you, absolutely flawless

Remington viper = flawless

and the best news, remington golden bullets bulk pack = flawless ;D

that means my shooting will be very very cheap

now how do i get a picture of the target hosted? it's pretty nifty :)

7. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    OK. I think we're finally communicating. Here's the Charlie stock kit and it does include the SU-16 bi-pod forend "with cutouts to accept the folding stock that may have to be installed."

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart2/product_info.php?products_id=177

You don't need the forend with the SU-22. I have only the Charlie stock on my SU-22C. I left the bi-pod forend on my SU-16C when I removed the Charlie stock to make it into an SU-16E (pistol grip and AR-15 collapsible butt stock) and I still have the original compact forend on my SU-22 and the Charlie stock folds nicely and stays folded. You might be able to buy just the Charlie stock all by itself cheap from someone who did the same SU-16 conversion I did. When you get 25 posts, you can try the KTOG Trading Post forum. You could place a Wanted To Buy ad and see if anyone might want to sell.

Most of the cost of the Charlie kit is going to be the trigger group. I doubt the folding bi-pod adds more than $20 to the cost.

That's a little weird. Most people have spotty luck with the CCI ammo that's often very reliable in many other .22 firearms. The Remington bulk pack Golden Bullets are usually not reliable in the SU-22 because the loose crimp allows the round to bend into the shape of a banana. I did notice that my SU-22 that would originally jam almost every time with Golden Bullets fed an entire magazine of them reliably now that it's very well broken-in. I suspect the latter SU-22 serial numbers have a different feed ramp profile and maybe surface finish to improve feed reliability. Lucky you. That does make for cheap shooting, especially since one of my local Mal*Wart stores no longer stocks the reliable Federal bulk pack .22 ammo.

Here's the picture help.
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1115586716

And here's one of my better targets from almost a year ago:

[​IMG]

8. Alwaysprepared

Jan 19, 2009
    [​IMG]

this was at 55 feet standing, scope not sighted in, 2 magazines' worth

i feel i can do much better ;)

9. U.S.Patriot

U.S.Patriot Guest