Just bought, might be having a problem!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Boaboy00, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Boaboy00

Boaboy00 New Member

Apr 11, 2010
    So I just bought the gun and noticed it was sliding back a little ruff...so I decided to disassemble the gun and add a little lube...the assembly pin was hesitant to come out...and yes I slid the rail back and followed the correct order of taking it apart...well now it appears the frame of the gun has come out a little bit in that area...the pin goes all the way thru but I dont hear/feel the click when pushing it back in...the frame is no longer flush with the slide...it racks back no problem and ive cocked it back and loaded a round which it does properly I just am a little scared to try it out and blow my hand off with this little thing lol

Any help would be great! I was so excited about this gun and not a day into owning it or even a round being fired this happens...hoping for an easy fix...

Thanks

2. W2

W2 New Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Okeechobee, FL
    The keeper spring has come out of its position I believe. I use a small screwdriver to push it back into place, and all is fine. Good luck with the gun, and welcome to KTOG.

3. Boaboy00

Boaboy00 New Member

Apr 11, 2010
    ehh i dont think the spring has come out as it apears to be in the same position it was before...ive tried moving it around a little but it seems to be in there good...im more worried about the bowing of the frame on the left side around the assembly pin...ive just read that I can heat it up with a hairdryer and squeeze it back in...just was curious if this had happend to anyone else and what method they used to fix it....

not really trying to send it to kel tec and wait 6+ weeks to get a gun back I JUST bought...and I purchesed it from a gun show that wont be back till next month or Id just swap it out...

4. The plastic part of the gun that you hold is the "grip" not the frame.

A slight bowing out of the grip where the pin is retained is not a big issue at all. If the pin is staying in place, go shooting and keep an eye on the pin. If the pin starts walking out, push it back in. And yes, judicious use of a hair dryer will soften up the plastic enough to allow you to re-shape it.

5. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Same thing happened to me.  Had a buldge and the spring seemed tight but the pin did not appear engage the far side of the frame. I positioned the spring properly and the buldge went away, pin is fully engaged. No heat needed in my case.

STeveB

6. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Be sure when you pull the pin that you place a finger on each side of the pin to hold the plastic in place. I also push the slideback about 1/8 inch at the same time. It helps to have 3 hands.

7. Emack76

Emack76 New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    :exclamation Welcome to KTOG :exclamation
    ...and congrats on your new firearm!!

+1 to this. Get some more ammo and shootaway! But don't fix it unless it breaks. Of course if you just want to tinker that's ok too... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Most importantly, ENJOY! [smiley=beer.gif]

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  9. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Use your left hand to push the slide back a bit while holding the grip with your right hand, keep two fingers from your middle left hand, placed one on each side of the pin and keep pressure on that area while clicking the pin loose with and object held in the middle right hand.   This will eliminate the problem.

Seriously, the really important thing is to keep pressure on each side of the pin while extracting it.  The original P-3AT instructions used the hold slide back, but not the pressure application and my first P-3AT finally warped enough that Kel-Tec had to replace the gun as the pin would back out during firing.

That said, when it happened to my, at that time, five year old P-3AT they MANUFACTURED ME A NEW ONE, with the same serial number as the original at no charge.  (I know it is new as the first was a series one and the new one is a series two, but same serial number).

That says a lot for Kel-Tec service to me, even if they can be a bit slow at times.