Just bought it.  Did I break it?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by foundatown, Aug 14, 2009.

1. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Hi all,

Brand new Kel-Tec P-3AT owner here already in need of advice from you wiser ones. Short summary is: I bought my P-3AT a few hours ago, took it home, read the manual, then disassembled it to take a look at everything. After wiping some excess factory oil off various parts of the pistol (including several areas on and in the magazine) I tried to put the slide back onto the frame, and of course realized the pistol should have been in a semi-cocked position before I disassembled it.

So...I went to manually pull the hammer back, but it slipped and went too far forward. I then carefully pulled it back from where it was into its semi-cocked position, put he slide back onto the frame, and inserted the pin. I racked it a few times, ran some snap caps through it, and was satisfied with its function UNTIL I pulled the trigger a few times with it in a totally non-cocked state. I'M HEARING A CLICK WHEN THE TRIGGER REACHES THE VERY REAR OF ITS AREA OF MOTION. Should it be doing this? Have I messed something up?

I don't remember hearing this click while checking it out at the gun store. Can anyone pull the trigger on their P-3AT while it's in a totally non-cocked state and tell me if they hear anything? I'm a little frightened. :)

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

2. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Re: Just bought it.  Did I break it?

Did the extractor fall out? It is loose on the P3AT.

3. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009

No, the extractor is firmly in position.  This guy seems to have been having the same problem:

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1241995739

.  His proposed solution was to wedge something behind the trigger so he stops hearing the click.  I think that's a bad idea.  That 'fix' would limit the range of trigger as well as avoid dealing with the problem.  ...If indeed it is a problem (Do P-3ATs make a click at the very end of the trigger pull when the gun is in a relaxed, non-cocked position?).

After consulting the diagrams of the gun in the manual I think this noise is being caused by a misalignment somewhere in the trigger, trigger bar, hammer system.  I think this misalignment was created when I accidentally allowed the hammer to fall forward when trying to pull it back it so I could replace my slide after a take-down.

Anyone have any experience with this problem, either having to manually place the hammer into a cocked position while the gun is stripped or having their trigger click like this?

Brand new gun.  Gotta love the way something as important as a firearm is able to be messed up so easily.

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

My P3AT does the same thing. After dry firing w/ a snap cap if I pull the trigger again it will make a click.

Also FWIW you have to let the hammer fully forward with the slide off to remove the frame from the grip.

In short, don't worry about it.

Take it to the range and try it out.

Th3 P3's usually like a bit of grease on their frame rails and hammer check out GL's lube guide for more info.
    http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

CJ

5. AlwaysCarry

AlwaysCarry New Member

May 16, 2008

You are fine; just run some ammo through it.

When I got mine, I ran 200 rounds through it in one session to break it in.

You should also consider what others here will tell you - shoot, clean, lube, repeat.

6. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009

Took my new P-3AT to the range today and put 50 rounds S&B 92gr FMJ as well as 7 rounds Hornady Critical Defense 90gr FTX through it at various speeds and techniques with no problem whatsoever. For now my anxiety has abated.

Whatever is causing the aforementioned click, it is not currently affecting performance in any way. The gun shoots like a dream within 8-10 yards with significantly less perceived recoil than my old LCP. In fact, I already find it more reliable than than my LCP, and I feel much safer carrying something of this style that actually has some sort of internal safety (i.e. a hammer block) built in. Good buy.

I'd still be interested in learning how common this clicking sound is at the end of the trigger pull on a non-cocked P-3AT, as well as if anyone has had any experience having it happen then making it go away.

Thanks for the comments those of you who chimed in.

7. prototype7

prototype7 New Member

Jun 30, 2009

don't worry man. when I oil mine I put some on and work the trigger a bit, not firing it but staging it about halfway with the slide still off. One time I accidentally pulled to far and mine did the

8. prototype7

prototype7 New Member

Jun 30, 2009

same thing... it "fired" and went all the way forward. I just pulled it back and it clicked into place. I haven't had an issue since. It should be fine.

9. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009

Just got off the phone with Bill from Kel-Tec Customer Service. I told him about the click and he nonchalantly said, "Yeah, that's just the trigger bar. It's not a problem." I asked him if they all do it, and he said, "Yeah." From what I understand they don't all make that noise, so I told him that I had jumped on these forums and come to the impression that some do it and some don't. He said, "Yeah, it varies, but it's no problem."

Well, I guess that's that. I'll try to stop thinking about it now.

10. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009

Five months later. I just noticed the click is gone. Haha, cool.

11. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010

You might as well just give it to me. The "problem" may return. ;)