Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just picked up my new (to me) 1G P3AT today. I've got a P32 with well over a thousand rounds thru it already, but was thinking about moving up to the 3AT.

I was fortunate to find this one after my local gun store put it in their display case about 10 minutes earlier. I paid $219 for a blued 1G P3AT with a spare mag and a (throw-away) Uncle Mikes pocket holster (I have one that I custom made for my P32), and a belt clip.

I'm going to be cleaning and performing the usual f&B tonight, and hopefully spend some time breaking her in on the range tomorrow.

If she works like I expect, she'll soon replace the 32 as my everyday carry.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Just became a convert...

Range Report Update:

After spending last night detailing, fluffing and buffing, I went to the range today. I bought 1 box of WWB, and one box of Blazer Brass. after 70 rounds, with many FTEs, the trigger just simply broke. It stopped moving.

Needless to say - it's going back home to Cocoa for awhile, until KT can get it working well.

And no, I'm not upset at KelTec - I'm the proud owner of a P32 that is my daily carry, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm just disappointed & PO'd that I can't carry the new P3AT. Of course - this is exactly why testing BEFORE you carry is a necessary evil :)

·
Registered
104 Posts

Look at it this way - for $219 you'll have a brand new P3AT.

I look forward to hearing the outcome and a range report. I'm a newer P32 owner and it keeps asking for a brother. :)

G

·

ams. now u know why it was probably traded in to the dealer. a shame that we have to keep sending the darn things back to mother kt though. They will take care of it, but still"not good". Firestone took care of most people who had trouble with Firestone 500 tires to, but they lost a lot of customers over it to.

jocko who definitely had his share of kt mini problems also ??? ???

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

On the upside - not only did it come with all the goodies that I listed earlier - the holster is actually a Desantis Nemisis (serviceable), it had a metal guide rod (instead of the polymer), and it had Wolf 13lb springs already installed (I hope I get those back:)).

It is a shame that it had to go back to momma, but after it comes back, it will be a (slightly better than new) P3AT for $219. ONce it's up to speed, a trip to Jack to plate it, and she be perfect :)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

AMSProcessing said:
Range Report Update:

After spending last night detailing, fluffing and buffing, I went to the range today. I bought 1 box of WWB, and one box of Blazer Brass. after 70 rounds, with many FTEs, the trigger just simply broke. It stopped moving.

Needless to say - it's going back home to Cocoa for awhile, until KT can get it working well.

And no, I'm not upset at KelTec - I'm the proud owner of a P32 that is my daily carry, and wouldn't trade it for anything. I'm just disappointed & PO'd that I can't carry the new P3AT. Of course - this is exactly why testing BEFORE you carry is a necessary evil :)
If you can give us more info, we might be able to tell you how to fix it without the weeks-long delay of sending it back. Exactly what broke? Do you mean the trigger moves but nothing happens?

Packer.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

AMSProcessing said:
it had a metal guide rod (instead of the polymer), and it had Wolf 13lb springs already installed (I hope I get those back:)).
Unlike the P-32, ALL P3ATs have a metal guide rod. It's highly likely that you will get back stock springs. You could have left them out when you shipped it.

Packer.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Too late, had the FLGS/range send it home (they don't charge me for shipping :)). The trigger came all the way to the rear, and fired the round. It then would not reset at all, and the hammer would not reset.

Had the gunsmith at the FLGS look at it (with his snotty sneer and "we've had a lot of problems with these"), and he said the trigger bar broke. I just figured that a trip home was easier for me (I still have my P32 for carry), and if a malfunction happens again, I'll probably hit this board then. But they were offering to ship the whole gun for free, so I said send it.

PS - it's amazing that the gunsmith made that crack, I know that at least half the guys who work at the store have either the P3AT or the P32 in their pocket - including both owners. Amazing how such a "troubled" gun could have such a following of guys who know guns (and the vast majority of guys who work there do know guns).

Is the follower on the magazines covered by the same warranty? The follower on one of the mags decided to shed little pieces of itself around this time (man my day at the range BLEW CHUNKS today).

Thanks for the help!

G

·

ams. the gun dealer IMO doesn't know **** about the kt minis. I would bet anything that THE TRIGGER BAR did not break. NO way that could have happened. He either doesn't know what a trigger bar looks like and something else broke and he doesn't know the name for it but believe me the trigger bar did not break..No way hose!!

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

I agree with jocko! Most likely, the trigger spring has come out of it's groove in the trigger bar. That would not take long to fix with proper (available here on this board) instructions.

The fix would have lasted you until KT sent a new trigger bar. (The groove for trigger spring may not be deep enough)

Your dealer probably won't get around to sending it until next week. Are you sure you don't want to get it back and fix it yourself?

Packer.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

Sounds like the feed ramp is beating the magazine followers to death also.

Hope they see fit to do a "Flyer Ramp Mod" on it while it is home for R&R.

rcmodel

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

AMSProcessing said:
after 70 rounds, with many FTEs,
If your FTE = failure to extract, the pistol likely needs the newer longer extractor. I have replaced the extractors on most of my FG P-3ATs and they now extract without flaw.

Wilson – who’s a FG enthusiast :)

G

·

2 pistol, quite possably the trigger spring just might have slipped off the bottom of the trigger bar, if the grip on the right side buldges out ever so slightly, that can allow the spring to pop out from under the bar. I would agree that the bar might need replaced but it would have been good had he asked this board which direction to go, before sending it back to mother kt. Course again, maybe he feels also that he should not have to mess with this problem either. kt will get it fixed but IMO most dealers have never taken a kt apart to even have a clue as to what makes them work. I kinda wish at times that hte trigger bar groove was alittle deeper. There is a groove there but oh so small of one at that. But again we have not had really to many accidental triggerbar/spring problems, unless something else triggers it. ::)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

AMSProcessing said:
Is the follower on the magazines covered by the same warranty? The follower on one of the mags decided to shed little pieces of itself around this time (man my day at the range BLEW CHUNKS today).
Thanks for the help!
Yes, the follower is warranted! I hope that is the mag that you sent with it.

If not, call KT service: 1-800-515-9983 tell them about the mag, and ask them to send you a new follower. Then after the gun has arrived there, in about a week, call and ask that a note be put with the gun, while it is waiting for service, that something is beating up the mag followers.

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

My guess is the trigger pin was backing out, an easy fix. None-the-less, with the FTEs and free shipping both ways, I'd have sent it in just to let them look it over and update it with some new parts. I would tell them that it was beating up the mag follower. If it needs a ramp job too, it's in the right place.

FWIW, WWB often is problematic in the 1st gen P3ATs. I don't know about the Blazer brass, but the 1st gen guns are generally more ammo-selective than the newer ones, IMO. It's good to have a few different target and SD rounds to try. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Thanks for all the replies - that's why I love being a member of this board. As far as fixing it myself: Yes, I probably could have fixed it myself (with the help of ktogers). But I figred that this trip to KT was a good chance to make sure this gun is ready to go when I need it. I figured, with KT's exemplary service, I'd get the gun back in as perfect condition as possible ;D

As far as the yutz-of-a-gunsmith, I've never liked him anyways. He is probably the ONLY person at that FLGS that I don't even like talking to. He's a true gun snob (unless the gun is a 1911, costs $1k+ and is customized - it's gonna be a problem gun).

It's funny, I've heard him tear down KT's (mine), Taurus firearms, and other, lower cost firearms. I almost laughed in his face one time. I was in there when a customer brought in their Taurus PT-92 (the Beretta look-alike). The customer was having an issue with his PT-92, and brought it in. The gunsmith tried to convince him to drop $50 just to tear it down and get a quote for repair. All the while, he made snide little comments about Taurus quality. I later talked to the customer and let him know about the lifetime warranty with Taurus, and how to send it in.

And the gun went out this afternoon via their regular carrier (UPS?). There IS a reason I like this FLGS (and it doesn't hurt that they are one of my clients ;D )

YMMV

·
Banned
1,556 Posts

jocko said:
Firestone took care of most people who had trouble with Firestone 500 tires to, but they lost a lot of customers over it to.
Firestone had competition where you could buy other tires the same size as the 500's.

If you want a 7.2 ounce (weight of 1st generation) .380 Semi Auto you'll either buy a Kel-Tec P-3AT or do without.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

Good point, Rook.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, got my 3AT back from the mothership, ran a rag over it (and through the barrel), and took it to the range.

Now it's working flawlessly. It still has the higher power springs with it (who'dve thunk it). It ate 35 rounds of BLazer Brass as fast as I could feed it. I was there with my P32 and my Taurus 9mm, so it didn't get much more time than that, but the problems seem cured.

I'm going to detail strip and clean it tonight, then take it back to the range. If all goes well, she'll soon be my main carry piece while my P32 slide goes to Jack F. for a plating job.

I'm now happy with my little BUG.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.