Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I just recently acquired this pf9 on a trade where I swapped my Taurus TCP for it. I love this gun so far. I just ordered a new kydex holster for it as well as a new hogue beavertail grip. The beaver tail grip ISS made for the lc9. So this is where my question comes in at. In my experience, I think the pf9 grips and the lc9 grips are very similar in dimensions. So I'm I'm wondering if my hogue grip will fit my pf9 or if I'll end up having to order another one. Does anyone know? Also, is there any upgrades you would recommend I get? This will be my primary carry gun as I'm a small guy.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
It looks to have the old plastic mag catch which was known for having issues. I would replace that asap, it's pretty easy if you have a few picks and needle nose pliers. You may as well replace the spring too. Just make sure to wear safety glasses, I had the spring pop out and hit me in the eye when I was changing one of mine.

Having that mag catch means it a pretty early PF9 so it likely has the old style hammer block too. If so it could lead to a issue with short stroking the trigger causing the hammer to fall but not fire the gun. It may not be as important as the mag catch to change but it is more difficult for sure. The frame has to be removed and the small pin right above the grip is the one the hammer block is on. I changed both of mine so it's not terrible if you are patient and a little handy. There should be instructions on here and probably a video or two somewhere.

As for the slip on grips, I don't like them myself so I can't offer any help there.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I just thought about a possible easier but more expensive solution to the hammer block and mag catch IIRC, they would be included with a new grip if you purchase one from the factory. That way you would just have to replace the grip. It would still need the frame to be swapped but not the other parts. It might be worth calling KT to find out.

Also if you don't want to DIY I'm sure they would be pretty reasonable if you sent it in to be updated.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
North woods trigger upgrade would be my recommendation...

Shoot the gun with and with out that beaver-tail grip. It looks cool, I'm interested if it keeps the joint of the thumb from getting it's lovely ache after a box of shells Mine develops.

I also upgraded to the steel guide rod, because its more durable and a tiny bit more weight to help with the recoil...IDK

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The steel guild rod isn't a good idea, I don't know why they even sell them. It can cause damage to the slide and doesn't offer any benefit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
CJP32, so if I was to order the grip and just swap out the frame from my current model to the new grip I would be good to go? I watched a video on doing a swap like that and it seems simple enough. If that would give me all the modern updates, I would much rather go that route than to have to bother sending in the whole gun. Plus I would prefer a black grip

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I'm pretty sure but I would call just to check before you order. If you want a different grip anyway that would be the way to go for sure.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Looks great, color notwithstanding. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Currently no range time with it yet. Hoping to shoot it sometime soon. But I'm confident it won't be slipping off as hard as it was to get on lol. As for the color, I was a cheapskate and saved $2 just cause it was purple lol.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
I'm quite sure it is a good improvement on the very thin-gripped PF9. I shot mine recently for the first time in a long while. I didn't pay close enough attention an suffered a little slide bite. That beaver tail should help with that.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Fits nice, looks like it's made for the pistol...but...but...but...burple? :eek:

Just kidding, to each their own. :rayof:

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
As for the color, I was a cheapskate and saved $2 just cause it was purple lol.
Next time just ask. We're all friends here. We'll take up a collection. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm hoping it will help with the slide bite. I assumed it would fit as perfectly as it did cause I compared it to the lc9 side by side and it was so close in every dimension. And if I had known about the collection I could have done even better and got that fancy pink one they have lol. But in all seriousness I do intend to buy a black one to match it as I'll soon have my new black grip I ordered to give me the modern updates.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Desmondlt123, I merged your two threads together into one...no sense in having two separate threads discussing the same basic topic...accessories for your PF-9.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, Desmondlt123, I tried it and it fits great! I ordered the black grip straight from Hogue and got it in four days! It looked too small to fit but after heating it with my wife's blow dryer I was able to work it on. I'd be willing to bet it sure isn't going to slip around any!

It's actually comfortable and fun to shoot my PF-9 now, at least on my hand. Darn trigger somehow keeps pinching my trigger finger when I shoot, though, but that's not new.

I really am glad you posted!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.