Featured Joined the Darkside; Extar 556 mkII

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by Panzercat, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Panzercat

Panzercat Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    [​IMG]

So you really only have a handful of choices if you want a 556 pistol without a buffer tube-- The PLR16, An Extar556 or a PAP92/85. I disqualified the Pap for weight and sheer cost of mods to get it to where I wanted. If it were just a contest between the PLR and Extar Mk1, it'd be a tossup, but I found a local dealer with Mk2 in stock. At that point I get a full length top rail standard, stock picatinny mount, a (mostly) standard AR lower and hand guard standard.

Got the reddot sighted in, but I'm still within the 200 round break-in cycle. It does not like IMI 55gr, but everything else seems to run without issues. Trinkets for the pistol are still trickling in, including a single point sling (I didn't buy it just to put a stock on it, frankly). Theoretically I could purchase their Extar tri-rail picatinny kit for the hand guard, but I just can't bring $50 for what are effectively rails with notches. It has enough top rail space for a couple of 45 degree offsets, and those only cost $7 for two. The Rhino magwell funnel grip is already installed. Could have gone with a Mako product there, but uhg, it makes your setup look like airsoft. The Rhino is a nice product, btw.

Fire is very controllable due to the aggressive muzzle break. It gives firing the pistol a rolling motion as opposed to a snap. It also causes the pistol to boom like a cannon, but I'm fine with that. About the only drawback I can point to so far is that the break isn't supposed to be user serviceable. I can live with this tradeoff. Going to the range is somewhat annoying in that everybody assumes it has no other use than to make noise and fireballs, but it is what it is.

Seems like a fine product so far. I have almost all the parts so I'll update this thread later if there's interest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    850sub likes this.
  2. 850sub

850sub Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Pensacola
    Nice.
    Did you say it has a standard AR lower?

3. Panzercat

Panzercat Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Actually, I should have said mostly standard. no buffer tube and the like. But it will accept any standard drop in AR trigger, which was another bonus over the PLR16. Since we're on the topic, it's a gift and a curse because the standard weight is 5ish lbs. It's crisp, but hurts accuracy. I believe the safety and mag button are swappable as well.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  4. Panzercat

Panzercat Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    All the trinkets are in, but the build probably isn't final. Still trying to determine if I want a pair of BUIS on the 45 degree offsets or leave the light.

[​IMG]

So we've got the Rhino Magwell grip/funnel installed, a Vortex SPARC II on the rail and a Mission First Tactical red/white backup light on a 45 degree offset. The rear picatinny has a sling point attached to a single point sling, see below. The entire setup, with mag, is only 4lbs.

[​IMG]

Ironically, it's about the size of a SUB2k folded and has less kick than the nine I fired. The Extar is a slight roll up and a gentle nudge back. Amazingly controllable. And yes, those are tactical flip-flops. ;)

MightyHunter likes this.
  5. Darvell

Darvell Active Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Awesome. I got the Extar shortly after it came out. What's this MK II stuff, though? Do they have a newer model now? What are the differences?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  6. Panzercat

Panzercat Active Member

Dec 17, 2010
    The main difference appears to be the full length top rail (doesn't end at the tube) and a rear picatinny rail for a sling/stock mount. Beyond that, I don't see many differences aside from what the rail does for the gun cosmetically, which I have to admit is a draw for me since I hate the exposed tube on both the PLR and Extar mk1.

Supposedly a .300blk (rumor) is in the works and a 9mm prototype has already appeared at SHOT, but I'm not even sure why you'd bother with the later. Just buy a Sub9 if you're going that route. It's not like they're unobtanium anymore.

7. Darvell

Darvell Active Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Ah, cool. I found some pics online that would seem to confirm what you say. I'm left wondering if there are any internal changes. Perhaps not.

8. circlehawk

circlehawk Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Illinois
    I'm originally from Missouri myself, so I'm more into the barefoot thing. However, I'm definitely interested in the advantages of the "tactical flip-flops" :quote:.