Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

JHP Reduced Loads

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Dr_Don 
#1 ·
For the handloaders here...

I've found a great deal of success loading 115 grain JHP bullets down to 1070 fps or so out of the PF-9. Using Titegroup, I find the recoil noticeably less than equivalent factory JHP ammo. Currently, I'm using the Hornady 115 XTP bullet, and careful groups at 25 yards under 3.5" or under, and to POA. Standing two-hand groups at 15 yards are 2.0-2.5". Reliabilty is 100%. The bullet expands at that velocity in gel tests available online, and penetrates 15-17".

I'm thinking about trying some 90 grain JHP loads @ 1170 fps. That would reduce recoil further, and still have decent terminal ballistics.

Anyone try 90 grain JHP loads in the PF-9?

#6 ·
I also had reasonably good results with Hornady 115 gr XTP handloads. I used PowerPistol, and loaded them to 1167 fps (roughly what I saw with the Hornady Custom factory loads). Here is what the resulting expansion looked like:

The penetration was pretty close to the factory rounds as well.

The best handloads I found were with Speer Gold Dot 115 gr bullets, again over PowerPistol. They chronographed at 1117 fps out of the PF-9 (right at the factory Gold Dot loads), and expansion was consistently superb.

#9 · (Edited)
Today I purchased some Ruger ARX ammo in 40 S&W to try out in my Walther PPS I ordered, I think its an 88 grain bullet, that would make it lighter than carrying my PPS 9mm version, I guess in perceived feel in carry weight.

If I like the way it shoots in the 40, I may try some in my PF9 and 9mm PPS.
Not sure the grain weight bullet, but its rated +P in 9mm.

Found this out:
a 74-gr. 9 mm Luger ARX bullet is traveling 1450 fps

#10 ·
Dr Don, is it me or do those look like they might going TOO fast? Almost looks like the petals pealed back too far. What was the measured expansion? What did you shoot them into?
They were a little hotter than the Hornady Custom XTP factory load (1167 fps vs 1093 fps, measured with the same gun). All were fired through two layers of denim into water-filled milk jugs. Not a bad medium to test the expansion, but you gotta be careful drawing conclusion about penetration.

That being said, even the Hornady factory load seems to peel the petals back pretty far. Here is a photo of the factory load, shot under the same test conditions as my handloads.

The fired/expanded slug looks very similar to the handload results.

#11 ·
Today I purchased some Ruger ARX ammo in 40 S&W to try out in my Walther PPS I ordered, I think its an 88 grain bullet, that would make it lighter than carrying my PPS 9mm version, I guess in perceived feel in carry weight.

If I like the way it shoots in the 40, I may try some in my PF9 and 9mm PPS.
Not sure the grain weight bullet, but its rated +P in 9mm.

Found this out:
a 74-gr. 9 mm Luger ARX bullet is traveling 1450 fps
Be careful about using +P in the PF-9. KelTec recommends against its use on a regular basis. I must admit I've test-fired some in mine (to test functionality, penetration, and expansion), but I've also run into occasional issues (like some primer blow-back that jammed the firing pin hole, causing me to have to disassemble the firing pin/extractor assembly to clear it).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.