Jammed Hammer (slide off)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by barrettsc, Apr 26, 2008.

1. barrettsc

barrettsc New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    I got my P3AT last night. Of course, I had to field strip it and look inside. Then I pulled the trigger. Oops! The hammer slammed forward and jammed on top of the hammer block. I tried to pull it back with light pressure, then heavier pressure - won't budge. Now I am worried about forcing/breakage or sending the gun to KT or going boldly where no man (in my house has gone) - teardown!

I searched the boards for "jammed hammer", etc. No dice. Then I found the frame removal video from Beach. EXACTLY what I needed to do, removing the frame. It gave me the confidence to tackle the problem. The job was easy. A moderate hammering on a wooden dowel and the gun's hammer was free. This gun is very simple and easy to work on.

Thanks to Beach and all you contributers who helped me decide on a KT, and are helping me maintain and enjoy it. You really are a GREAT community. I value your insights.

2. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    welcome.....an other happy camper..... :).....gpr

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Welcome aboard!

1st range report soon to follow?

take care...

4. barrettsc

barrettsc New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    You asked for it...First Range Report
    I did a partial fluff and buff with 600 grit paper. Feed ramp polish, chamber smooth, broke some sharp edges. The hard chrome slide was much smoother than pix of blued guns seen on this sight. I put my daughter's Red nail polish on front sight. Greatly improved the sight picture.

50 rounds of American Eagle FMJ. 3 shooters; 5 shots per mag; 7 yards; 5-bull rifle target.
    My first 2 shots missed the paper (I am a single action shooter), next 3 were wild (low and high). Steadily improved. Son-in law (non-shooter) shot a 3" group with one bullseye. My next group was 3", touched two bulls (preloading the trigger). The gun is easy to handle; mild kick. Long trigger travel takes time to learn...

We had 5-6 FTFs. Always on the next to last round. The rim of the round was jammed tight in the back of the magazine; cocked up at 45 degrees. They all had smileys. Had to drop the mag to clear. Either the round came out with the mag, or it then fed into the chamber.

I am open to suggestions on FTF fixes, or will browse the site recommendations. I am still breaking it in and will next try some different ammo.