Jack Flash!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TucsonMTB, Jun 3, 2010.

1. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Jack Fuselier offers a special price for plating a P-3AT if you are a member of KTOG.  You can read the details at this link on his web site.  After careful polishing, I sent mine off to him last month.  The slide arrived home today along with the bills.  Guess which I was happier to see.  ;D

[​IMG]
    Notice that Mr. Fuselier plated the extractor spring and screw, but not the extractor itself.  Sheryl's hard chrome as it came from Kel-Tec is in the background for comparison.  In this picture you can see the slightly warmer color of the nickel compared to hard chrome.

[​IMG]
    Here is the slide assembled with a new hard chrome extractor, spring, and retaining screw and ready for a couple of hundred rounds to ensure function that will be shot tomorrow morning when it is cooler here in Arizona.

[​IMG]
    Although it does not show in this picture, the same area that has what appears to be plating defect on the factory hard chrome slide shows a similar oddity in the plating of that same area of the slide that Jack plated.  Knowing how much I polished, this must be the result of a difference in hardness of this area of the slide.

[​IMG]
    If you had seen the shiny appearance after I polished it (think polished S&W revolver) and before it was sent to Jack, you might be a little surprised at its current appearance.  I'm guessing Jack is not set up to bead blast and sand blasted instead.  The surface is slightly more rough than the factory hard chrome.

But, in most ways it now looks a lot like the hard chrome model that I would have purchased, had it been available when this pistol was purchased, soon after the second generation model was introduced.  Life is good.   :D

2. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    It looks beautiful. That nickle does look warm. I like the slightly flat look as well versus all shiny.

3. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks! Clearly, you are a cultivated gentleman with impeccable taste. :cool:

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, around the ejection post.

That pistol looks very nice. I bet it is appreciative of the TLC. :cool:

5. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Hey, I did some color corrections in a program of mine of your gun to improve some of the details.  What grip sleeve is that?  It matches the pattern of the original grip very nicely.  What a great looking gun with your slide improvements, metal mag release and grip.

[​IMG]

6. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    That gentleman does extremely fine work...

John

7. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    The grip sleeve has "UNCLE MIKE'S" molded into the surface but was marketed by Midway as "Butler Creek Slip-On Grip Sleeve Small Semi-Automatic Rubber Black".  Unfortunately, that Midway link is for a size large, not the small size that I bought a couple of years ago, so they may be hard to find.

Thanks for the kind words and the image adjustments!   :D

8. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Yep!  He certainly gets my vote, especially when others charge more than $100. In fact, one outfit wants more to simply take one apart for plating than Jack charges for the entire process.   :eek:

There is one small black line on the rear, left-side, slide serration where his sand blasting did not completely remove the original bluing.  It's hardly noticeable, but happens occasionally.  Perfectionists, beware!   ::)

It's worth noting that Jack sounds like a warm, gracious gentleman in his communications and really likes Kel-Tec's to the point that he made some critical remarks about the few design changes that Ruger made for their Little Copy Pistol when I asked about plating mine.   :cool:

9. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Visited the Pima Pistol Club this morning and shot up some .380 ACP.  No malfunctions in 100+ rounds of range ammo and no malfunctions with a very dirty P-3AT and a couple mags of Golden Saber.  Back in the pocket.   :D

10. cameroonee

cameroonee New Member

Jun 4, 2010
    Very nice he will be geting all three of my guns shortly. Seems to be well worth the cost espacially if you have been battling rust during the warmer months like i have.

11. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    So, I'm assuming that a person would want their firearm fully broken in prior to getting it nickel plated. I mean, you wouldn't want to do a fluff and buff after getting it plated, or you would be sanding off the plating making it prone to rust again. Right?

12. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, it would be good to start with a reliable P-3AT.  Otherwise, if you have an issue that requires a return trip to Kel-Tec and they replace your slide . . . well, you might get lucky and receive a hard chrome as a replacement, but don't count on it.   ::)

Fluff and buffs after plating shouldn't a problem.  Remember, all you send is the slide, without the barrel and recoil assembly as described in this link on Jack's web site, nothing that you are likely to polish as part of the fluff and buff process that gets plated.

The plating must be fairly thin, especially on inside surfaces of the slide.  While cleaning after the re-qualifying range session it was noticeable that the plating on breach face is either wearing away or picked up a dark appearance from transferred cartridge brass.  A few places inside the rails where residual grease prevented plating and parts of the rails are still black show no noticeable step between the shiny and the black areas.  This is a good thing.   :)

I wish now that I had gotten all the Shooter's Choice grease off the inner rail surfaces before sending it to Jack.  I did not consider plating on the inside of the slide important, but except where the grease prevented it, most of the interior surfaces have a smooth silver appearance that makes cleaning a joy.   :cool:

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    As Tuscon said, you do want to establish reliability before having a slide plated. If you do happen to need that slide replaced under the warranty, KT is only liable to return the working gun to original condition. However, plating really has no effect on your ability to fluff and buff a gun.

Any plating applied is almost surely going to be worn smooth anyway in the places where you would polish the slide - namely the grooves of the rails, hammer interface and other spots on the underside of the slide.  Also, those are areas where grease should be applied so corrosion is not going to be an issue.  Nor is this an aesthetics concern since these areas are very much hidden from view when the gun is assembled.  Therefore the given plating chosen does not really matter and any gun can be fluffed and buffed with no ill effect, including one that has been "Jacked".  :)