IWB with Belt Clip Question

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DanHfmn, Oct 14, 2008.

1. DanHfmn

DanHfmn New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    How many of you guys carry SOB vs at your side with the belt clip?  I find SOB with the left clip is very easy to do, only downside is you can release the mag if you lean back on a wall/ect. But it's great when I know I'll be mostly standing around and it's almost impossible to see.

I'd like to get the right clip and try to carry on my side, where do you guys usually do that?  Right on the seam of your pants?  Towards the front?  Back?

PS: I'm right handed...and this is with a P3AT.

2. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    I find SOB to be uncomfortable. It doesn't work for me when sitting, walking, etc. If you bend over, the pistol doesn't, very obvious.
    Norton

3. ElBoricua

ElBoricua New Member

Sep 25, 2008
    I carry it on my side at 9 (i am left handed) i have to wear my shirt tucked in i cover the clip with my cell phone holster and cover the little part with the screw that is still showing with my shirt and i walk around all they doesnt bother me and nobody knows that i have it, very comfortable i am sited most of the day and it doesnt bother me at all.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Dan, one way to help with the mag release issue is to sand it down a bit.  Another is to do exactly what you are doing (at least if you were doing this IWB but your description sounds like you might be going OWB?)  but add a pocket holster around your weapon while you do it.  There are several models for well less than $20.  One of the favorites is the www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com Pocket Pal for $10.00.  Not only will that protect your mag release but also your trigger

Many here, but not all, feel that carrying in any manner where the trigger is not protected from having something, even if that is your shirt or hand or ???, get into the trigger guard (another way of saying without a holster protecting the trigger guard) is unsafe.  Do some searching and you will find lots of heated discussion about this.  

It is a [​IMG] issue for me so I usually produce that smiley somewhere in them; searching for "soapbox.gif" might be a good search to get you into some of those threads!

I have used the clip to go onto a boot top or more often onto the visor in the car but found pocket or smartcarry to be preferred ways for me.  When going with running shorts or something that doesn't have a strable enough pocket I found the smartcarry to be WAY more secure and actually easier to draw from then trying to get the clip off of an elastic or drawstring waistband.

-Scott

5. DanHfmn

DanHfmn New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    I carry IWB with the belt clip, SOB. The grip extends towards my right arm.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Are you left handed then?  If you draw with your right hand the natural draw motion has the muzzle pointed at something you don't want to shoot during the draw...like YOURSELF....  In general this is not considered advisable.

-Scott

7. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    While I HAVE carried both of my KTs with the clip only I NOW use a holster to protect the trigger. Scott had to hold me down and beat me about the head and ears before I saw the light ;D The main thing is to keep the trigger protected so as to lessen the chances of a ND. One can still happen under the right circumstances but it has a very slim chance of doing so *knock on wood*. This is coming from a guy who once broke an anvil with a tooth pick so if it can be done I'll figure out some way of making it happen. That's why the holster is so important. Clipping the gun to a holster sounds like a funny concept but once you try it you will see how well it actually works.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    There HAS to be a more complete, and interesting story behind this!

-Scott

9. DanHfmn

DanHfmn New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    I've often thought about that, but when I draw, I pull it straight up and then swing around my body, I don't know how you'd point it at yourself?

If I had the grip the other way, it seems like it'd be more difficult to wedge your fingers between the grip/pants versus your body/grip.

I've never tried having it in a holster, would it work with my nemesis?

Hmmm....

PS: I'm waiting for my Smartcarry whenever they return from vacation!

10. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    There HAS to be a more complete, and interesting story behind this!

-Scott

[/quote]

Nope. This must just be a southern saying then. Also heard as, "I broke an anvil with a rubber mallet." IOW, you have seriously underestimated my ability to break anything I get my hands on. If my truck weren't a Chevy there's no way it would've lasted this long with me in it. Heck, even my HC slide had to be replaced. Remember that one?

11. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Still trying to wrap my hands around this (sort of pun intended.) Not trying to be disagreeable - yet - just not understanding.

If you pull it straight up your right arm is now behind your back with the bottom of your grip pointed to your right and your pistol pointed straight down. Your knuckles are up against your back and parallel to the ground. The next natural draw action (at least for me) is to start to pull towards the right side of my body and turn to where my pinky starts to rotate down towards the vertical. In doing so the open end of the barrel of pistol in my hand points right across my torso until it comes out the right hand side in firing position. Are you doing it different?

You will like the smartcarry! It might not be the only holster you use but it sure works well when nothing else well and/or you have to totally conceal!

-Scott

12. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Another thing to keep in mind, when carrying IWB behind the back, with the clip or holster, if you have the butt of the gun pointing towards your side...when you draw you are sliding all 4 fingers into your waistband. Your thumb goes to the outside. As you grip the pistol preparing to pull it out you risk putting a finger INTO the trigger guard. THAT can be a fatal move.

IMO the proper way to carry behind the back is with the butt towards your spine, when you draw only your thumb slides into your waistband...greatly minimizing the chances of a ND. That's the way I was taught to carry.

Rick

13. mydixiwrecked00

mydixiwrecked00 New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    i wear mine around the 4:30-5:00 position tilted forward with the grip towards my spine. again, the thumb is the only part in your waist band when u draw AWAY from yourself and others and secondly i wear wide belts so this covers the trigger from the outside... still not fool proof thou.  never get complacent or too comfortable with this kind of carry, i draw with my thumb and 4 fingers rigid and clamp the grip so nothing gets in the trigger guard, once my fingertips clear the waistband only my 2 smaller fingers come around the grip while the 2 larger rest one against and one under the slide. when the grip is fully under control then i drop the middle finger down to the grip. not saying this is proper procedure but it works FOR ME. not saying this will be how it happens if shtf but its how i do it daily to where its becoming natural. you don't wanna be the guy that posts on here" so i shot myself in the a-- today" or worse. it seems to fit ME well sitting, standing, driving and  bending over, even with an armalaser and pinky extension. my belts have become so used to it they don't hold my pants up without a kel tec tucked in them. . anytime i have to be presentable.. tuck in my shirt or something of the matter then i pocket carry in an uncle mikes size3. i did try IWB for a while with my p11 but the pinky extensions tend to print themselves in my shirts so ill save that for winter or make that my excuse for buying a pf9. ;D

14. Mamba

Mamba New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Looks like a great deal...Small or Medium?...I presume Small.

15. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Looks like a great deal...Small or Medium?...I presume Small.
    [/quote]

Small (last I saw there was a BIG BOLD title up at the top that said so for the P32/P3AT) and he also makes one for armalaser carry too! Good guy and I owe him a holster review on a new leather conformable pocket holster that they have too.

-Scott

16. Mamba

Mamba New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Oh, you mean THIS title?

Small is a perfect fit for your Kel-Tec 32 & 380  

Doh!.. :-[  :-[...so much info on those pages I overlooked it. At least that's my excuse and I'm standing by it.