IWB holsters that don't double the thickness?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by r080, Mar 20, 2011.

1. r080

r080 New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    When I bought my P3AT at a gun show, I also found a small IWB holster made by a local family-owned company.

Yesterday, I took a good look at it with the P3AT in it, and realized the holster effectively doubles the thickness of the gun. Essentially, the layers of the holster plus the belt clip put together are just as thick as the gun.

Are there any good IWB holsters for the P3AT that don't have this problem?

I have Kholster for my PF9, but that seems like it would be too big overall for such a small weapon.

2. Toforo

Toforo New Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Columbia, MO
    Uncle Mikes size10 for mine.... Inexpensive, comfortable, easy-to-wear
    (BlackHawk too, but I don't know the size)

I've been using it daily for over a year and there's "hardly" any wear on it

soft cloth/fabric/material WITH a "sweat liner" that is SOMEWHAT effective at reducing the sweat/moisture from your skin penetrating through to the P3AT
    (depending on how long you wear it and how much you perspire)

Also fits in the pocket nicely for pocket carry but it is NOT a "retention" holster - you pull it out of your shirt, jacket, pants pocket, the holster comes with it (in this case, I consider it more of a "dust cover/protector" rather than a true pocket retention holster like DeSantis and a few others)

note - when I get home and remove the holster, I REMOVE THE GUN FROM THE HOLSTER to allow BOTH THE GUN AND THE HOLSTER to "dry out" before the next carry.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  4. TK421

TK421 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Mr_Softy/_mr_softy.html

I have the Mr. Softy IWB and really like it.  It feels pretty thin to me (disappears when wearing it), and provides enough retention to give me confidence.  It's also really inexpensive, esp compared to some of their top-end holsters.  They let you try it for 30 days and return it if you don't like it, and all their products have a lifetime warranty.  They make really high quality stuff.

Is it obvious I am a big fan of High Noon Holsters?  :D

5. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Kholster does have the Little Moon model that should be a better fit for a P3at. If your happy with the one you have for your PF9 why not get another for the P3.

Just curious but why IWB carry for the P3? Most of us pocket carry the P3 because it's so small and light. I'm a big fan of back pocket carry in a "wallet" style holster. JMO of course but if I'm going to IWB carry it will be my PF9 or G27.

CJ

6. martywj

martywj New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    I carry my P3AT in my back pocket using a Uncle George Wallet Holster http://unclegeorgeswalletholster.com/default.aspx My wife has a LCP and I got here a Kholster little moon for it and the Kel Tec fits in it as well. We may do a combat cut on the thing to get of some of the excess leather. We have used Kholsters before for other guns and they work well. They very comfortable to wear for long periods also, and are value priced.

7. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Galco ,  Stow N Go
    Wife has had hers over 4 years. About 24 $ at Cabela's an on a bunch of web stores too

stock pic ;
    [​IMG]

8. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Not to put words in the OP's mouth - and I don't IWB anything as even my NAA mini is uncomfortable IWB for me - but I often OWB my P3AT (and, lately, my S&W 642.)  I consider pocket carrying my primary a 'no other choice' option and do not prefer it.  That is because it is fairly slow and not very smooth for me to present from the pockets of most of my pants (yes, I use a pocket holster.)  Presenting from a FOBUS is much faster and I find that a P3AT in a FOBUS completely disappears under nothing more than a longish T-shirt but is much quicker/easier/smoother to get the proper hold on the grips and present the gun than when it is in my pocket.

Another factor is that I like to carry my NAA mini as a weak-hand BUG and the best way to do so is to carry it in my weak side front pocket.  I have to have somewhere to put my cell phone, pocket knife, etc. and if I carry the P3AT OWB, I can easily and completely hide it with little effort, leaving my strong side pocket to carry my other 'stuff'.

In cooler weather, I carry something bigger OWB but when I want to wear just shorts and a t-shirt, still carry my BUG, leave one pocket for carrying other 'stuff' and still have great concealment, the P3AT carried OWB is a great option.  If I could stand IWB, that would be even better.

9. r080

r080 New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I usually have my pockets pretty full, and many times I am wearing pants with pockets tight enough to make a pocket holster a poor choice.

Stellar and Grandfather Oak look like they may have some good choices.

I have the little moon kholster for the pf9. I will take close look at it and see how it would best work for the AT

10. r080

r080 New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    I ordered an Uncle George's back pocket holster.

I also found a company called Old Faithful holsters, and I am going to try to make a Kholster style holster from one of their kits.

11. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
  12. brobert225

brobert225 New Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Kholster, kholster, kholster! It is the most comfortable IWB out there IMO. You can use the smallest model for a 3AT and the middle one for a PF9. The spread of the clips may seem wide but it is thin and very comfortable to wear all day.