I've come back to the little guy

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tomwalshco, Feb 13, 2010.

1. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Currently ****ed at my PF9. Its last chance will be stronger S&W mag springs. I've tried everything else.

Anyway, rather than drop $850 on a Kahr, I'm going to fall back in love with my 3AT. 3 big reasons - it's as comfortable as a slim wallet, it has never, and I mean never, jammed in any way on anything and lastly, it's dead on at 20-30'.

It is hard to imagine that warm weather will be here sometime soon and the "slimline" Glock .45 I carry will feel like a wadded up wool sock with a bar of Lava Soap inside when it gets humid.

My only real semi concern I have is the .380 round. It's continuing blather on all gun forums and arguments range from the macho dudes that wouldn't be caught dead without their .44 magnums to the cats that chime in with how many millions the .22 has knocked down in history.

What's the consensus on .380 SD ammo? I've got HydraShoks and Gold Dots and can get more. But some claim HPs don't expand very well from a short barrel. I've searched, but something freezes up when doing common searches on KTOG. There's +P around for .380, but that gets poo-poo'd as well by many. I don't care about SAAMI. I'm not carrying the little guy around in case an IPSC match breaks out in a 7-11 parking lot.... :)

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    here are past posts discussing ammo.  

3. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    The .380 will do it's job if you do yours. And it sounds like you can if you are dead on at 20'.

As with any handgun round, a single shot will probably not do the job unless you sever a spinal cord or something like that. Multiple, well-placed shots are key with any handgun as they are all unsuited for the job we call on them to do. OK, maybe not the 44mag. :eek:

A .45 is a compromise. We all need to be carrying a 12ga with 00 buckshot, but that is not practical and not legal for many. So, we need a gun we can conceal and carry EVERYWHERE we go. Enter the P3AT (as well as many other smaller handguns).

The Gold Dots should server you well. I carry these and Golden Sabers. Both HPs. If they expand...great. If not, then I'm no worse off than using a FMJ.

4. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Droped in to the P3AT part of KTOG to do a little research. I am thinking about the pruchase of a P3 for a few reasons. One for CC when the P11 is too large, two a small pistol for the wife around the house, three it looks good, and four my P11 needs a sibling, five who needs a reason to buy another Ket Tec.
    Concerning the .380 round, the folks at box o truth tested several "small guns". Their results are at the URL listed below

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot26_4.htm

5. JR37

JR37 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    oops! The URL thing didn't work. I guess I need a lesson in using that TAG. Any help appreciated. It won't hurt my feelings.

Life is too short to be sad, Be Happy.

6. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    the url goes in the middle of the two bracketed sections [url ]www.yourlinkhere.com[/url]. For the most part all HTML code works that way. the first one tells it what to do, the second one says ok, thats the end of the part you're working with basically.

7. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Interesting results on the .380. It seemed to pass the test better than all the rest.

8. Klutch

Klutch New Member

Feb 13, 2010
    I think the .380 is a good round for SD there are tons of tests to prove that. I think that all the internet jazz on what's the biggest, baddest thing I can carry is ridiculous. It's all personal preference; if someone  chooses to carry a 12" 5lb 500S&W "snubbie" power to them, most would not even consider something of that size simply cause of size.  The opposite end of the spectrum is the small pocket guns and why wouldn't someone carry a pistol that is non-intrusive to their dress weight is never an issue even with several extra mags. The next time someone who says the .380 is not a good SD round ask them if why and when they say it's too small or a .380 will only **** off an attacker ask them if they would be willing to test out their theory and stand in front of a .380.
    Now I'm done with my antidote again it's preference and most of us on KTOG would rather carry smaller guns for the obvious reasons.

9. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Yea, been doing some research on the 38 special because someone wants to trade me one.

It's getting practically impossible to wade through the mumbo-jumbo on some of these forums to get facts.... any facts. To read some of this BS, you're led to believe you might as well be carrying a Daisy BB gun rather than a .380.

When something gets repeated enough, people tend to embrace it as fact. Probably why we're in such a political mess in this country. Hope and change, baby......

10. billfromtx

billfromtx New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    There are times I do not want to strap on 2 pounds of handgun and run around all day in the Texas Heat!...My li'l P3AT ride beautifully in the front pocket of my Cargo shorts!!!! It not a 45 XD....granted. But thats why I carry it in times like this, because its not a heavy 45 XD!

11. finnfur

finnfur New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    First you got to carry it . Then its PLACEMENT,PLACEMENT ,PLACEMENT , PLACEMENT , PLACEMENT , PLACEMENT. Thats only six but on the last one I might miss because I'm ready to run. At that point I should be able to outrun the PERP and bleed him out.
    If you can control rapid fire the mag in a 9" pie plate at 21' you got it covered.

Woops ! - Modify that 21" to 21' LOL

12. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I just came from another board where all the members can do is basically give people no hope because if you don't carry a large, heavy gun, you're not protecting yourself. I carried a G27 for 6 months and just got plain old tired of it.

Sure, I loved carrying a .40S&W. It's a nice proven round that does not stir up controversy among the internet elite gunners.

But in reality, you have to carry around a 20+ oz (24oz in the case of my G27 fully loaded) gun daily. Period.

I really enjoy being on this forum to hear people say that the .380 is a very adequate round. Like finnfur said, PLACEMENT,PLACEMENT ,PLACEMENT , PLACEMENT , PLACEMENT , PLACEMENT. Fire and keep firing until you stop the attack.

As I have said on many of these threads, even when carrying a .45, you are under gunned and carrying a compromise. I'd love to carry my Rem 870 with 00 buckshot, but it's illegal...and would be very impractical.

Carry what you carry, but just carry it.

13. Emack76

Emack76 New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    I can't say it better, so I'll quote someone I know: "Placement is King, Penetration is Queen, and all the rest is just fairies dancing on the heads of pins."

If you can hit it, and it is penetrated well enough, who cares about the details of caliber, specific weapon, etc...?

14. Klutch

Klutch New Member

Feb 13, 2010
    I think something that is always overlooked is that it's concealed carry not concealed shooting and the fact that almost all of us will never pull our weapon in SD. I say carry what is comfortable to carry both in the pocket and in the mind.