Its my turn

Discussion in 'RDB Bullpup Rifle' started by iamscottasus, Jul 16, 2017.

1. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Well, here we are. Under, or within the first 100 rounds. The XM855 ran well and the XM 193 up until 25-30 rounds. An occasional FTE, some jamming that cleared.
    But then this happens, the bolt jams at the rear. Yea. As in above the hammer. As if the hammer had jammed the bolt back.
    Whatever it is, the charge lever can't free it. There's no more rear travel. The bolt is all the way back and not budging.

What do y'all think? Pack her up and send her back to wence she came?

Sure i could get to the bottom of this, but im thinking i would deny KT the opportunity to address a real field issue.

Perhaps I needs to get back to that AR build I dropped in favor of this platform. I've just been waiting for the right gas block to come along. 14.5" P&W light BBL adjustable mid gas, LAW folder. That is a 24" package folded. No problems. No breaks. No worries.
    I think see the light :oops!:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I don't own one but it seems too complex a machine to me for much user assessment/repair. I would send it back for sure. They typically give guns sent in for service a more thorough going over than the average one off the line gets, and of course they are test fired during the process and given some TLC.

haugrdr likes this.

3. NeilFromSeattle

NeilFromSeattle New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Hey iamscottasus,

Does it jam in the same spot that mine did - about 1/2 inch left to go until it's all the way back? Mine would eject and get stuck there. Took a very hard pull/wack on the charging handle to get it back the last little bit. Then it would run smoothly by hand again...

I noticed the plastic furniture is screwed to the "rails" that the bolt travels on in the receiver. On mine one of the screws sticks out/into the bolt travel area just a little bit. It doesn't get caught during hand cycling, but I wonder if that could be what's hanging the bolt up...

4. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Member

Feb 21, 2014
    I had already checked my cheek pad screws for protrusions that would interfere with the bolt but didn't find any. I don't know if the bolt has any more rear travel. Im not going to use any force on it with the charge handle. My impression of that handle is it may not take too much force on it. I could with a rod down the barrel or a lever in the eject well.
    It almost appears as if the hammer is lodged between the bolt and the carrier.
    I can get a picture up here later.
    Either way, this failure cannot happen in the field. I would drop the RDB and transition to another weapon, which I have done.

5. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Ok. I should have noticed it at the range, but its obvious. The piston broke free from its weld in the action spring tube.
    I thought this was fixed :wall: IMG_20170718_172516.jpg IMG_20170718_172329.jpg

850sub likes this.