It's broke in!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by cass, Sep 4, 2007.

1. cass

cass New Member

May 3, 2007
    I haven't posted in a few months but I wanted to say that my P3AT that I had trouble with at first seems to be broken in now.

It too about 200 rds, just like ya'll said. Now I have maybe the tiniest hesitation or feed problem just once in a while, easy to clear.

Either it was the 200 rds or it really, really likes the Remington ammo I got it. Or both. Anyway I trust it enough to carry and got it with me now.

Thanks everyone.

2. Happy for ya Cass...

Stop in more often with reports, or just throw in your 2cents.

We need more reports like yours posted.

3. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

Always great to see these posts. Hey newbies, if your P3 works fine then start a post about it. That way people new to the board see that the majority of KT's run fine.

4. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Sometimes it just takes a few rounds to open these things up. They seem to come pretty tight. Remember these thing like to be cleaned and lubed.

5. Southernshooter

Southernshooter New Member

May 31, 2007
    Broke in is much better than Broken ;D

6. outhouseking

outhouseking New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Cool!

7. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    fwiw, the tolerances on these can be pretty tight, and it may take a few hundred rounds to get things operating properly.

congratulations on getting over the hump, and welcome.

8. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Glad you kept at it and ended up with a useful pocket pal.

wyo-man

9. Walsh2

Walsh2 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Astonishing!

"Your gun works...congratulations".

These aren't supposed to be fishing reels! If there is a significant failure to work close to flawlessly out of the box, then quality control needs to be better, the gun needs to be better made, and the price will rightfully rise. Is your gun worth $50 more to fire properly when needed, or do you need to spend $100 on ammo to post "it works now!"?

50 rounds fired today with new slide....6 FTF where I needed to bang the slide forward. So I'll pay a good gunsmith, who makes guns and has worked on a number of these, $75 to get it working flawlessly.

Walsh

Out-of-box-results:
    Sig 229 - flawless
    Sig P230 - flawless
    Para-Ordnance P13-45 - flawless
    HK-P2000 - flawless
    HK-P2000 SK - flawless
    Glock 23 - flawless
    Beretta 92 FSC - flawless
    Sig 229 Equinox: High FTF rate...they told me I should have sent it back immediately as they looked at it and replaced it. I listened to people online who said "break it in" like I'm reading here. Sig didn't want the liability of my using a defective weapon and in two days I had a new one. The range I go to sells a good number of guns. It is very rare than a problem occurs but they get a lot with Kel-Tek's and they tell people who buy them that it's hit-or-miss. I have the money to make this work right and I didn't find another pocket gun that worked as well in and out of my back pocket in a pocket holster. But this shouldn't have to be the rule instead of the exception.

If you are carrying ONLY this gun for self-defense I put forth that you are dropping out of a plane with a parachute packed by the one-armed guy.

10. Roger3

Roger3 New Member

Aug 27, 2005

You must be new to gun fourms.

So let me explain.  Many, if not most people who go to gun fourms, are there looking for solutions to their gun problems.
    Therefore the Kel Tec fourm is full a people trying to get advice on their problem Kel Tec guns.

I glad that your Sigs, HKs, and Glock worked out of the box.  But not all of them do.
    Don't take my word for it, go look for yourself on the Sig, HK, Glock fourms.

There you will find lots of gun enthusiast trying to find solutions to their problem (not working out of the box) Sigs, HKs, Glocks, Para........

In fact it was my problem $1200 Bushmaster AR-15 that introduced me to the "world" of gun fourms.
    I got lots of helpful advice, and that gun has be trouble free for over 4 years.

I have even used information from this Kel Tec fourm, (fluff and buff) to "fix" my Springfield 1911 A1.
    Its now 100% reliable, just like my Kel Tecs.

:)

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Who asked you to come crap in someone's thread?
    IF someone can't make a postive remark w/o someone being a smartass, we have a problem.

12. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Wow.

Great words, Roger3!

And a great range report! I'm glad you're shooting well, and make sure to keep us updated!

13. .
    WOW---- Someone who says they have that many guns is going to PAY someone $75 to do a fluff and buff?

I will gladly PAY Walsh $75 for that "parachute packed by the one armed guy".

Seriously Walsh... you may have paid $250 for the 3AT... I give you $75...you don't pay the $75 for the fluff and buff....TOTAL NET of $150.

You are only out $100 and you are free to jump out of planes with a chute packed by someone you trust.

Mitch.... who likes the new math and who never understood why some one would jump out of a perfectly good airplane.

14. cass

cass New Member

May 3, 2007
    Wow, didn't mean to start a fight. I have a perfect-out-of-the-box Glock 19 also, but this P3AT is such a cute little thing, and for the money it's hard to find anything like it.

To honest, I haven't even cleaned it much lately either but it still shoots well.

15. This might be an interesting topic to a person new to this forum, but people who have been here even for only a few months find their eyes glazing over at your words.  You've come late to a party where that has been thoroughly discussed and all present have laid the subject to rest.

As far as breaking in a gun, it is generally accepted that before carrying a gun for self-defense, several hundred rounds of your chosen ammunition should be run through it to ensure reliability.  Thus, whether or not a pistol needs 200 rounds to be broken in is immaterial.

Oh, one last thing...when a man as tactful and diplomatic as TxCajun addresses you harshly, the guillotine has already been tripped and the blade is in free fall.  Might be wise to straighten up.

Paul

16. Very well spoken Paul.  IMHO, TxCajun has done a great job running this board.
    If the truth be told, Tx has thrown the yellow caution flag at me before. I am glad I did not growl back, but simply withdrew my very tacky post and moved on. I would rather be an active member of KTOG than be another troll walked to the gallows.

It has fallen before!
    [​IMG]

17. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Lately, I'm running low on tact and diplomacy is on back order.  Oooh...  Great graphic NAS.
    That could be the new warning.  I'm stealing it. Now if it only had a rolling head.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

18. You didn't save ITW's?

Paul

19. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    [smiley=lolk.gif] Nah, I was fresh out of pikes.

20. Walsh2

Walsh2 New Member

Jul 6, 2007
    Who asked you to come crap in someone's thread?  
    IF someone can't make a postive remark w/o someone being a smartass, we have a problem.
    [/quote]

I guess it would be the first few smartasses who drew first blood as well as the "hey guys...mine works!"

And it probably didn't help that I asked Kel-Tec to take the entire gun back to make sure it fired properly with the new slide and they said "it will". I asked if I could buy a new magazine and if they could take the cost of shipping off it and got a resounding "no, you have to pay for the shipping". Personally, I hope they get sued out of business if a defective gun results in harm.

BTW, you mistook my sound advice for "crap" and screamed about it. Bad dog...no bone.

Walsh

Walsh