It's ba-a-a-ack (from Cocoa)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Moleman, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    I got my P 3AT back today, at the 6 week mark. That surprised me since I called last week and was told a MINIMUM of 3 more, best case. Oh well. I was pleasantly surprised by the UPS delivery.

I ran 114 rounds though her and got 1 FTE at around 75, it was a Remington UMC JHP. I shot every kind of ammo I had; FMJ reloads, FMJ Remington, JHP Remington, WWB, Golden Saber JHP, and Federal Hydrashocks. Since this was a jam-o-matic that could barely get through a mag or two, this is a great improvement! (Zero jams would have been better, but...)

When I sent it in, it had about an equal mix of FTF and FTE, and LOTS of both. The paperwork said they polished the feed ramp and replaced the extractor. I was surprised by the feed ramp bit, since I F&B'ed it and it doesn't look any better now than when I had it, but, no expert am I. The extractor, like the rest of the gun, was brand new out of the box. Go figure. Also, it still needs a kick in the rear to load the first round, thought a polished feed ramp might improve that, but maybe I'll do a Dremel bit on it soon.

When I first bought it in January and had problems, lots of people told me that KT's quality blows chow but their warranty rocks. I think I see it that way now, too.

Glad to know I wasn't limpwristing... I was ready to ask my doctor about that... :)

Meanwhile, I've been carrying a Bersa Thunder and a Polish P 64 (Makarov 9x18) as CCW's in Thunderwear. It'll feel strange to have a full front pocket again at times.

-Moleman

2. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

I'm betting if you put a couple 100 rounds thru it for breakin, and clean the chamber [and keep the rest of it lubed] every 50 rounds, you will not have any more failures.

3. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    I'm hoping you're right! I'd love to trust this thing implicitly. It already has about 500-ish rounds through it counting what I did today. I was hoping the F&B and 400 or so rounds would do it before I sent it back, but it just never wanted to shoot more than a few times before jamming. Better now!

I'm at least ready to load it with personal rounds after I clean it tomorrow. (Now where did I put that Desantis?)

4. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Following the sage advice of many of the members here I have modified my idea of "perfect" functionality. If you consistently get the first 2-3 magazines of ammo (preferably your carry ammo) down range with no failures then that is good enough for me. The chances of your ever needing more ammo than that in a SD situation are essentially nil. Even with the P3AT you'll eventually get tired or sloppy and you might have a failure or two. I know you are having fun breaking her in again, but I rarely shoot more than 50 rounds at a session through any of my KT's.

5. learfxr

learfxr New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    They did a polish job on my ramp as well. Mine has only FTE once, and I had relaxed and wasn't focused on proper hand hold on that shot. Mine still hangs when loading that first rd. I keep it loaded, so that's not an issue for carry. Keep it nice and clean and lubed with gun oil. Mine seems to like it that way. I don't shoot more than 50rds most trips, it hurts my hand enough by then.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Sometimes I think that "polish feedramp" is preprinted in the form they bring up on the computer to print the work order. Hmm, sent in for broken grip comes back: "Polished feed ramp, replaced parts"

Momma doesn't do a very good job of telling us what was REALLY done when we send them in. It would be nice if it were better but its no big thing.

-Scott

7. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Totally agree with all comments. I ran as many rounds through it as I could in the time I had just to see what it would do, not because I normally expect to shoot over 100 rounds in an SD situation. Kinda like flooring your car when the lights turn green the first few times after a tune up. Just to see what she'll do.

The only reason I'd prefer zero to one failure in 75 is because you just have higher confidence when it's NONE. 75 aint bad. In all truth however, I have a Bersa that scores zero for lifetime, and a new mak that has zero in 2 range sessions, and a Ruger that has zero for lifetime. Some guns just NEVER EVER jam, period. KT aint one of them, so goes the pocket size compromise.

I also keep one in the pipe, so loading the first one is a non-issue, my point was that after KT polished the feed ramp again, it looked no better than when I did so, and chambers rounds no easier. I would have thought an improvement would be noticeable is all.

I carried it on errands today in the Desantis Nemesis in front pocket and it's really cool to have so little weight on you while packing. The bigger guns can be comfy, but not quite as. This definitely will be my bike riding/walking/jogging heater. Hmmm...wonder if they'll ever have a waterproof one I could take swimming at the beach???

Moleman

8. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Are you sayibng that the first one jamming against the feed ramp? and is it a hollow point. I got a new one that does the same thing love the gun though, going to take it to my gunsmith for a professional fluff and buff, hopefully that will resolve the problem.

Tom j

9. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    That's exactly right. Lots of guys here have posted that they polished the feed ramp to a mirror shine with a dremel and it feeds by hand easily. I might try it just for grins. Since at recoil speed, the next cartridge loads without a problem, it's rather a non-issue; provided you carry with one in the pipe.

Mine does it on most ammo, but on hollow points in particular it's more pronounced.

I can see why most guys here like to tinker with these mouse guns and get them all tuned-up, but honestly, if R___r, or any other competitor will have a version that works right out of the box, I'm thinking it'll raise the bar a bit. Lots of people who get a CC permit and buy a personal gun are not comfortable doing any smithing on it. It's becoming a consumer market more than an afficionado market these days, I think. I just bought an old (but new in cosmoline) Mak that I replaced the trigger and recoil spring on to make it downright shootable, but most gun newbies think I'm nuts for "tinkering" with a firearm. Times change.

10. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Humm that's exactly what mine is doing but only with the DPX Cor-Bon hollow points so go figure this gun was designed around this very round. Are you saying if you polish the feed ramp that that usually resolves the issue? Thanks

Tom j

11. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Time for someone else to chime in since mine also does it and I haven't fixed it by polishing the feed ramp with 600 sand paper (nor did KT by whatever means they polished it). However, lots of posters on this forum claim that fixed theirs (the dremel polish with polishing compound)... Getting the info from me is just hearsay, really, but I don't doubt the other posters a bit. I'll try mine when I get bored some time, but it works OK since I carry one in the pipe. I only have to tap the slide when I reload after each cleaning or when I'm shooting at the range.

I also need to acquire a dremel kit.

-moleman

12. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks again but to me I find this really annoying hoping I can get this resolved, may have to send mine back to the mother ship, but I think I'll give Kel-Tec a call and see what they have to say about this. I would really be concerned that this thing might not feed when I really need it to.  :-/ Anyone know of a fix for this. Say Tx you out there??

Tom

13. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    I agree with it being somewhat annoying, but since they had it for 6 weeks and now it basically works (shoots without jamming often), I'm not looking for excuses to send it in again.

I do find it surprising (and a bit disconcerting) that these things get such excellent reviews by the major gun magazines. If they'd be a bit more candid and bring up the weak points along with the strong, I think lots of people would walk into this knowing what to expect. Or choose not to walk into this at all and buy a higher priced but more reliable weapon.

All things being equal, had I known that Ruger and a few others were coming along, I'd have delayed my purchase and seen how the others performed for a while.

That being said, I LIKE it A LOT now that it's shooting!!!

14. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Humm hoping I can get this resolved without sending it back that right you just got your back and it still doing it. humm yep I'll will be on the phone today and report back what they say.

Tom j

15. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
  16. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks again but to me I find this really annoying hoping I can get this resolved, may have to send mine back to the mother ship, but I think I'll give Kel-Tec a call and see what they have to say about this. I would really be concerned that this thing might not feed when I really need it to. :-/ Anyone know of a fix for this. Say Tx you out there??

Tom[/quote]

You can fix it 2 ways, get your hands dirty and polish it or shoot 200-300 rounds through it and let the rounds polish it.

17. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Yup! That's what I was talking about, but admittedly I have not tried it on mine yet is all.

It's my bedtime. 'night.

18. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Say didn't you say you did a fluff and buff and that you already polished the feed ramp, just re-read your original post. Going to they that polishing rouge though followed by the  Flitz. I'm outa' here to yawn ::)

Tom j

19. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Neither P3AT in the house had this problem beyond the first round being hand loaded. And with JHP rounds.

Basically, until the ramp is fully broken in, the force from HAND CYCLING the slide is not enough to get JHP to overcome the slight catch on the ramp.

However, tapping the back of the slide just a tick would get it chambered. Then, I'd shoot the whole mag full of JHP rounds. Not a SINGLE one of them has ever hung on the feed ramp.

Basically, the low mass of the slide combined with weak hand-cycling and a rough feed ramp=JHP hanging on the feed ramp. Fairly common not only on this, but many low weight guns.

After 200 or so rounds, it's gone away on BOTH P3ATs.

Never once has any KT I own failed me because of itself. In other words, I've had bad ammo, and I've made errors, but my KTs haven't.

Pretty reliable. :cool:

20. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    [quote author=Curt32 link=1208303691/15#17 date=1208406022
    Say didn't you say you did a fluff and buff and that you already polished the feed ramp, just re-read your original post.
    Tom j
    [/quote]

Yes, but only with 600 sand paper, not with dremel. My point was that after I polished it, KT polished it again. Would've thought it would feed better after all that. No big deal. I think we've killed this thread already :)

Lurker: Now that KT has performed its magic on mine, I hope to join your camp. May all future failures be ammo or me (and may they be very few!)

-moleman