Ist Generation P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by steeler_ir, Sep 3, 2007.

1. steeler_ir

steeler_ir New Member

Sep 9, 2004
    A couple of years ago I purchased a P-3AT 1st Generation and was not satisfied with it due to jamming and misfires...after sending it back to the factory it was better but still had problems.  The P-3AT was to be my warm/hot weather carry pistol.  Needless to say I lost all trust in it at that time.  Then I found out about your site and joined.  Two articles that ended up eliminating all my problems.  The first one was the Reliability Preparation (Fluff & Buff) and the second article was how to properly oil and grease a pistol (Firearm Care - Lubrication).  Also, to improve my sight accuracy I installed a P-Sight which enhanced my target sighting.  At that time the pistol worked great...I fired 80 rounds of various ammo through it several different times with no problems with the ammo I used, with one exception listed below.  This past Saturday I took my P-3AT to the range and fired over two hundred rounds of ammo through it from the following manufactures with no problems (My carry ammo Corbon 80 gr. DPX, fired 80 rounds and Remington Golden Saber 102 gr. BJHP, fired 80 rounds and my target ammo Silver Bear, fired 100 rounds)...and that is after carrying it for a year and a half and never cleaning it.  It was full of lint...I did that on purpose as I needed to know how it would fire under those conditions which is a violation of normal cleaning procedures.  I cleaned the pistol last night and guess what I found to my suprise...apparently I forgot to clean it the previous time I took it to the range as it was extremely dirty (I am suprised that I did not have problems due to the fouling of the barrel and other components).   I am more than pleased as to the performance of my P-3AT, confidence level is now very high.  The only ammo that I have had problems with is Pow'RBall 70 gr., it just doesn't perform right...the case expands and won't eject about 40 % of the time...needless to say I will not be using it...I am going to stay with the ammo I listed above (Corbon, Remington for carry ammo and Silver Bear for target practice) as it performs great in my P-3AT.  I am extremely pleased with the operation of my pistol at this time.  Just want to say thanks for this site as with out it I would of given up on my Kel-tec P-3AT and missed out on the enjoyment it has provided me on the range.  It's a great little pistol to fire, that is when I get a chance.

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Nice report.  Generally speaking, the 1st gen guns did require a little more work than the current crop but I like them.  They are, IMO, more ascetically pleasing and a tad lighter.  I am surprised that the Silver Bear has not given you problems.  I think steel-cased ammo is best avoided in these ultralight guns.  It almost always causes extraction issues as the steel case expands but does not shrink back down as much as brass.  It is also harder on extractors.  If your gun will shoot that stuff, it should shoot about anything.  FWIW, if you have Academy Sports nearby, they carry some Serbian made brass-cased ammo (Monarch) that is about the same price as Wolf, Silver Bear, etc.

P.S. I would order a new extractor or 2 to keep around and maybe a recoil catch, just in case they run low on 1st gen parts.  

3. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    FWIW, that Monarch stuff shot fine from my P-3 but man !, was it dirty ! :eek:   Glad to hear that you are enjoying your new - old gun.  ;)

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Yea, it's not the cleanest stuff out there but I think the Monarch is no dirtier than Wolf, Bear, etc.  In fact, I think it may be the same as Wolf Gold.

On the subject of 1st gen P3s, did you know that the P-Site is available again?

http://www.psenhancements.com/

5. marshall

marshall New Member

Dec 8, 2004