Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I guess my luck ran out.

After 400-500 rounds of flawless function I'm now getting failures to feed. I took 70 rounds to the range and had 3 failures to feed in the middle of 3 magazines. A fourth failure to feed actually failed to load a round at all, but I'm pretty sure I dropped the magazine due to the death grip I had while trying to isolate the issue.

The first 3 magazines I held with a firm but not ridiculously tight grip. This amount of grip had never failed me in the past. The rest I held so tightly my finger tips were turning white (hence the mag drop).

The the first 50 were 115gr Federal American Eagle (first time using these). I figured they would be higher quality than the Monarchs I usually shoot without issue. I'm hoping it's the ammo and not the gun.

The last 20 were 115gr Gold Dots (no 124gr that weren't +P available). None of those rounds had a FTF, but I'm not sure I shot enough to determine reliability.

Unfortunately, I ran out of fun tickets to do more testing. What do you guys think? Is this a limp-wristing issue, or is it exacerbated by a problem with the gun or ammo?

(edited for clarification)

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
You don't need to grip so tightly...the main thing is not to let your wrist move at all. Try bending your elbows slightly. Take the recoil with your elbows. Lock the wrists.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
So if I read you right, the only issues you had were with the American Eagles? No problem with Monarch and no problem with the last 20 Gold Dots? Desribe 'failure to feed'.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Most feed issues can be traced back to the magazine, is what I have read. I would rule that out first and go from there

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So if I read you right, the only issues you had were with the American Eagles? No problem with Monarch and no problem with the last 20 Gold Dots? Desribe 'failure to feed'.
Well, the Monarchs were several months ago, and I remember having at least 1 FTF in 100 rounds.

This last outing had 3 FTF + 1 FTF where the round never even went in the chamber. However, that last one was probably due to me dropping the mag by accident (I should have checked before pulling the mag out to inspect the gun).

Of the 3 that didn't feed, they were stuck at about a 45 degree angle... never made it up the feed ramp (which is pretty shiny from the 400+ rounds that's been fed through it).

The 20 gold dots fed well, but 20 isn't really enough for me to trust my life with it. I'll probably need to have 50-100 rounds before I'm good and comfy with it.

I hope you guys are right about the magazine. I would really hate to have to send this in for repair. Also, a coworker of mine who was in the army said to mark the mags that fail and buy a few new ones. He said you can never have too many mags, and I'm inclined to agree :p

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Well, after re-reading your first post...you've had 3-4 FTF in around 500 rounds or so?

And this is a problem? :confused:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't need to grip so tightly...the main thing is not to let your wrist move at all. Try bending your elbows slightly. Take the recoil with your elbows. Lock the wrists.
Yeah, I knew it was excessive, I just wanted to try to isolate the problem. Of course, I didn't really have enough rounds left for it to matter anyway.

Do you have any tips for one-handed shooting with the PF-9?

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Same thing...bend your elbow slightly. Lock your wrist. You may have just been tired.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, after re-reading your first post...you've had 3-4 FTF in around 500 rounds or so?

And this is a problem? :confused:
No, the 3-4 failures were in the last 70 rounds. The gun performed flawlessly for the first 400-500 even with a substantially weaker grip. Hence why I think there's a malfunction somewhere.

Sorry, I'm bad with words. I edited the original post to clarify.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Do you have any tips for one-handed shooting with the PF-9?
On my PF9 I had to break it in one handed and weak side at that (shoulder surgery). I could go about 60- 70 rounds before I started to have problems. Used mostly Fed and WWB rounds for it. Worst problem was with Monarch. It had multiple light strikes and having to do resets one handed was not fun. I did learn to change mags one handed and how to rack the slide (and resets) using the sole of my shoe or the edge of a table. Actually the hardest part was filling the mags with ammo. That takes practice. Here again I had to use my shoeS.:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can we ASSume the gun is clean and lubed? Gotta check the simple stuff, just askin'
Definitely. I clean the gun thoroughly and lubricate it after every shooting session and reapply lube every so often as needed while it's stored (hoppe's 9 until I find a readily available alternative that's better).

Part of me wants to just buy another two mags, two mag springs (to attempt repair of the two i already have), and send the gun to Golden Loki for the fluff 'n buff.

It's just weird that it's fed without any problems for 400 rounds (almost entirely monarch at that) until now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I bought some mil-tec (NRA brand) gun grease and I thoroughly cleaned the gun and lubed it up to mil-tec and golden loki's instructions.

I went back to the range with 100 rounds and separated the mags. I shot the first 50 through one mag and got at least 4 failures to feed (pictures below), one of which didn't even strip a round off. I dropped the mag, racked, nothing came out...
The second mag had one strange failure to feed (entire bullet stove pipe? WTF!?). But, at least 40 round went through afterwards with no problem at all. Just for fun, I shot a few one handed without really caring at all how I held it or where it hit and it still functioned properly. So, I'm pretty sure limp-wristing isn't a problem here.

Needless to say, something needs to give because I don't trust this gun AT ALL. Does anyone know what I should do? Does this sound like a mag related problem where a new one or new parts will make it work 100%? Or, does it sound like the gun needs to be repaired?

Either way, I'm considering decommissioning this gun as my EDC. Tap-rack-bang only creates a double feed with these failures, so I have to drop the mag, rack the slide a bunch (shake the round out), slap the mag back in and do a tap-rack-bang. That's too much crap to worry about if I'm being shot at or charged with a knife. I need something 100%.

Never made it to the feed ramp...

What... the... $%&@!!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
That stovepipe with the unfired round is exactly what happened to mine. Had no failures day one with 30 rounds. Had about four of those stovepipes in 60 rounds day two. And had one issue of a round nose getting smashed either on ramp or ejection port in 50 rounds day 3.

Seems the stovepipe is a double feed of some kind. Mine improved after I took more care in trying hard not to limp wrist.

Day 4 shooting will be judgement day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I tried to create a limp-wrist failure in the second mag and it didn't jam. So, I really doubt it's a limp wristing problem. I want to say it's the mags problem, but the second mags crazy stove pipe (what do you even call that?) makes me think it's something else.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Need slow motion capture
Need an exorcist!

Just kidding. But, I would like to see what's happening in slow motion. I can't believe I've had zero problems for 400 rounds (extremely well maintained) and out of nowhere this starts happening. To top this off, my Glock 23 had 3 failures to feed in 100 rds with WWB (girlfriend was shooting it). I'm about ready to sell them both and pick up an M&P .40 and M&P shield 9mm. :mad:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts