Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 50 rounds I noticed a slight dimple in the rail but didn't think to much of it, figuring it was probably there from the factory.

Now after just coming back from putting another 100 rounds through it (for a total of 150 rounds) I noticed the "dimple" became 3 dimples and gotten much worse.

Does anyone know what is causing this and should I be concerned? Is it normal?

Close Up

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Unless it's worse than it looks in the pics, it's normal wear as the slide and frame break-in together. You can smooth any rough edges with some 600 grit paper, or not. Lightly grease the frame rails. That should stop after 2 or 3 hundred rounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about bringing this up again, I did a search, but wasn't sure what to search for.

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing this, I was a little surprised to see that much wear after so few rounds. I would have never expected the metal to be that soft.

Thanks again for the patience with a newbie.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Oh... I referanced that old post because I didn't think it was answered then either.

I also think it has to do with the cam "bouncing" during slide travel AND soft slide metal.  I don't think everyone has those dimples

my berreta has a similair cam disconnect and there is No indications on its slide, but my P3AT has similair to yours

G

·
It is normal, it is the trigger bar hitting the slide, the slide being the softer of the two,therefore this wear. It will stop, as the trigger bar after wearing in that spot on the slide, will no nonger be hitting it. I have over 4000 rounds through my one 380 and that wear stopeed 1000's of rounds back, now never even a burr in that area anymore. Probbly kt could have machined that slot into the slide (additional cost) but I am sure they found in all their testing that it didn't hurt anything and that shooting it wil produce the same results as possable maching, only at no cost, and I would imagine that some slides show less wear in that area, maybe do to more hardness in the slide in that area. I was told by Bob cogan at APW that kt hardens their slides in different areas- where needed. A good example is the very very thin part of the slide where the barrel cams up into. This is a very hardened area.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
jocko said:
kt could have machined that slot into the slide (additional cost)
It was machined out on the FG P-3ATs. Click on the picture below, them blow that up to max size. Now compare the FG to the SG slide to see the notch on the FG slide.

Wilson – who’s one of those 1,000 word people :)

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Wilson said:
It was machined out on the FG P-3ATs. ...
Only going by the photo. but isn't the visiable notch seem on the FG slide, the same hidden notch on the SG. Thus the SG requiring a more precision machining process, where as the FG just cut the hole slide thickness :-/

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
JFB said:
Only going by the photo. but isn't the visiable notch seem on the FG slide, the same hidden notch on the SG.
Your right, I’m not sure the little slide nick has anything to do with this. I do notice that the milling of that hidden notch on the FG goes further forward and is much more inclined. So the SG P-3ATs have more metal in that location than do their predecessors with less room for the trigger bar to operate. However, it doesn’t seem to do any harm. The three SG slides I remove all have the above dimples but the three FGs I took apart don’t.

Wilson – who’s off to reassemble six P-3ATs and hoping he didn’t get the parts mixed-up :-/

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Wilson said:
...the milling of that hidden notch on the FG goes further forward and is much more inclined...
Does it appear that the FG have the same dimpling as the SG. with the notch more inclined, the cam will be forced down slower as the slide speeds back, thus not rebounding as hard, thus less dimpling :-/

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
JFB said:
Does it appear that the FG have the same dimpling as the SG. with the notch more inclined, the cam will be forced down slower as the slide speeds back, thus not rebounding as hard, thus less dimpling
I didn’t see any dimpling on the three First-Generation P-3ATs, only on the three Second-Generation slides. The SGs have a longer less aggressive incline than FG P-3ATs notches.

Wilson – who’s returning to reporting rather than speculating :-/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.