Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for the spent brass in my P-3AT to be ejected up and over my head? My kids stand about fifteen feet behind me and try to catch the casings.

Shouldn't it be ejecting to the right?

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Most semis eject towards the right. P3s eject wherever the heck they darn well feel like it. Most it seems eject way up and WAY back. I can sit on the tailgate of my truck and most land in front of the truck.

There is another thread about this going on right now too.

-Scott

G

·
+1 Scott......

Especially with hot ammo. I have heard some guys reporting the cases actually go straight up and then hit them on the head as they come down.

I think it is indicative of how much energy is slamming around in these barely 8 oz guns.

Most folks forget... For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction.

The energy flying out of the barell is the same as the energy absorbed by the gun, transfered to the hand, and a tiny fraction is used to send that empty case flying.

This is why the limp wrist issue arises, as well as ...sigh... peening.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Anyone using the Wolff #13 recoil springs? I have been told that a gun with them in doesn't eject the brass as hard. (KT spring is less than #13?) I sent an e-mail to KT 2 days ago, asking them what the rating in lbs of the OE P3AT Spring is. They have ignored it, which is unusual. Of course I asked them to correct the over all length of the P11, which is about 1/4 in short as specified in their website and they ignored that also.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
I would be truly surprised to actually be able to find someone at KT who really knows what the spring rate of the P3AT springs are. My guess is that short of one of the original design engineers - all they know is to open the boxes marked "P3AT Springs"

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
tweety said:
My kids stand about fifteen feet behind me and try to catch the casings.
Buy those kids a butterfly net, as the casings might still be warm :)

Wilson – who’s remembering the time his wife tried catching spent P-3AT casings but missed and it went down her top ;D

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
adamsesq said:
I would be truly surprised to actually be able to find someone at KT who really knows what the spring rate of the P3AT springs are.
12 to 12.5lbs is what I was quoted by Kel-Tec when I was doing my P-3AT Wolff spring comparison test.

Wilson – who’s back to FREE factory springs :)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
RAT76 said:

And that casing is already coming back down.
Are you sure that’s your casing. What day and time were you shooting? Last Fall I was at my range in the DFW, TX area, shooting facing South and my wife commented that she was sure a couple of mine were launched into low earth orbit.

Wilson – who’s still wondering where his brass lands :)

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Well that explains it. I was wondering why I had two casings hit me and only one bang.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Adamsesq: I hope you are wrong and KelTec has prints, a document control system to control in house part production and for Receiving Inspection for those made by vendors. People dealing with the customers should be able to easily access those prints, or ask someone who can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.