Is this normal?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by tomwalshco, Oct 5, 2010.

1. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Just noticed this for the 1st time while cleaning tonight. Did a piece of my breech face break off or did I just never notice this cavity before?
    [​IMG]

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Mine don't look like that :eek:.

It looks like you got some soot deposits in yours, mine's cleaner than that ;D

it looks like a cavity was machined with the same diameter and angle as the hole for the extracter pin, then blended in when the port was cut. Looks like a very low stress riser corner, whether that was its intent or is it to allow case tilt when it strikes the ejector

3. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Those are rust pits from a house fire and fire hose water. I'd pull the extractor, but the frankenbolt head is almost stripped and don't want to mess with it until I have another one in my hand. I just want to know if cavity is supposed to be there. It still runs great after all it's been through...

[​IMG]

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    just joshing you a little on the soot, (more likely the reflections). But I wanted to add a little drama before saying mine had the same relief cut

5. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Thanks, I must have forgotten it was there. Not only are my eyes going, but the brain is in fast pursuit...

But this little guy is my most reliable gun. I've got a Glock, a Beretta, 3 Kahrs and a Colt and my little KT never, ever misbehaves.

6. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Mine has the same. I had to look and would have bet mine did not. How could a normal, sane, intelligent, handsome, cool guy like me have missed something like that? :-[ Scary!

7. tomwalshco

tomwalshco New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Bad lighting?

Looks like my extractor has a little chip in it, too. Time to order some parts, but I'm afraid of jinxing myself...

8. Possumgravy

Possumgravy Guest

Curosity got the better of me so I checked my P32 and P11. Well, guess what--they too have similar cutouts. I never noticed--or just didn't pay attention. :eek: