Is this normal???  "Phantom slide lock"

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by devils_haircut, Sep 19, 2009.

1. devils_haircut

devils_haircut New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    As stated in my other post, I have a p3at on hold at the LGS. When I racked the slide it locked back. There was an empty magazine installed. Being the first time that I handled one, I did the normal "pull slide back lightly and engage slide release lever"...but as you all know the p3at doesn't have one. I had to release the magazine and pull back on the slide. The salesman said that it has a slide lock but no release and that you have to take out the mag to release it. Sounds a little fishy. I asume that the upward pressure of the mag spring may have caused it. Is this normal? I don't want to buy a lemon, especially when I'm still debating a Sig P238 instead. Thanks for the advice.

2. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Re: Is this normal???  "Phantom slide lock"

the salesman is wrong . no slide lock on p3at. maybe someone here can help.

3. devils_haircut

Sep 16, 2009

Yeah I figured that, but he also admitted that he didn't have a lot of experience with them, since they sell them so quickly before they get to play with them. And this is not a nice big gun shop either, lol.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

That IS correct for a P32

I would remove the slide and look and see if it does have a slot stop lever (p32) or an ejector (p3at)
    If not familiar, putting a P32 and P3AT a few apart, it is hard to tell which is which

5. devils_haircut

Sep 16, 2009

That IS correct for a P32

I would remove the slide and look and see if it does have a slot stop lever (p32) or an ejector (p3at)
    If not familiar, putting a P32 and P3AT a few apart, it is hard to tell which is which [/quote]

Hmm...
    Come to think of it, they had a black P32 that I handled first before the grey/satin P3at. Maybe I'm remembering my experience with the P32 instead. I will have to go and check it out today. Thanks.

6. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009

I'd carefully examine the right side of the frame to see that it indeed says "P3AT CAL 380 Auto". If it does, I personally would avoid buying that particular gun.
    ~ROGER~
    [​IMG]

7. devils_haircut

Sep 16, 2009

May I ask why you would avoid it? Every picture of the p3at that I've seen online says  "P3AT CAL 380 Auto" on the side. I'm confused...???

8. witeout

witeout New Member

Aug 30, 2008

If: 1) the slide is locking back, and 2) it is a P3AT (marked "P3AT CAL 380 Auto" on the side), there is a problem with that particular gun.

As has been stated here by others, the P3AT does not have a slide stop / lock. A correctly functioning P3AT slide shouldn't ever lock back.

9. devils_haircut

Sep 16, 2009

Ok, gotcha.

I was misreading Rogereh's post. I can't remember if it was the P32 or the P3AT that locked back (I didn't think that either of them should've at the time.) I know for sure that the gun on hold for me is the P3AT since it was grey with a stainless slide. The P32 was all black. I'm gonna go check it out today as soon as my wife has deemed the yard work is done for the day, lol.

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005

A P3AT slide can lock back IF the back of the magazine follower extends high enough for the bottom of the slide's breach face to catch, but removing just the magazine would allow the slide to return to battery.

11. devils_haircut

Sep 16, 2009

Well, false alarm. ::)
    It WAS the P32 that locked back, not the P3AT. Man I really like that little gun. I think I'm gonna take it. By the way, the grey with stainless slide looks very sharp in person.

12. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004

I have the P32 and the P3AT. I'm not going to lay down prejudice on carry - both are KICK-BUTT carry pieces.

13. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004

[​IMG]

14. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

Second Gen P-3AT, First Gen P-32. Dig the eight groove slide serrations on the 1G.

15. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004

D a m n straight! Love 'em both! Park'ed over OD green.