Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my PF9 to the range last night, and had several rounds not ignite due to only a light dent in the primer. Most shot off with out a problem & had a distinct dent in the primer. But, I had a handful that only had a light dent & just didn't fire. I was shooting Atlanta Arms 147g FMJ's. Wish I'd field stripped the gun before posting this. I don't have the gun with me, and the thought of this malfunction is gnawing at me.

Does this sound like I have a busted firing pin?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Might need to clean the firing pin channel. Check out this thread
Easy. You'll probably find some machining "crumbs" or brass leavings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd try some different rounds first. Federal 115fmj primers seem to do well with most PF9s.
I thought of that, and that could be it. Only thing is I bought 400 rounds of that stuff, and have shot close to half of it over that past year without any issues til last night.

My gun prolly doesn't have more than 400 - 500 rounds through it. I bought it back in 2008. Had problems with it jamming (FTE I think) & sent it to kel tec. They fixed it, it worked fine for a while. Then last year I had problems with FTF. After talking it over with kel tec I sent it in, and they replaced the barrel which has a different shape than the old ones. Now a year later I'm having this problem, and it's not good. I don't want a different gun; I want this one to work.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Still you have never said that you have removed the firing pin and cleaned the channel. Would be the first thing I would do to troubleshoot the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're right, I have not. Looks like it could be it. I was just reading the thread showing steps for cleaning it. Looks simple enough. Thank ya'll.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I had the same problem with a P-32. Went through it all - ammo, fp channel, etc. In the end it was an old hammer spring that was over-stretched and weakening the hammer fall. It now lights off anything I give it.

It was second+ hand, so unknown number of rounds through it before me, but no signs of heavy use. I think it happened either deliberately from someone trying to lighten the trigger pull, or just over-stretched in the course of disassembling the frame from the grip, for whatever reason.

Contact KT and have them send you a new hammer/spring assembly. Pretty easy to change out, and may well be the source of the problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Maybe you could take out the pin and run something through the hole to make sure there are no obstructions. I know that I also had a little issue getting the pin back in so that it would move freely. I had to wiggle the pin as I set the screw so that it set in the right spot. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
The best thing I've found for cleaning the firing pin channel in the slide is brake parts cleaner with the straw. A few good blasts and it will blow any crud out. It won't leave and residue to attract anything either. Don't use any lube other than something that is dry, that way you should only need to clean it once a year or so. Make sure to wear safety glasses if you use the brake cleaner.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
While cleaning the firing pin channel may do the trick and definitely can't hurt, know that some brands of ammo have harder primers than others and your Kel-Tec just won't run them. I don't know anything about Atlanta Arms 147g FMJ's, but depending on what primers they use, cleaning the channel won't help.

If cleaning the firing pin channel doesn't do the trick and you have another (non-Kel-Tec) 9mm, you can always run the the remainder of the 400 rounds through it, or if you don't... Just resign yourself to knowing that some of the Atlanta Arms 147g FMJ's won't go boom and use them for malfunction drills. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While cleaning the firing pin channel may do the trick and definitely can't hurt, know that some brands of ammo have harder primers than others and your Kel-Tec just won't run them. I don't know anything about Atlanta Arms 147g FMJ's, but depending on what primers they use, cleaning the channel won't help.

If cleaning the firing pin channel doesn't do the trick and you have another (non-Kel-Tec) 9mm, you can always run the the remainder of the 400 rounds through it, or if you don't... Just resign yourself to knowing that some of the Atlanta Arms 147g FMJ's won't go boom and use them for malfunction drills. ;)
That's a good idea, and I do have a Springfield XDM 9 that hasn't had any issues with this ammo.

Thank you to everyone for the help on this. I'll let you know how it goes after I get back from vacation. Leaving tomorrow, so I will carry either my Glock G27 or my Ruger LCP in the meantime.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a similar problem with some bulk bought gun show ammo. I did some research and found an article about UZI ammo. Seems that a lot of the bulk ammo was built with UZI in mind, and that weapon has a much higher strike force than the PF-9, albeit the same caliber.

Anyone else heard this or is it just an old wives tale?

·
Registered
54 Posts

+1, S+B in mine is a nightmare.2-3 per mag don't fire.
Everything else goes bang everytime

1 - 13 of 13 Posts