Is there something wrong with my P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by xdfixr, Apr 6, 2010.

1. xdfixr

xdfixr New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    I purchased a new P3AT last October and have been nervous about malfunctions after reading the posts here. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with mine because so far it runs like a sewing machine. I couldn't be happier with this little gem. Does anyone else have this problem with theirs? :-[

2. MirageES

MirageES New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    There is something majorly wrong. You should send me the P-3AT right away so I can test it for you ;D In all seriousness, it sounds like you have a winner in your little P-3AT. Mine had a few issues during the break-in period, but it has run like a dream since. Have fun with your little gem.

3. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I think most of us have the same problem....so don't feel alone. :eek:

4. menocu

menocu New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    I have been having a similar problem with mine, it makes me so sad :D

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    On a forum such as this, you will see a lot of folks posting with questions and issues. It can give a false impression. The vast majority of P3s are very solid and reliable weapons. Heck, they've made more than a quarter million. Practice makes perfect. :)

6. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    very true, TxC, the P3AT I have now is great. Over the years I've had 5, 3 were 1stGen that I did the ramp mods on and tinkered with the magazines. Traded them. Then had 2 of 2ndGen that shot fine but still had the smiley problem that annoyed me to no end with the setback and damaged nose. Sold.
    Actually very few real problems.

But now the P3AT, serial K8xxx vintage I have even has the smiley problem fixed!

Not so with the LCP I tried, Worst smileys ever and lousy accuracy, Such a piece of junk!

KelTec cares! :) :) Ruger doesn't!! :( >:(

og

7. keltecfan

keltecfan New Member

Apr 7, 2010
    My dealer told me the same thing. I just purchased mine last week (2nd Generation). We got to shooting the breeze about the gun and I mentioned doing the F&B. He said he hasn't had a single issue with his and he didn't bother with the F&B at all. I haven't had a chance to take mine to the range yet, but I'm feeling pretty good now after reading the above comments and what he told me in person.

8. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I like doing the F&B anyway. I find that the polishing helps with the feed ramp an polished area clean-up that much easier after a shooting session. It also smooth out the cycling of the pistol getting rid of the "gritty" feel in an unbroken pistol. One friend who felt his P3AT after a full F&B said it made his pistol feel like a 500 dollar instead of 250 dollar pistol since it smoothed the operation, and smoothed out the DA trigger pull. I guess a fluff and buff it isn't necessary, but it is nice ;)

Best Regards:

9. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    No F&B on my K8xxx either. The ramp had a mirror polish and all I did was clean it, lub, and shoot it. Not a single malfunction yet, OTB I guess.
    Plus, it's just as accurate as my expensive Kahr P380!!
    Can't ask for more than that.
    og

10. xdfixr

xdfixr New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    Thanks for the replies reassuring me that my "problem" is okay.  It would be nice to see more folks posting the good things about the P3AT rather than the problems, but I guess most are happy when theirs work or grumpy when they don't, hence the postings we see.

oldgranpa,
    My KT had a mirror finish feed ramp from the factory as well.  They must be putting a little extra love into them to prevent return repairs.

11. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    You have to consider, most people make post to find solutions to problems. If there's no problem most people wont bother to post. There's no questions when it works lol. Sounds like you're one of the many people like me, who need to let more people know their gun worked great from the begining.

12. Glasstream15

Glasstream15 New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    I may have to send mine back to KT. About 400 rounds and, so far, it has 0 FTF, 0 FTE and 0 other malfs. I am really concerned about carrying my P3AT as an SD weapon.

Actually, I just wish .380 ammo was easier to find and cheaper and I wish the little baby was a little more fun at the range.

Two Kelties, 0 problems.