Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was checking out another forum and one of the threads was asking folks to attach pics of all of their daily carry gear. Anyway, I sift through pages and pages of pics showing 2-4 guns, multiple knives, OS Spray, flashlights, Kubotan Keychains, and some times much more. Question: I typically carry one firearm w/extra ammo and I know many prefer to carry 2 firearms. BUT, do most feel the need to carry the other extras such as OS Spray, Lights, & multiple knives if not working in Law Enforcement?

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I'm not in law enforcement. I carry one gun with two spare mags., and a folding utility knife (mostly for utility but could be used for defense in a pinch). I also carry a BIC pen that could be used for defense.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think a lot of people probably go overboard, but I'm not really in their situation so I can't say if they really need all the stuff they carry or not.

I will say that both knives and flashlights come in very handy and are much more likely to be needed than guns and spare mags. However, carrying multiples of each seems kind of odd.

I typically carry my Glock 22 and two spare mags (mostly to act as counter-weights). I'd carry a good folding knife if I had one, but I don't.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I carry either my p3at or my p11 depending on my mood and what I'm wearing nothing else. I usually am not in a place where a situation will happen but then again you never know. As long as a firearm or a samuari sword isn't envolved I can handle myself even if it's 2 people but that's my limit...

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Benchmade 4" Folder in my pants, always.
Streamlight Stylus LED in my shirt pocket always.

Going further then the back yard:
Cell Phone with 911 on Speed-Dial, always.
P3AT & spare mag, usually.

But I lead a pretty sheltered life.

IMHO: If you need more then that to protect yourself, you need a shotgun or rifle, a ballistic vest, a safer place to hang out, and a different group of friends.

rcmodel

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
+ 1 to rcmodel's list except a penknife instead of a 4"folder and cell phone always. Rather than a spare magazine I prefer a second gun and I keep pepper spray in my vehicle and carry it on my person quite often when away from home.

I also lead a sheltered life and try to avoid risky locations and people.

rcm made a good point about the ballistic vest. A level 2 vest is not a big burden and if you do have to go into a higher risk environment it makes a lot more sense to me to invest in a vest than a lot of expensive extra weapons.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
With the exception of a firearm (or two :-/), I personally don't carry anything on me everyday that I am not called upon to use at least semi-regularly. YMMV, of course.

Now in the car, OTOH... :eek:

·
Registered
858 Posts
a996hawk said:
Hey guys I was checking out another forum and one of the threads was asking folks to attach pics of all of their daily carry gear. Anyway, I sift through pages and pages of pics showing 2-4 guns, multiple knives, OS Spray, flashlights, Kubotan Keychains, and some times much more. Question: I typically carry one firearm w/extra ammo and I know many prefer to carry 2 firearms. BUT, do most feel the need to carry the other extras such as OS Spray, Lights, & multiple knives if not working in Law Enforcement?
I don't know Hawk, you may be on to something but while I have you here, I'm having a hard time finding an IWB holster for my Remington 870 Police pictured below. Know any good suppliers? It is my primary carry weapon. Mostly I carry a S&W Model 29 with a 6 inch barrel for backup and my two P3ATs are there to keep the flies away. But after reading your post, I am going to have to re-think everything. :-/

·
Registered
91 Posts
You have a good question. I carry a Glock 24/7(mostly to piss off 1911 guys ;D) along with a newly aquired P3AT off hand in a pocket.

Here is what I want you to do. For one week carry a small pocket clip knife and a small flashlight (1 to 2 cell AA or AAA). See how many times during the day you use these items. And yes, you do use the light durign the day.

I carry one of my Glocks, the P3AT, a flashlight, knife (great back up weapon), OC, cell phone, and spare mag. I was and still am a Scout - see sig line to the left.

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
Bobo said:
I'm not in law enforcement. I carry one gun with two spare mags., and a folding utility knife (mostly for utility but could be used for defense in a pinch). I also carry a BIC pen that could be used for defense.

Bobo, have you got a permit for that BIC? ;)

;D

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
RAT76 said:
Bobo, have you got a permit for that BIC?    ;)

;D
No permit. ;D
Kubutans which the BIC would be - sort of, are legal. There is no such thing as a "weapons" permit in VA, "Concealed Handgun Permit" is the only permit available (which I have).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Is there a such thing as too much?

YES! But everyone needs to determine what "enough" is on their own. Enough is what makes you feel safe.

I carry one gun 95+% of the time - no spare magazines - no knife or OC spray -

Sometimes I carry a 9MM and use the P-3AT as a back up gun. Like when I have little or no choice but to make a pit stop at a rest stop on the highway - at night - with only a few other cars in sight. I carry an extra gun because I feel a higher level of danger. If I felt this fear everytime I went to Wal-Mart I would seek some professional help.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Never carried a knife. Everybody I know that carried a knife for protection and used it, wound up cut or stabbed by there own knife. (not counting the pocket knife with the computer tool kit built into it that I use all the time)

If you can not overpower an opponent with out a knife, a knife won't help, unless you plan on sneaking up on them commando style (long jail time coming your way).

Carry a .40 cal handgun. Carry a .380 as a fast reload.
When I have on my coat I also have a .357 mag, because it lives in the coat pocket. ;D

·
Registered
806 Posts
I carry a Kahr PM9 with 2 spare 7 round mags in the winter as my coat gun.Pocket gun when the coat is not around is the P3AT with 1 extra mag.I sometimes wear a Spyderco Endura serated lock back that I use for utility or cutting a seat belt in emergency,etc.I do have an led light and a small swiss army knife on my keychain that is with me if I drive somewhere.Now woods carry is a different thing.Usually Glock17 loaded with hollowpoints with 2 spares with fmj round (for penetration of foliage,hard animal skulls....).In black bear areas,Ruger SP101 .357 with Federal Cast Core 180 grainers and 2 speed loaders.Usually..... 8)

·
Registered
275 Posts
a996hawk said:
Question: I typically carry one firearm w/extra ammo and I know many prefer to carry 2 firearms. BUT, do most feel the need to carry the other extras such as OS Spray, Lights, & multiple knives if not working in Law Enforcement?
Who's asking?? ;D

kraigster414 said:
I'm having a hard time finding an IWB holster for my Remington 870 Police pictured below.
That Rem 870 gives me a woody! Is it a 12 or 20, and how long...18.5?? I'm not a crazy about Rem, but the Mossberg 500 in 20 ga is on my '07 got-to-have shopping list. Very nice. :D

Ned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just a gun with spare mag and a pocket knife. Sometimes after a bean burrito I have access to chemical weapons. ;D But these can be dangerous with those who can't control them. AD's are no fun!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.