Is the SU22 just like the SU16 only in 22lr?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by gilfo, Dec 28, 2009.

1. gilfo

gilfo New Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I am thinking of buying a SU22 to compliment my SU16CA. Question is it just like the SU16 so shooting it would be like shooting the SU16 only in 22?

2. amaff

amaff New Member

Aug 15, 2009
    If I'm not mistaken, operation wise the only difference (in terms of "user interface) is that there's no bolt hold open feature after the last shot's been fired. Other than that, if my research was worth anything, not really. Mechanically, SU-16 is gas operated while the SU-22 is a blow-back design so under the covers they will be pretty different

3. LS240

LS240 New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    The "gas tube" on the 22 is shorter than on the SU16, which you can see if you compare an SU22 and SU16 side by side. This means you can't use the 16's forend bipod and the sight radius is shorter.

4. shep854

shep854 Active Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    The SU22 uses the SU16C sights, so the front sight is at the front of the recoil spring tube (which corresponds to the piston tube of the -16) rather than on a tower at the muzzle.

Actually, the SU22 does have a bolt latch*, but it's not activated by the .22cal magazine follower. The follower itself holds the bolt open after the last shot, but when the mag is removed, the bolt will snap closed. To use the rifle's integral bolt latch, you have to pull the bolt all the way back by hand, then push the latch up, same as on the SU16.

*Since both rifles use the same receiver, the hold-open was left in place (at least on my SU22).