Is the SU-22 affected by the proposed AWB?

Discussion in 'SU-22' started by gbm5170, Dec 19, 2008.

1. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Just wondering (hoping) that the SU-22 slides through the cracks of the upcomming AWB because it is a rim-fire and not a centerfire design, or will that not make a difference?

2. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I think the production SU-22 is OK, but they'll ban MY SU-22. :)

[​IMG]

Seriously, I think they've always stopped short of banning rimfire rifles, even in California. I hope that's still the case.

3. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    which AWB?

there are a few allready written (but not passed) bans that would affect the SU-22 just like the SU-16. The original federal AWB did not make any exceptions for rimfire's. but the current California AWB does allow rimfire's with "evil" features.

4. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    H.R. 1022 has already been introduced in February of 2007 but never made it out of committee. A few people are afraid it'll be the model for any gun ban to come. It's been described as the Brady Bill on steroids. It contains all of the same restrictions based on function and appearance and more, and a long list of weapons that are specifically banned including the cute little SUB-2000... bastids!

My SU-22 in its current configuration has all of the features on the proposed banned list except the pistol grip:

Note that these features are OR features. A detachable magazine and any ONE of them would get you banned if this bill became law, and my SU-22 is four for five! I think the factory configuration of the SU-22CA rates three of the five, assuming they'd call the ventilated forend a barrel shroud. Why not? The bill was introduced by Carolyn "The Tool" McCarthy, and when Tucker Carlson asked her what a barrel shroud is and why is should be banned, she tried to change the subject twice and he persisted and she finally admitted that she didn't know what a barrel shroud was and lamely offered that she thought it might be "the shoulder thing that goes up". THESE are the people taking away our inalienable rights, folks!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U[/ame]

Note also that Rahm Emanuel was one of the 67 cosponsors of H.R. 1022. That's a lot of cosponsors for a bill that didn't leave the committee. Rahm Emanuel is the guy who was selected by Barack Obama to be his chief of staff. No gun ban in our future! :-/

5. Zer0DazE

Zer0DazE New Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I have a hard time believing the NRA won't fight this.

It seems scary how many people are okay with this, and the patriot act.

"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

6. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    The NRA is you and me (whether we agree with them on very issue or not) so you all join the NRA + one other gun group of your choice, i.e. SAF, GOA, JFPO, etc. If you can, also join one of your local state groups, although they have more of a local focus.

I think that for $10.00 current NRA members can sign up family and friends for an affiliate membership, that is all good as then that counts towards the NRA's membership total (sadly that number is usually all that some politicians look at).

Gun rights are facing a blood bath next year (most of it will be unreported by the mainstream media). We can expect to have all the screws tightened on every front by the Obama administration!

7. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    If they ban a "barrel shroud" on a semi-auto rifle, they will be effectivelly banning all semi-auto rifles. I can't think of any semi auto that does not have some sort of protection around (or under) the barrel. At least the supreme court has made it clear that banning all semi-auto's (pistols in DC) is not acceptable, so I doubt that this ban (in it's current language) will make it anywhere. But I am assumeing logic will prevail, which is not the best assumption, when it comes to politics and the law.

the real scary part is that there is legislative language out there that will ban parts to convert rifles into banned "assault weapons". this would end all accessory sales of stocks and forends, just because they could be put on a post-ban rifle.

I personally do not believe anything will happen until after the mid-term ellections, (2010) but you never know.

8. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    I don't think that the anti-gunners can help themselves, but we will see! I'm expecting a gun rights bloodbath next year. MOST of our rights will be taken away behind the scenes with administrative maneuvors....and this is not to mention the future rights lost long after the Obama administration leaves office because the federal courts (and quite possibly the Supreme Court) will be stacked with judges hostile to gun rights.

9. Liberty4Ever

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    Carolyn McCarthy may decide that a barrel shroud is a ventilated forend (like the SU-22 and SU-16 and PLR-16) and not solid like many older rifles. Who knows? She didn't even know what a barrel shroud was when it was a line item in the H.R. 1022 legislation that she introduced!

Here's some legislative reform:

1) The legislators must WRITE the bills they introduce. Some anti-gun group that's a big campaign contributor should not be allowed to write special interest legislation.

2) The legislators must READ the bill before voting on it. These bills are hundreds of pages long, often do exactly the opposite of what you'd think from the name, and the new pumped-full-of-pork versions often don't appear until the morning of the vote. How can anyone vote on legislation they haven't read? Isn't that the bare minimum expectation? If the bills are too long, then write shorter bills and stop pumping them full of pork.

3) One item per bill! It's impossible to hold legislators responsible for voting for their own pay raises when it's slipped into some "must pass" bill. Obviously, it's not an accident that the corrupt system is structured this way.

Who knows? Gun laws are so stupid and arbitrary that the SU-22 forend may be banned because it's black and it scares Chuck Schumer. They apparently don't need any other reason.

Obama is saying that gun owners don't have anything to fear and he's not going to take away our guns. Well, gee, now I feel a lot better. Oh wait, I remember George W. Bush running for president advocating a "humble foreign policy and no nation building". You can tell they're lying because their lips are moving.

Keep yer powder dry, boys.

10. grapony

grapony New Member

Sep 2, 2007
    Heart of Dixie
    What happens if there is a ban? I mean what do we do if we own a ak47 or high cap pistol? Will it be illegal to even carry them to the range to shoot them?

11. ktwm

ktwm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2004
    grapony,

the original AWB in the 90's only affected newly manufactured "AW's". all existing "AW's" and normal capacity magazines (I believe it's normal to have more than 10 rounds in a mag) were not affected. Only the production of New products was affected.

it's very unlikely (but not impossible) that any new legislation would not have a grandfather clause. Otherwise it would instantly make criminals out of millions of Americans, and no politician that is up for re-election wants to be tied to that.

we really can't so anything until something is proposed....I guess we will just have to wait and see after the inauguration.

12. gbm5170

gbm5170 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    After the ban on newly manufactured freedom arms the next 'reasonable common-sense' measure will be for congress to require registration of existing AWBs.   And after that....well there is owner licensing, transfer restrictions (i.e. fees, taxes, etc) , even expanding the 1934 NFA to include AWBs and finally confiscation.  In short, nearly all semi-auto arms will eventually be deemed assault weapons (if the anti's are unchecked by the votes of ordinary folks like you and me).

In the event of a dire national emergency that overwhelms the resources of our standing armies and state national guards, we 'subjects' will be expected to fulfill our duties in the militia with our duck guns and squirrel rifles!

13. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005