Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know no one really knows the answer to this, but I just had to vent a bit.

I really want this joker. LOL

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
Since it has been announced, but not officially unveiled at SHOT, I would say it's a definite future product. But I do believe Kel-tec would be well advised to work all the kinks out of the PMR it is based on before they unleash the RMR onto the world. RFB, KSG, and PMR growing pains spring to mind.....

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts
But I do believe Kel-tec would be well advised to work all the kinks out of the PMR it is based on before they unleash the RMR onto the world.
Hmm... I haven't seen any "kinks" in the PMR in quite some time. :confused:

Most of the few issues you see anymore are with earlier models or are routine stuff that happens throughout the lifespan of any product. I think this post sums up changes to the PMR over the past year and a half, although there have likely been other small inprovements since this was posted:

I received my PMR-30 in November of 2010 - one of the first models. Since then, it has had three trips to Kel-Tec, and below is an outline of the variations I have noted after its return.

The very first models were shipped with a fluted barrel and had an opening in the slide over the top of the rim of the cartridge when it was in battery. The polymer frame was slightly slick and hard. When you would tap on it with your fingernail, it would "click". It is typical for this style of grip to have a noticeable "droop" toward the front resulting in a small gap between the slide and the frame under the muzzle.

The first revision was the addition of a piece of metal added to the slide to cover the top of the cartridge rim when it was in battery, although the cutout was still evident in the polymer slide cover (the part with the rear sights molded in).

The second revision was to replace the fluted barrel with the new tapered barrel. The new barrel has an upgraded twist rate in the rifling. The slide was also upgraded with even more metal around the cartridge rim, but the cutout in the slide cover was still there.

The third revision included a slide with ".22 WMR" stamped at the chamber opening, the addition of set screws on the adjustable front sight, and even more metal around the rim of the cartridge. The slide cover no longer has the opening over the chamber, and the polymer frame is made of a softer and more textured material. There is no "droop" in the frame and it has remained so for about five months. There is also a new white opaque buffer.

I have recently seen a model on Gunbroker with a polymer grip that has an even more aggressive texture than mine, so there may be a forth revision.

Check out these links for photos of some of what I described above . . . .

Original with the “Loaded Chamber Indicator”
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=212767

Original – note the hard smooth polymer frame
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2050378&postcount=19

Revision #2 – note the "gap" between the slide and the frame
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showthread.php?t=212591

Revision #3 – note the softer polymer frame
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2096102&postcount=6

Revision #3 with a laser
http://www.thektog.org/forum/showpost.php?p=2105669&postcount=52
To answer the question that was asked, last I heard, we may see an RMR or two this summer.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I handled the RMR-30 at the 2011 SHOT Show, and am very much looking forward to obtaining one myself.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Im guessing we will see the same production release that we experienced with the KSG. Late year production with a last week of buiseness in December shipment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Im guessing we will see the same production release that we experienced with the KSG. Late year production with a last week of buiseness in December shipment.
What makes you think that? Is there a specific reason KT would release it this way? As a leadup to SHOT Show? Just curious as to why they would use the same or similar timeline as the KSG, as opposed to a summer or fall release.

·
Administrator
31,979 Posts
The RMR was to follow the KSG. Last we heard from KT engineer KTWM, he was saying summer release.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Like I posted its a guess. I put a lot of hope that the KSG was going to hit LGS by late spring last years and didn't see a release till last few weeks of December so I figure the same for this release.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Since it has been announced, but not officially unveiled at SHOT, I would say it's a definite future product. But I do believe Kel-tec would be well advised to work all the kinks out of the PMR it is based on before they unleash the RMR onto the world. RFB, KSG, and PMR growing pains spring to mind.....
Since the barrel of the RMR is long enough to have a pressure curve that supports purely blow-back action, I'd expect it can be a lot simpler than the dual locked/blowback hybrid action of the PMR that's designed to accommodate the wide array of bullet weights and pressures in a short barreled pistol.

KT's biggest problem as usual is market demand vs. production capacity.

I respect their decision to not risk the company with debt to expand (faster than they already are), and get into "win the battle-lose the war" scenarios by growing too fast, however frustrating it may be to me as a customer. :eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not terribly interested in the PMR, at the current price point, but when Kel-Tec catches up with demand and the price creeps back toward reasonable, it might wind up in the safe.

·
Registered
679 Posts
BellyUpFish said:
I'm not terribly interested in the PMR, at the current price point, but when Kel-Tec catches up with demand and the price creeps back toward reasonable, it might wind up in the safe.
I ordered one as soon as I herd kel tec was gonna make them!!! I dragged my feet with the Grendel and missed out. This is supposed to be much better.

When it came in I did not take it!! Some months later I was again in a shop with a riding buddie who wanted one and tried to convince me we both needed them... Well this shop had three in the case!! We BOTH turned them down!!

Again another 6 months and I run into a fellow at the range with one and I get to shoot it.... SOLD!! I again went down and put the $$ down. Now I'm still waitin......

I'll buy it this time!

CW

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I ordered one as soon as I herd kel tec was gonna make them!!! I dragged my feet with the Grendel and missed out. This is supposed to be much better.

When it came in I did not take it!! Some months later I was again in a shop with a riding buddie who wanted one and tried to convince me we both needed them... Well this shop had three in the case!! We BOTH turned them down!!

Again another 6 months and I run into a fellow at the range with one and I get to shoot it.... SOLD!! I again went down and put the $$ down. Now I'm still waitin......

I'll buy it this time!

CW
What do you ride? Here's mine..

·
Registered
679 Posts
A.O. said:
What do you ride? Here's mine..
I'm actually between road bikes. Had a very bad car accident about 7 years back. Broken spine, compressed vertebrae in my neck and three ribs pulled out for good measure. I can ride now but only for limited time. Maybe next year I'll e good again...

I'm
Really jones in. As he bought a brand new Ultra Classic in '10 and another friend a '11 Road King. I will look hard at the Road Glide. ;)
CW

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I've rode all three and hands down the Road Glide rides and handles the best..I'm also a certified MSF motorcycle instructor...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have 5 Grendel p-30's and 2 PMR's. The only thing I like better about the PMR is that parts/service are still avilable, and magazines don't sell for $100! I still buy every Grendel P-30 at a reasonable price ($400-$450) that I can find, unless it has a very low serial number. (known for broken fireing pins, extractors, and hammers.)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts