Is the P3at your favorite Concealed carry weapon?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hoopster, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Initially I bought the little kel-tec for light summer carry and other times when a larger gun might cause a problem. I could carry a Glock 23 IWB no problem and also carried a snubnose .38 which was even easier. They all have their pros and cons but the P3at is becoming my favorite. Here's why:
    1. Lightest, smallest and by far the most comfortable.
    2. 7 shots vs. 5 in the snubnose.
    3. Easier to draw since I can have my hand on it in a pocket (Here, take my wallet ;)).
    4. Laser is an added advantage, plus it actually lights up the target some in pitch dark.
    5. I feel safer with one in the chamber than with the Glock.

I know there are many great carry guns out there so I'd love to hear other members comment on them, especially in relation to the P3at.

2. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Re: Is the P3at your favorite Concealed carry weap

Until I purchased my P3at, I did not always carry...now I do :)

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

P3AT used to be my favorite as it got me into carrying everywhere everytime. Then I learned how a good holster can allow a larger weapon (such as a P40) to be carried more often and now I rarely carry the P3AT as I find the P40 goes with me more often. But if I am at all concerned about just maybe getting "made" (which I rarely am) then the P3AT is still the weapon of choice.

-Scott

4. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008

Yep; here is why, 8rds, hornady CD's +1mag, CT laser, all in a [highlight]10 oz[/highlight]. pkg. Inexpensive to buy, 700+ rds down range w/no hic-ups, easy retreive from galco front pocket, (walking) or kangaroo high belly (driving), feel completely confident in it for a close range definsive carry weapon.  Jim  <><

[highlight]Corection,[/highlight]  forgot to zero my gramming scale, 3AT 12 1/2 oz. --  P 32 11 1/3 oz. -- both with +1 full mags. and CT lasers, and Tractiongrips....

5. JB

JB Guest

I wouldn't say the P3AT is my 'favorite'.  It is certainly the easiest to conceal.  However, I like my P11 a lot because it is also light, relatively easy to conceal (when 'deep concealment' is not a factor), holds more rounds and is a more powerful caliber.  Then there is the Rossi .357 snubbie.  It actually holds six, not just five, and is a .357 - my only .357, in fact (which, for reasons I cannot fully explain, remains my favorite caliber.)  It is also relatively easy to conceal, doesn't weigh enough to bother me and is comfortable to carry.  Did I mention that it is a .357?  Plus, I must admit that while I recognize the usefulness of semi-autos, revolvers still hold a special place, for me.  Oh, and of course there is the fact that it is a .357.  I'd say that, overall, I like all three of them just about the same but for slightly different reasons.

6. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

I'm with JB. The P3 isn't my favorite, but it is the most concealable. I usually only carry my P3 when I run, simply due to it's small size and light weight.

7. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

Aug 21, 2008

No, my P11 is.
    I did some testing with water jugs and found that the .380 cartridge was so weak that the bullets would not go through 12 inches of water and hollow points did not expand. I felt that to be inadequate for self defense and moved up to 9mm (my P11) because I didn't have a concealable 40 caliber pistol. If I have to defend myself I want to stop the BG as fast as possible.

8. fatman

fatman New Member

Apr 6, 2005

jeeper1: I respectfully suggest that you try several brands of 380 ammo before you reject the P3AT. There have been numerous tests of a variety of ammo in the AT with the results published on this forum. Reviewing those tests may help you select a more satisfactory load.

As for me, the P3AT is my "always" gun being with me virtually all the time except when sleeping. In that respect it probably qualifies as my favorite gun. Most of the time it is accompanied by my Kahr PM9 or P45 with the P45 being the gun I like best when circumstances allow me to carry it.

9. Nexttime

Nexttime New Member

Dec 5, 2008

It's my favorite backup gun. And I carry it often. If I didn't carry my primary, I would certainly bring the P3AT along. Does that count? :)

10. norton

norton New Member

Jan 25, 2008

My P3AT is one of my favorites. Love the fact it conceals well. Perfect for
    low profile carry. Then there is the other end of the scale double stack 45
    for work.
    Contrary to current thought, I'd rather have my bullet stop in something than go thru.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Norton

11. lop

lop Well-Known Member

May 20, 2008

Yeah, well I carry so I don't have to run. ;D Just kidding. With my knees I can't run. :(

My p3 is my least favorite (hand) gun. Pricey ammo, hard to hold, low power. It is with me all the time. I got it so I could carry in the hot Ga. summers, but when it got cooler and I could carry larger stuff I said to my self "my self, why wouldn't I still carry the p3?" I love the feel of my .44 mag, both in the hand and booming on the range. When you pull back the hammer and it rotates the wheel and locks in with that little "snick" it just lights my fire. My sig p226 holds 15 with 15 more in my pocket. Easy shooting, hard (enough) hitting, and, as others have said, boringly reliable. But when I've got any of my other guns with me, my back pocket has my little p3. If you see me in the yard with my slippers and bathrobe on, i've got the p3 in the pocket. If you are unfortunate enough to catch me out with just my slippers on and peeing on a tree at 2 in the moring with the dogs, i've got a p3 in my left arm pit. I've got a little bit of leather that i've cut/sewn so that my cell phone, extra p3 mag, and little leather man tool sit in my left pocket with the mag in the middle, sitting up ready to go. Is it my favorite? no, but i've always got it on me, and I like that alot. ;)

12. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas

It's a tie with the P 32 ,I'm happy with either. Course I'm not above carrying something bigger and these go to BUG status ;)

13. ctlover

ctlover New Member

Nov 9, 2008

As stated by someone earlier, the P3 started me into being able to carry concealed all the time, whereas I couldn't before. It may not be my absolute favorite but it sure beats not having a weapon at all.

14. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006

While it's a great little gun it's not my favorite. My SP101 in .357mag inspires confidence that the P3at can't touch, but I can't carry that all the places I carry the P3at either. Bewteen those two is the P11, which does pretty well and I don't worry a bit about it printing when it's IWB. Because of its size and weight the P3at gets carried the most and I have no problem with that.

15. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008

The P-3AT is absolutely the easiest to carry and mine has been very reliable. That being said my J-frame Smith is almost as easy to carry and I have no doubts about it's reliability.

16. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008

I had a Taurus PT140 Millenium Pro .40cal before I got my P3AT, and as small as it was, I simply wouldn't carry it as to me it was just too bulky. I don't like having things hang on me, and I often don't even carry a wallet unless I'm in a store and have to. I knew that I wanted a small, yet adequate gun that I would carry, and the P3AT fits the bill perfectly for me. I carry it almost everywhere with no problem, and it doesn't bother me. I personally feel that the .380 with a good hollow point is enough to do the job in a self-defense situation. I have the Armalaser on mine, which is extra insurance to me of being able to quick shoot at close range and hit the target accurately before even having to sight in the target. I'm very pleased with mine.

17. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

As has already been said, I didn't always carry until . . . . . . .

I actually bough the Elsie Pea first, then a PF-9, then my P3AT. From June 2008-January 2009, my LCP was my primary carry. Now my primary is my P3AT. As it turns out, my P3AT has the better trigger. That is why it won out. It easily conceals in my pocket holster from http://www.pocketholsters.com/ just as my LCP did. I am always carrying one of the .380s as I still carry the LCP from time to time and have been known to carry both 380s plus my PF-9 especially if I'm wearing my 5.11 jacket or one of my Roma leather concealment vests. On rare occasions, I will carry the PF-9 only in my High Noon Closing Argument holster. However, I love my P3AT and would rather have it than anything larger because it is so easy to conceal. I recently put a belt clip on both the P3AT and the LCP. This makes it much easier to carry both 380s. One in the back pocket in holster. The other in my waistband.

[edit]I was rereading this thread when I came across my post. Since writing this post, I've switched completely. My PF-9 is my primary carry gun with the P3AT as back up. Right now, however, my PF-9 slide is home at mother's getting replaced due to a crack. I'm rather comfortable with the P3AT though in the meantime. I still trust the P3AT completely and have no trouble relying on it until I get my PF-9 back up and running.[/edit]

18. engineer88

engineer88 New Member

Nov 26, 2007

Hard to say. I would have to say second favorite. If I had never encountered rust on my slide, maybe first. But in FL when you are at festivals, the beach, etc. and walking and sweating, I worry about it a bit (picky about holsters being sweat proof now), although it never affected reliability, I just like it looking good while it is in my pocket where no one can see it... ::) :-[

Which is why I will be getting it nickel plated soon, but for me there is something about my S&W 637 snub that makes it my all time favorite. I started out anti-revolver and now I am a total wheel w-h-o-r-e. Hahaha

19. bro61

bro61 New Member

Sep 13, 2008

Semi-auto's are cool no doubt about it but nothing gives you a sense of security like a quality revolver.

20. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006

[quote author=bro61 link=1235621300/15#18 date=1235804704][​IMG]

Scott - that is a great reference pic. You should pair it with another (merged into one pic for convienence) that shows a comparison of thicknesses. IMHO, that's where the P3 shines compared to a snubby, well and in weight of course, and you could add the weights to the caption. Nice pic. :cool:

On topic - nothing is easier to carry than a P3 except for NAA minis and the advantages of the P3 are apparent.