Is the KelTec factory overwhelmed?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Ohio_Rusty, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I've been checking with the local gunstore here in Southeast Ohio weekly to see if they have gotten their hands on a P3AT yet for me. The owner sez the can't get one. He also sez that his distributor is unable to get them. No gun shops in Ohio have them or have been able to get them. (I've turned down two available that were in the $350 price range). I talked with Handguns Direct on the 'Net and they said they can't get them and they are only taking names on a waiting list. Can anyone say if Keltec is having problems manufacturing or that there is such a demand that just no one can get their hands on one? Just curious to know ........
    Ohio Rusty

2. Dan-O

Dan-O Active Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Kansas
    In my opinion with the number of states that are now offering concealed carry licenses, Kel Tec pistols are in high demand. Most of us that do carry concealed all day do not want a full size kimber on our belt. I think the majority of cc folks out there want something smaller that is extremely concealable and light, that still packs a decent punch, and is easy on the wallet.

Buds Gun Shop-just google it, has a nib .380 with an od green grip.

Good luck.

3. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Rusty, six or seven NIB P-3ATs have recently been sold by one of our members on the Forum’s Trading Post at priced from $219 to $240 which including shipping to your FFL.

Wilson – who’s the lucky $219 buyer, ‘cause he needed another P-3AT [smiley=engel017.gif]

4. kb61751

kb61751 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I was told by a local gun shop, that called Kel Tec, that they were somewhere 13,000 (or maybe 23,000 I forget) P3-AT's behind in production. I did find a St. Louis store that had 2 of the p3-AT in Park at $259, so I bought them both. I beleive Graff's sporting goods in St. Charles, Mo ((636) 946-7468)  has one still.

5. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I think there’s some P-3AT hoarding going on!

Wilson – who’s ducking :D

6. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL
  7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

Now who would do a thing like that? :-/      ::)     ;)

8. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Thanx for the input folks. I appreciate your advice. I dd send off a couple of inquiries. I guess good things come
    to those who wait ...... Patience is the name of the game.  
    Ohio Rusty

9. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    kt makes batches of products...so if you see 'em, get them while you can...gpr

10. Rotorflyr

Rotorflyr New Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Check Kames Sports* in Canton (330-499-4558)

I recently bought one there and at the time they had 3 3AT's in the case with more in back (2 were Black frame, I believe one was a parked slide the other was blued and 1 was an OD with blued slide)
    I bought an OD framed (not the one on display) as it was on sale for $229, iirc the others were marked at $259 picked up some ammo and a Nemisis holster as well for under $300 (the Nemsis was marked for the P32 but the 3AT fit)

*edit - seems like just about every time I go in there they have at least one on display as well as a P32

11. onefunzr2

onefunzr2 New Member

Aug 8, 2006
    can't keep up with demand

Can't produce enough? That's the best news ever! The word must be getting out that this is one sweet mousegun for those with a concealed carry permit. I knew I made the right choice when I picked the P3-AT over everything else.

12. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    There were a bunch of them at the gun show I went to in Fort Worth last weekend. I think there is one in Dallas this weekend where many of the same vendors will have a table. I didn't pay attention to pricing except for the blue frame hard chrome slide P3AT's, which were all priced $280-290.

I am glad to see the Kel-tec factory running at capacity. They have innovative and affordable products, and great customer service. Generally speaking that is a proven business model.

Now if my FFL could get her hands on a HC PF9 in gray or green I would be happy.

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    For the past few years, P3AT production has been around 1000 per week. Possibly the increasing popularity of the PF9 has cut into that capability. Who knows? :-/

14. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Thanx for the leads Fellas ..... I called the Listmember that Wilson pointed me to and he had one left of the six. needless to say .... I bought that pistol in a heartbeat !!  No complaints on the price, and by the middle of next week, I'll have my new P3At .... woo HOO !! now it's time to start studying the disassembly and new gun cleaning info posted on the list. My Nemesis holster arrived on Saturday from the Midway sale. So I'm all set to get it cleaned, fluffed if needed and start practicing. Thanx again all for your help in finding a P3.
    Ohio Rusty