Is the hammer always under some spring tension?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Drivebytrucker, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Drivebytrucker

Drivebytrucker New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Im not exactly 100% understanding the mechanics of the hammer block. Does it just keep the hammer away from the pin in case the gun is dropped? After you chamber a round, is there any spring tension on the hammer? I was thinking there was no spring tension on the hammer, until the trigger creates the tension thru its travel and the hammer falls on the firing pin. What makes me ask is this: in the cross section in the manual, when the gun is at rest, the hammer is far from the pin(approx1/4"). THis makes it look like it is partially cocked. That is what makes me ask. I just have to know exactly how a gun works before I vsrry it in the pocket eith one in the chamber. I thought I knew, but the cross section of the gun in the manual made me start asking questions. thanks...

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Re: Is the hammer always under some spring tension

The hammer is under very little spring tension, even if it were to somehow fall off the hammer block, there isn't enough tension to fire a round.

Rick

3. Drivebytrucker

Nov 22, 2008

Is there any kind of animation out there showing the operation of the gun? probably no, buy I thought I would ask.

4. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005

This used to be an animated gif but it is not animated for me now. I am not at home and maybe it is the internet connection here.
    [​IMG]

5. crv99

crv99 New Member

Dec 28, 2008

Like already said, the hammer is under very little tension and if it falls off the the hammer block from "half cock", there is nowhere near enough tension to cause the gun to fire. Never heard of anyone having the hammer slip off the block, either. There is so little tension, that in older P3ATs, people often had the problem of "short stroking" the trigger where they would pull it after the first click, thereby not letting the trigger fully reset. This would drop the hammer, but the gun would never fire because there wasn't enough hammer spring tension to hit the firing pin and overcome the firing pin spring. This has been fixed with newer P3ATs, but you do NOT have to worry about carrying a P3AT in your pocket "ready to go" with a round in the chamber. I've done it for years with ZERO problems.

6. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach

I found this...it's a PF9 but basically the same thing.

[​IMG]

7. Drivebytrucker

Nov 22, 2008

thanks guys. The animation was great for showing exactly how the hammerblock works. The cc in me wanted to know its safe, while the engineer in me wants to know exactly how every moving component works..cant help it. thanks much guys.