Is the ammo shortage over???

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by abuck50, May 2, 2010.

1. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I just came home with 5 boxes of S&B FMJ .380! Best of all they only cost me $17.99 per box of 50! I found these at the Dundee Michigan Cabelas store. They have lots of it! On my way home from there I stopped at the Toledo Ohio Bass Pro Shop and found boxes of WWB .380 stacked on the counters of the gun display cases! It was also priced about $18 for 50. I bought UMC 9MM for $51.45 tax included 250 round Mega pack at the local gun shop!

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I was at Walmart today. Everything was in good supply except 380 and the lady behind the counter said they are still usually in short supply on 380 only. I didn't need any anyway.

3. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    This was the most .380 that I have ever seen! It was stacked in the ailse. My local Walmart hasn't had it for quite awhile now. My local gun shop owner told me Wednesday he was supposed to be getting some also.

4. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    sounds good! I'll have to go shopping and see what I can find.

5. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Yesterday I found two boxes at wally world 100 pack and a 50 pack got them both..every other cal. was stocked full.Maybe it!s coming to a end..I hope..

6. P-Denny

P-Denny Member

Nov 15, 2005
    I haven't bought ammo in quite a while (got into reloading), but last night when I was in Wal-Mart I checked out the prices. I was amazed to see that .380 was a dollar more per hundred than .45 ACP. Everything but .45 looked to be in stock.

7. JB

JB Guest

.380 is still scarce here.  I hear that some of the Wally locations get a little in here and there but it is gone before the next day.  Some of the gun stores have a little but it is 'off brand' stuff, only FMJ and still priced higher than I am willing to pay for offbrand range ammo.  Haven't seen any .380 premium defense JHP ammo on any local store shelf in about a year or so.  The gun show a couple of weeks ago also had some off-brand FMJ, for $30 to $40 bucks for a box of fifty, and no JHP anywhere in sight.

.38 Special ammo is still just about as scarce.  In fact, I didn't even see as much of it at the gun show as .380.  I thought supplies of it were returning as I saw some on the shelves at two or three local Wallys recently and those shelves seemed to stay stocked for weeks at a time.  I should have bought it when I had a chance, though, because it seems to have been simply a temporary reprieve.  Over the weekend, I checked four different Walmart locations plus one D ick's Sporting Goods and none of them had any .38 range fodder.  In fact, other than some Winchester PDX1 .38 +P at one of the Wally's, none of them (including D ick's) had any .38 ammo, period.  Last night I called the two Wallys that I pass on the way home from work and neither of them had any .38 Special, at all.  Gouger Mountain had a good bit of Remington UMC .38 FMJ on the shelf but they wanted $20 per 50.  If I get desperate, I'll pay that but since I can get 100 rounds of WWB at Wally for just over $30 (if they ever get any more in stock) I think I will hold off.  I may get 'desperate', though, because my wife is taking her carry class in a couple of weeks, plans to do so with a .357 loaded with .38s and needs to practice some between now and then.  I've got enough onhand for her to do that but then the cupboard would be running a little bare.

9mm, .40 S&W, .25acp, 32acp, .357 Magnum all seem to be in pretty good supply (seems odd to me that there seems to be more .357 than .38 as many of the loads use the same grain bullets and I'd think that .38 would be a better seller.)  I have noticed some .45acp and .44 Magnum around but haven't paid that much attention to how well stocked those are.  Rifle and shotgun ammo seem to be back to normal.  The local Wally locations are still low on .22 WMR but Gouger Mountain had a pretty good variety on their shelf last night (would still rather wait and buy that from Wally as they tend to be a couple of bucks cheaper per 50 of the same brand, type, etc. when they have it.)  .22LR seems to be coming out of the woodwork, now.

Also, as I keep planning to get into reloading, I checked Gander's shelves for that last night, too.  The only .38 bullets they had were some plastic 'practice' bullets.  That's it.

So, I say, "No.  The ammo shortage is not over."  Has it greatly eased?  Yes, but there are still some calibers that are scarce, unavailable or in so short a supply that what little ammo there is in those calibers costs entirely too much.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see even some calibers that seem to be plentiful dwindle back down before the end of the year.

8. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    The local Wallyworld here just yesterday was completely cleaned out of EVERY type of centerfire handgun ammo except for a few lonely boxes of .25acp that has been sitting there for months. ::)

9. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    Most definitely.  It's already started here in my neck of the woods in Arizona.  Wallyworld had tons of the Federal 9mm 50 round boxes for $9.47 each.  This lasted for about a month and now it's all gone, along with EVERYTHING else.  Around here, only people who "sit down to pee" shoot 9mm because .45 is "king" and has been out of stock forever.  Now, these OPPORTUNISTS have snapped up all the relatively cheap 9mm, too.  Not because they shoot it, but because they want to RESELL it and jack over everyone else. And, it's NOT a shortage of supply to Wallyworld. Several of these "people" had tons of it for resale this last weekend at the flea market. THAT's where it all went...and we all know it.

No surprise here as everyone knows the a-holes who are buying it up and reselling it at a HUGE mark-up at the local flea markets and independent gun stores.  >:(  These guys are all old retired farts who apparently have nothing better to do while waiting to die.  They stake out the three Wallyworlds here late at night and early in the morning.  You know...when most productive people are either spending time with their families, in bed, or getting ready for work.  ::)

10. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    wahhhh. how about a wahh burger and some french cries?

I have all my ammo, with no fears of running out. you should have purchased when the price was low and supplies were plentiful.

2 boxes per week add up over the course of a year or two.....

then you are not scrambling and can afford to buy when you find a deal....

good luck on your continued search for ammo.

11. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    Are we possibly compensating for something here?  I shoot both, and refuse to pee from any position other than while doing a gymnastics dismount from a tree limb, three stories up.

12. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    There was an ammo shortage?

[​IMG]

L4E - ducking and running for cover :)

13. Bert

Bert Banned

Mar 4, 2007
    Are we possibly compensating for something here?  I shoot both, and refuse to pee from any position other than while doing a gymnastics dismount from a tree limb, three stories up.
    [/quote]

Those of us who are vision inpaired and suffer a nervous tic have no choice. It beats mopping the walls.

B.

14. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    Wow, that's classy...from a moderator, too. ::)

15. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    [/quote]

Not me. Are you? I was the one looking for 9mm. It was always available because so many old .45 yahoos AROUND HERE say it's a "girl's caliber" and never bought any. Available until the hoarders/resellers bought it all up and NOT for their personal stash/consumption. To resell it at a VERY gouged price. ::)

16. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    IMO, you are not making any friends here. i would advise you to take your ammo complaints up with the distributor, or learn to purchase online.

no one really cares about an ammo shortage here anyways. see, if I have a box of lets say, .380 golden sabre, and a friend of mine, lets say princemorr2003, needs it, guess what, he got it.

lets say I have a box of hydra-shoks, and a friend of mine, lets say illogicalmethods2, needs some, guess what, he gets it.

around here, we all do the same for those we tend to respect. coming to argue will not get you any respect.

we also tend to let people know where the ammo is, and I have had other members of the board go out of their way to even find me ammo and get it to me....

there are ways.

truly, good luck in your search. it appears your gripe is with wal-mart. take it up with them.

17. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    So, not a SINGLE member here cares about ammo availability/cost, huh?

If "no one cares about the ammo shortage here", then why bother to do this? :p

18. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    because there is not necessarily what would be considered a shortage smart ***, some places just do not have it when I go there. or are not open when people can.

i think someone there has short d!ck syndrome. why not go get some 45 acp....

after all, only girlie men use 9mm.....

19. sviking

sviking Banned

Apr 30, 2010
    How classy...yet again...from a moderator.

I NEVER said that about 9mm. I was the one looking for the goddamned stuff. And, this is in a fuggin' .380 section, capice? But, I'd buy .45, too...if it were available. >:(

20. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    Look back at what you said in reply #8 in this thread.  Of course, under Clintonian rules of interpretation, "It depends on what your definition of 'it' is".  Sheesh.