Is the 3AT dialed in these days (versus LCP)?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by LH2, Dec 18, 2008.

1. LH2

LH2 New Member

Feb 4, 2006
    Any certain serial number to look out for?

Looking at LCP and 3AT, but my positive experience with the P32 has me leaning Kel-Tec.

Anything else to consider between these two? I don't consider the Ruger's slide lock a big deal.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Any serial number is fine, KT stands behind them all equally.

The slide lock is manual not auto.

There has been an exhaustive comparison of these two guns done in a number of threads in the "Other Guns" sub-forum.

Plus ... I think you'll find most people here are biased toward the AT for any number of reasons, valid or invalid.

So, to save you some time, I think the answer from here will be overwhelmingly in favor of the P3AT.

3. Cubriver_Kid

Cubriver_Kid New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    +1 on the 3at. I for one have many Rugers, but no LCP's for me. :)

CK

4. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    I got mine about 8 months ago. Mine shoots low, right at about 20 ft. (6") I just compensate for it. I also purchased a armalaser for it. With it, its all dead on. between 15 & 20 ft. Love it. Good Luck. Tom :)

5. tommyray

tommyray New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    I was actually looking for an LCP before I heard of Kel Tec, because of of a recommendation of a shop owner who carried one. Couldn't find one and started checking them out on line. Found out that they copied the KT. Started checking them out too, and found that the KT's seemed to have higher owner satisfaction marks than the LCP. Seemed that Rouger was still working out the kinks. So I went with the P3AT, and within a month I owned a PF-9 as well. KT Rocks!

6. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    i would go with the p3at over the ruger. i like the way kel tec will mail you replacement parts for your gun for free. ruger wants you to send the gun back to them for repairs. most things that go wrong with the p3at you can fix yourself at home. but we are seeing more p3at's that do not have problems.

7. k9pound

k9pound New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I was looking at both the LCP and the P-3at. I shop at AJI in Apache Junction, AZ. almost everyone there owned at least one P-3at. So I now own a P-3at. that is a great endorsement.

8. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    The LCP is a great looking little gun. I would have bought it over my P3AT had the shop had one in stock. I bought the P3AT and have not regretted it one bit. I carry it everyday!

Craig

9. jdmsds

jdmsds New Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Go KT, you won't be disappointed  ;)

10. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I own both. My LCP is fully reliable. I just got a P3AT yesterday. I already owned a PF-9. In my opinion you can't go wrong with a KT. My PF-9 is very reliable so too is my LCP. I fully expect my P3AT will be as well. It is beautifully finished and the fit is great. Go for it. You won't be disappointed.

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Early P3ATs had there share of issues. They have been gradually improved over the years. These days they are pretty much dead-on reliable with a nice fit and finish - better than ever. Early LCPs had some issues too. I haven't followed them over the past few months. I'm sure they work well but KT has 5 years experience on them. This is a new niche for Ruger. Compared to their traditional line, this has got to be a steep learning curve for them. My GP100 and P89 are tanks and work very well, but the LCP is not your father's Ruger. It is still Ruger's new kid on the block, in more ways than one.

12. diamond_jim

diamond_jim New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Love my old Ruger Single Six....BUT.....The problem with KT's, you can't eat own just one. Jim  <><

[​IMG]

13. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    That and look at the cost benefit. The 3at is much less expensive for basically the same gun. Why spend more for the same thing? I guess you are buying the ruger name but what does that prove if the design was from KT anyway.

btw, I just bought a 3at and am waiting to pick it up.

14. db71

db71 New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I bought my 3AT just before the LCP's came out. I was a little hesitant at first, with all the trouble some people were talking about. It was the only thing I could find that met my requirements, so I went ahead and got it. So far I have had zero trouble, about 500 rounds through it (FMJ and several different HP’s). I bring it with me every tome I go to the range, and put 20 or 30 rounds through it. It’s great for SD, but it’s not a plinker.

15. crzbiker

crzbiker New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    [quote author=diamond_jim link=1229641205/0#11 date=1232548099]Love my old Ruger Single Six....BUT.....The problem with KT's, you can't eat own just one. Jim  <><

Jim. Where did you get those grips? Those are way cool!

16. Cytor

Cytor New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I know you guys are going to start throwing rocks at me but I really like the ruger I went with it even though they had both at the shop I was at. the main reason Sights I know its a bug but I think every gun should have them. Other than the sights they are both awsome guns and I cant really find any fault with either. If you go with keltec youre going with probly the best costomer support I have ever seen and the original design. The ruger A more finished better looking gun with what I consider a few improvements that I dont think will need any costomer support and most of the extras for one wil fit the other. Either way you cant go wrong and either way I promis you Keltec is making money off of it since Im sure they sold the design to ruger. So remember Ruger show it off at the range /Keltec tell the story of how you made it youre own at the range. Its all about personal preforence.

17. CH

CH New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Are you happy with the purchase? That's what it is all about. I would of bought mine with no sights. I just practice from the hip ;D

18. ScatMelee

ScatMelee New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    that's a ridiculous statement to make without evidence dude! i think you better site your sources or take back that insane accusation. who do you think you are making such a potentially damaging claim, without proof?

19. shurshot1

shurshot1 New Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I had been waiting for an LCP for about 4 months after getting my carry permit. But, I kept looking and looking but found nothing. Nothing at the local shows either. Then I heard the wait was bout 6 mos. Got to talking with one of my range people. He showed me his P3AT and said he was very satisfied with it. He also said they had sold 5 LCPs and all 5 had to go back to Ruger for fixes. When I learned they had three P3s in stock, I just up and bought one. Haven't been sorry once since. Have about 250 rnds through it and narrey a problem (except for a couple of FTFs but they were my own reloads so shame on me. Now I have my Lee Factory crimper and expect no further problems). Still working on my normal carry ammo, been waiting for it over a month now. I really love that little gun!!! Cheers, Shurshot1

20. Cytor

Cytor New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    that's a ridiculous statement to make without evidence dude! i think you better site your sources or take back that insane accusation. who do you think you are making such a potentially damaging claim, without proof?[/quote]

WHOA there buddie! I didnt mean to demean Keltec or slander there good name. I take back that statement. However I am pretty sure that Keltec has A pattent pending on all there designs and in order for any company to produce a carbon copy of there gun wich it is clear the lcp is they would have to pay lawsuits. If ruger just jacked this design then shame on them but lets be seriouse this is the real world and theres no way. Anyway yea compact guns with high sloping feed ramps usually like either new or quality loads but everything I have put through the lcp mainly gold dot and fmjs/