Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I ordered the G17 grip from Kel-Tec for $50 to replace my G19 version. When it arrives, how complicated is it to change out? Are the grips simply a shell and I remove the screws and take off the old and replace with new? They simply snap in place?

Or do other components become released once I remove the screws, etc? Also will I have to transfer the mag release?

Thank you for any input. Not necessarily a gunsmith by trade. Don't want to get it open and mess something up.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
You'll probably need to transfer the magazine catch. And all of the trigger and hammer parts are in the grip halves. In fact, the barrel and bolt tube are inserted in each end. You'll need to remove the collar that holds the 2 halves to the bolt tube. You are talking about a complete teardown. There is a link in the FAQ to a downloadable PDF for the Gen 1. The internals should be similar enough you can use the step by step guide.

·
Registered
130 Posts
OP - Is it hard? Could be for some and not for others. All of the small parts including springs that want to fly away will be taken out and transferred to the new grips. Things have to go together in the correct way and sometimes in order. Watch the McCarbo video where they show how to install their trigger spring kit. It goes through the entire break down and reinstall of all the parts. They have other Sub 2000 vids too and would be good to watch. This should give you an idea of what's ahead of you. This would be a good time to change out any small parts like the trigger itself if you're so inclined.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1esszYk5daw&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1esszYk5daw&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright. Well I got the new grip on. That was quite a pain in the butt for me. Lol. Had to walk away. I got everything back together and was attempting to lock the hammer back to insert the safety and it wouldn't lock back. Tried everything. Finally took it all down again and put it back together. Now it's good to go. I'm assuming I didn't stage a spring or the sear correctly. Either way it's good to go now. Lol. Thank you all for your help. Especially the video. I used that one a lot. Then on their aluminum trigger guard video he had better lighting allowing me to see it better.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
And walking into my LGS today, there amongst the pistols, was a folded G17 sub 2000, gen 2. Brand new, only hung on the wall since the afternoon before. After a brief examination, I made an offer.... Not in this months budget, but it left in my hands. Already ordered the G19 grip, as I bought the G19 and the 30 rnd giggle sticks months ago. Seems waiting for the G19 version to actually surface vrs going this route will be significantly cheaper.
Now the real problem is going to be selling a couple of other toys in the cabinet to fund this one....
I've got my second Keltec now...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.