Is MCARBO Really That Good? What Products are Most Effective?

Discussion in 'Sub9 and Sub2000 Rifles' started by jaguar100, Apr 6, 2020.

1. jaguar100

jaguar100 Member

Mar 15, 2020
    So there are lots of threads that mention MCARBO. But I wanted to see if I could get a consolidated set of feedback about them in one thread. What are your opinions on their products?

Although their products look pretty cool and they have a good reputation, a few things about them are nagging at me.
    • their prices seem pretty high to me
    • the reviews on their website seem to be 'too' positive. I feel like there is a possibility of them being artificially controlled or cultivated? I could be wrong, in which case their products must be outstanding
    Question about a specific product - the recoilless charging handle. What do people think of this one? I'm debating whether to get it, but a small not overly complex machined part for $35 is a lot. Besides for it looking more ergonomic, does it actually mitigate recoil?

2. Blackkat

Blackkat Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2020
    Hello there again brother "Jaguar " , I can only speak on there stainless steel feed ramp and stainless steel hammer bushing pin. Especially the stainless feed ramp, I would have to say it made feeding at least a 50% Improvement or better with hollow points. Hollow points would scar and mar up the plastic feed ramp. I also noticed a difference when I would use the charging handle with hollow points and full metal jackets. So to me brother Mcarbo's stainless steel feed ramp and hammer bushing pin is very much worth it to me. The rest of there products I have been able to do with out up until now.

CaptDan25 and jaguar100 like this.

3. SixFootCow

SixFootCow Member

Oct 1, 2019
    After only 500 rounds I was already having issues with failure to eject. After changing the stock feed ramp out for the mcarbo stainless feed ramp the issues went away. I then purchased the recoiless charging handle and yes it made a huge difference as well.

CaptDan25 and jaguar100 like this.
  4. Stanley Chen

Stanley Chen Member

May 16, 2018
    DFW Texas
    I can't comment on what a "stock" S2K acts like since I bought mine with most of the M*Carbo parts already installed, but I can say that mine is hands down the most reliable 9mm of everything I own. I has taken my handloads that didn't work well in my handguns. I've had maybe 1 stovepipe.

As far as comments on their site is concerned, I'll say that I've gotten direct emails from the owner Chris Nelson checking up on how the part worked for me. And when I replied, he replied back, so it wasn't a automatically generated email.

I'm about to put in the last of the other M*Carbo parts from the list when they come in on Friday. I don't expect and less than what I've experienced, but I'll sure post about any issues if they come up.

CaptDan25 and Blackkat like this.
  5. jaguar100

jaguar100 Member

Mar 15, 2020
    Cool, thanks for the feedback Stanley. Too bad you can't compare it to a stock sub2k. With that said, if you have any feedback on specific components please do make note of them here.

Pretty cool though that Chris Nelson wrote to you directly to see if you were satisfied. Awesome way to run a business and treat customers if its feasible - some business too large for that personal approach. I knew he was the president, but I didn't realize he was the owner. I'll say one thing for sure - his videos marketing their products and on installation are excellent. Thought the newest where he cuts down on the caffeine are the best ;-)

6. silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    I have been using mcarbo products for a long time. Spring and trigger kits are excellent. Almost all the sub 2k items make it a much better gun. The spring kit for the sccy cpx-2 is a game changer.
    All their products have lifetime warranty.

Great people to deal with.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    CaptDan25, Blackkat and jaguar100 like this.
  7. Sub_Hank

Sub_Hank Member

Dec 6, 2015
    MCARBO is super quick to be personal. They sort of have an unintended monopoly (used loosely) on the S2K world. Yes, there are others, but not hundreds like there is in the AR world. I also quickly learned after a purchase, MCARBO runs their own forums too.

They are super friendly and basically hands on with their customers. They work hard for it.

CaptDan25 likes this.
  8. silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2016
    El paso texas
    The only issue I have had is with the hammer spring on my sub 2k. After several thousand rounds I had to replace.

9. GJM

GJM Member

Mar 15, 2020

The MCarbo group is great. I've used them for my modified Hi-Point 995TS (oversized mag release, large charging handle and better trigger spring). Owner replies to my requests and questions. Is veteran owned with a conscience. Prices are fair but warranty and customer service is worth it.
    GJM

CaptDan25 likes this.
  10. Stanley Chen

Stanley Chen Member

May 16, 2018
    DFW Texas
    Here's my analysis of these guys. They get the support they do for several reasons:
    • They're good, really good.
    • They focus on products/manufactures that others ignore and therefore automatically have a grateful clientele. They even have a spring to lighten the trigger pull on the Hi-Point C series!
    • This gives them the latitude to charge a little more.
    Combine "good" with virtually no competition in their area, and there ya go!

11. Gbp

Gbp Member

Apr 14, 2018
    I have purchased many pieces for my Ruger 9 mm PCC and other weapons. I’ve had no problems with Service, delivery, or higher prices. I don’t mind spending more for a completely veteran owned and operated business. Production, design, and shipping are all done by veterans. I have purchased parts from them for several of the weapons that they make including a couple of pieces for my P 32. I especially enjoy their installation videos which are quite beneficial for someone who is not a gunsmith. I’ve had nothing but positive experiences on my many dealings with them. I don’t always leave reviews but their service has always been first rate. I have never been disappointed, something I can’t say about others.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  12. Hamptgx

Hamptgx Member

Jan 16, 2020
    I mostly went with Hitech for most parts on my KSG but i installed the Mcarbo trigger upgrade, theyre prices are relative, kind of depends on if there is competition for the item. If you think theyre high check out HiTech.

13. TommyB526

TommyB526 Active Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Darien, IL
    I replaced nearly all the stock parts on my Sub2k with MCarbo. Screws, posts, springs, trigger guard & trigger, feed ramp & trigger bar (you’re aware of Chris’s install videos. Really easy to follow along & he does a detailed job of showing how-to step by step.) Some I didn’t use because I didn’t feel the need for recoil mitigation (I’ve got the 9mm). All the MCarbo parts were top notch and made my Subbie a much more reliable & accurate firearm. Only had two issues...when they first released the trigger bar, they got a lot of feedback on problems. They quickly identified & shared a fix. Had to round off an inside corner on the bar. Subsequent production fixed the problem. I also bought the extended charging handle. It snapped off one day at the range. MCarbo sent me a new one, no questions asked. But a couple months later the new one snapped as well. So I went back to the original charging handle.
    They’re a vet owned business and Chris is a class act. VERY enthusiastic & passionate. I bought a bunch of their stuff for my new Ruger PCC that I intend to install. But haven’t had a chance to get it to the range yet. I want to run a couple hundred rounds thru it stock before I switch anything out. But I’m confident they’ll improve the performance of that gun as well.

Blackkat, Stircrayzy and jaguar100 like this.
  14. jgillooly

jgillooly Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Like several people who have posted, virtually every Mcarbo addition has made my gen 2 sub a better gun. The forum is just a bonus.

jaguar100 and Blackkat like this.
  15. Silver Rings

Silver Rings Active Member

Feb 13, 2019
    After reading the discussion about the best way to mount a red dot, I bought the Mcarbo mount. I received it quickly even with the carona crap going on. The mount is well made and very easy to install. Sighted in today and it worked great. Only short coming is that when it's folded to the side it makes for a much wider package. This I can live with.

Pck

dred and Blackkat like this.
  16. JKB

JKB Member

Jun 18, 2018
    I've installed several MCARBO products in my sub2000 and several other firearms. I also plan to purchase more items in the future. I feel their products are of high quality and their "how to" videos are excellent. I definitely would not have attempted some upgrades myself until watching the videos and realizing I can do this. They also have the best customer care if you need them. My personal experience with them has been great and wish other companies would follow their example.

jaguar100 and Blackkat like this.
  17. ColdFire0200

ColdFire0200 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2020
    The parts are pricey in certain sense. They are of good quality and this is a niche market.

Inside I replaced the trigger assembly, SS feeding ramp and hammer bushing. The stock trigger pull is actually not that bad but since doing internal replacement is not easy I ended up replacing everything in a single run.

Outside I added bolt buffer, tube cover and buttstock pad. The pad makes it feel much better.

jaguar100 likes this.
  18. jaguar100

jaguar100 Member

Mar 15, 2020
    Thanks for that feedback ColdFire. How long did the trigger replacement take? And was it really challenging? How much of an improvement is it? I mean was it worth the cost and difficulty? I was not thinking of any of those internal replacements, but maybe...i was thinking of the external changes you made, esp the recoil buffer and tube cover. I was iffy on the buttstock pad. I find it painful paying $35 for something like that. I was also thinking about something for the charging handle. Either the recoilless handle, the pad for the handle or the skeletonized charging handle.

19. ColdFire0200

ColdFire0200 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2020
    Could not recall how long it took me, maybe 1.5 hours? I messed up twice, the first time I tightened the screws too much and the trigger could not reset and I had no clue but had to open it again checking what was wrong. Then I had some problems of keeping mag release in place (trick: put a empty mag in there as place holder) when trying to put everything back. So all in all it is moderately hard to do internal replacement for the first time. If I have to do another time it would be substantially easier for me.

Now is it worth all the cost and troubles? I guess it depends. Lots of people use stock parts and they are happy, others find it intolerable to use stock trigger. I personally feel the trigger pull is not that bad, but the metal trigger and trigger guard do feel nicer. Now I do think replacing the polymer parts (feed ramp and hammer bushing) is a good idea as in longer term they might pose reliability issues (why kel-tec uses polymer parts in the first place!?)

External changes (recoil buffer and tube cover) are much easier, you can do it in 5 minutes at most. The cost is reasonable. And they do improve the user experience to certain degree. BTW I got those from Tacticool and I assume they should be similiar to the MCarbo parts. I also got the charging handle cover from the same vendor.

The buttstock pad probably looks pricecy but I somehow found it well worth the asked price. I shoot left hand and the added pad makes it much comfortable to hold the gun and keeps my face away from the ejection port.

jaguar100 likes this.
  20. MadRonin

MadRonin Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    I wish MCARBO would stop making parts for the Sub2k. At least internal ones, lol. I've installed nearly everything they've made for the Sub2k. The only exception is the trigger bar and the hammer bushing. Tearing the gun apart is a PITA, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. That and the gun is my wife's PCC rifle. Last thing I want to do is make a change and mess up her competition toy. It will happen eventually, though.

The difference between the base gun and the gun with all of the MCARBO goodies is night and day. It really is a huge improvement over stock. And thumbs up for MCARBO, in general. I've installed their parts in a bunch of other guns. All with good results.

jaguar100 likes this.