Is it time to upgrade to the Gen 2?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BB42, Mar 28, 2011.

1. BB42

BB42 New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Greetings, KTOGers.  I've lurked here off and on since I purchased my Gen 1 P-3AT a few years ago (2003?) and have found this to be THE place to come when seeking answers to a problem.  When I initially shot my P-3AT at the range, I experienced a few FTF and FTE's, but after doing a bit of GoldenLoki's fluff and buff I'm having zero problems.

So the subject line says it all.  Though I prefer the appearance of my pistol, I'm beginning to believe some of the changes KT has made are worth the upgrade.  It also seems the holster and laser selections are all geared towards the Gen 2, and I'm a little concerned about parts availibility in the future for my Gen 1.

How does one go about the upgrade/trade?  Does KT charge you a modest fee?  Would my serial number remain the same?

I appreciate any information the members are able to provide.  Thanks in advance :)

BB42

2. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    If your G1 is working well I would just keep it. A "If its not broke, don't fix it" thing.

The only way I know that KT will upgrade from G1 to G2 is if there is some type of problem and they just can't repair it. I would think the slide is the main reason, they don't make or stock the G1 as far as I know. If it does break KT will fix it one way or another so I woundn't worry about repairs.

I guess you could see if someone would trade for their G2 but that would be a PITA.

CJ

3. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Why trade in a reliable pistol? If you decide to sell the 1G PM me.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    As was said, there is no official "Kel-tec upgrade option".  They have replaced only a few guns we have seen that they apparently could not or elected not to, at that time, repair.

All internal parts in the 2 generaltions are identical.  The 2nd gen gun has a different slide and extractor and lacks the recoil guide catch, as that part is built into the slide.  I am forgetting just now, but it seems like the 2nd gen barrels may or may not differ slightly and I can't remember if they fit both gen guns.

Anyway, for a while, from here, it looked like they weren't making any or many old 1st gen parts and they replaced some 1st gen guns with 2nd gen guns.  Then a few months back we saw them replacing some of those 1st gen parts when guns were sent for service and the 1st gen gun was returned to the owner.  Perhaps they make an occassional run of parts, and if they happen to have some on hand when you send a 1st gen gun in, they fix it.  If not, they replace it with a 2nd gen gun that bears your old serial number.

When the 2nd gen guns came out, Kel-tec posted on their sight that they would not upgrade you 1st gen pistol as a matter of course. They have never posted an official policy on reparing those older guns, or whether or not they still make parts, or how often they make parts, etc. So what I posted in the previous paragragh simple relects what has been reported here when members sent guns off for service.

Aesthetically, I prefer the 1st gen guns.  They have that cool curved, triangular top end on the slide and they are slightly lighter than the new models.  The "sights are a bit different as well.  The squarish, blocky slide of the 2nd gen gun is not as attractive IMO and reminds me of an (ugly) Glock.

Overall, I'd say the biggest rap on the 1st gen guns is that they were less out-of-box reliable, or required more effort to get reliable, than the 2nd gen guns.  However, if like mine and most others, yours is a good reliable weapon, I see no need to "upgrade".  In fact, I carry my 2nd gen gun almost all the time and save my precious 1st gen pistols.  2nd gen P3s are a dime a dozen...  metaphorically, that is.   :)      

5. BB42

BB42 New Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Thank you for the information and insight.  Hindsight being 20/20, in almost every case where I've traded or sold a firearm over the years, I've regretted it.  Three Colts...a Python, Detective Special, and Mustang, immediately come to mind :-[

6. TucsonMTB

TucsonMTB New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Tucson Arizona
    As usual, TxCajun nailed it.  Not only are they more attractive, but they are slightly lighter as well.

Now, if I can ever talk my neighbor across the street out of his . . .

Probably no such luck.  He is a LEO and his is 100% reliable as well as his off duty gun.  Oh, well.   ::)