Is it hard to swap grips?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by HOUSER52, Jul 17, 2010.

1. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Whenever I picked up my hard chrome/ black P3AT a couple weeks ago the shop also had a P32 in hard chrome/ OD green. I really liked that color combo but they didn't have a P3AT in stock.
    Now that I've learned the grips can be changed I'm thinking about calling Kel Tec next week, ordering a OD green grip and swapping out the black for the green.

Is there anything that I need to pay particular attention to when changing them?
    Is it a pretty easy swap?

Thanks

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    would you like to see a video?
    look in the FAQ/VIP thread for a post titled something like "replacing the frame by Beach"

I have never removed mine, but I think when you order from KT you should asked for an assemble grip (that has something already installed, i think)

3. theduke

theduke Active Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Warminster Pa
    Here is the video [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw[/ame]
    When I installed the metal mag catch in my P32, i remember the hammer block being the biggest PITA. This vid shows how easy it is.

4. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Thanks for the info. I just watched the video and read some more on disassembly. Good information.

I also read where it's recommended to order the grip with the hammer block and mag already installed as that would make it easier.

This should be a fun project and help me learn how the Kel Tec is made and operates.

5. justin3

justin3 New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    If you are getting one with the hammer block and mag catch installed already, it is VERY easy, and to be honest, you really won't learn that much more about the gun.

Last time I swapped mine out, it took me about 2 minutes tops from start to finish.

6. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    I'll know how easy the swap is in just a few days. I just placed my grip order with Kel Tec and since I'm fairly close I should have my OD grip pretty quick. The lady I talked to said they only sell the grip with the hammer block and mag catch already installed.

7. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    2 minutes, that means he stopped for a cold beverage in the middle..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

trust me, this is so simple even a cave man can do it.

8. remf

remf New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Gad dang it! I'm outta here !! :cool: