Is it a KelTec problem or the ammo used?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Wings, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Wings

Wings New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    I have a budy in NM that just got a new P3AT. On the first trip to the range it FTF the first clip and he stopped right there. The ammo used was Independence and no other was available.
    He called KelTec but I haven't heard from him yet.
    Any comments or suggestions.........???

Thanks
    W

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Independence is some crummy ammo. I'd clean and lube the gun, get some different rounds and shoot some more. Sometimes you need to break in the gun for it to work optimally. That can take a couple of hundred rounds. I certainly wouldn't stop after one magazine.

3. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    according to most handgun manufacturers manuals (yes, those booklets that come in the box), MOST handguns require at least 250 rounds before the manufacturer will even talk to you about problems.

There is a break in period almost all handguns need to go through, and to stop after one MAGAZINE of ammunition is a little overboard.

I would lube the handgun thoroughly following the instructions on this site, and go back and try again.

4. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    And while the Independence ammo may work fine, I would get something else to try and avoid it thereafter.  I think that stuff is crap.  JMHO. :-/

5. Dan-O

Dan-O Active Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Kansas
    I'd have him sell it to you, and then you can get it up and running in no time. :D

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    imo, wwb works best for break in. if the handgun will not feed good old wwb, then it really has issues.

ymmv. stay away from independence. just plain old dirty junk.

7. rls1158

rls1158 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I'm having the same problems with my new .380. Read the comments under FTF Galore thread. They should prove helpful. Good luck to you and your friend. :)

8. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    Ditto everything above. One magazine's worth isn't enough to tell you anything meaningful about the pistol (except maybe in the case of my first P-3AT, but that was an entirely different issue :eek: ). If he's still having this problem after say 30-40 magazine changes, then it's time to start worrying...or polishing! Outside of a Glock - or maybe my Hi Power - most automatics are going to experience a few hiccups at first.

9. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    While you're at it, have him check the 2mm extractor screw. If it is not snug, the result will be FTE.