Is anyone making the metal mag catches anymore?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Nakanokalronin, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Member

Apr 7, 2007
    I know I should'nt have hesitated buying one before when they were offered but I would like to just insert the mag from now on instead of holding the mag catch open everytime to prevent the catch from wearing out. I think someone else posted this question a week or two ago with no responses. Thanks

2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Re: Is anyone making the metal mag catches anymore

call kel-tec and get a spare of two.

i reitterate it, CALL them. then you do not have to worry.
    ;)

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Thankfully I have one. Wish I had gotten two.

How about we all call Kel_tec and plead with them to MIM (Metal Injection Mold[ing]) the catches? I'm thinking, in the long run, it would be a savings to Kel-Tec both in $s & reputation. Read that Kahr does it for the catches on their CW model pistols.

4. Re: Is anyone making the metal mag catches anymore

I am happy to report I have three metal catches, and I tired to get the molds and process information from Beach when he decided to stop making them.

Another board member was making them for awhile, but he is currently not available.

I know of no one doing them now, but I am considering making some in the future.  I know there is an interest in them, but right now I have so many irons in the fire I don't want to jump in yet.

Mine function great and allow me to slam in the mags, and I have never had a mag drop problem with the metal catches.

And ... I think they look vey nice!

[​IMG]

5. george

george Guest

I would like two (2) also. :(

Geo.

6. kimberbp22

kimberbp22 Banned

Nov 9, 2007

No, the slide stop is MIM versus machined. The mag catch is polymer with a steel "shelf" pinned to it so there is steel to steel contact with the mag body. That's how it is on my PM9 and all Kahr poly pistols. Check the link below and look at the first picture. No where is it mentioned that the mag catch is MIM.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/review_gm1205.html

7. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

No, the slide stop is MIM versus machined.  The mag catch is polymer with a steel "shelf" pinned to it so there is steel to steel contact with the mag body.  That's how it is on my PM9 and all Kahr poly pistols.  Check the link below and look at the first picture.  No where is it mentioned that the mag catch is MIM.

http://www.kahr.com/PA-1B/review_gm1205.html[/quote]

Thanks, I stand corrected.  :( But would'nt a MIM catch be better than a poly one?  

8. kimberbp22

kimberbp22 Banned

Nov 9, 2007

In the case of the Kahr mag catch, it wouldn't make a difference as it's already metal to metal contact where it counts. In the case of the non-steel reinforced KT poly catches, the yes, most definitely.

9. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX

imo, from experience, no it does not make a difference. they all wear the same. just at different rates.

my m&p goes through mag catches like it is going out of style.

my kahr did for a while too

virtually, of course

10. kimberbp22

kimberbp22 Banned

Nov 9, 2007

Did your Kahr have the steel insert in the mag catch? There are three versions. The oldest was all poly, like the KT's. The second had the steel "shelf" added. The third version, the one I have now, has the steel "shelf" enlarged so it covers the entire part of the catch that engages in the mag body notch. Call Kahr and they'll send you the latest catch for free. They even sent me an extra one.

11. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Member

Apr 7, 2007

Well if you ever decide to make them I'll definatly be in for one. I guess for now I'll get some stock back-ups.

12. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007

Let me know as well if you decide to make them.